Need help maintaining weight

Lost weight and now I am up 11 pounds ! I’m having so much trouble maintaining! Any help? I’m working out 3 times a week and trying to eat 1450
Calories a day but find that 2-3 days a week I’m cheating ! Help!?!?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    1450 to maintain?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Timescales?

What are your maintenance calories?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,905 Member
    trying to eat 1450

What does this mean? "trying"?

Where did you come up with that number?

I know how many calories per day I need to maintain my weight. I found that number by logging my food and exercise over a period of a few months. When I say I'm eating 2100 per day in maintenance, I know I'm pretty close. I still log my food and exercise. I still use a food scale for the food I make at home.

So if you figure out honestly how many calories you need to maintain the weight you want, then you'll know #1. If 1450 is the right number for you AND #2. If you are in fact eating close enough to the right amount.
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 988 Member
    When I put my goal weight as my current weight, MFP gave me about 1650 as maintenance. And that’s with a desk job. 1450 seems low. If you keep weighing your food and logging it here with a goal to maintain, your weight should stay FAIRLY consistent. Can you go back to tracking your food in the app?
  • JaimeJaimeM
    JaimeJaimeM Posts: 63 Member
    If you're trying to eat at 1450 and not able to do it, chances are it's just too low for you. That's why your weight keeps bouncing from loss to gain. Scale back reasonably and go from there.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    I weigh myself every day and if I see my weight slowly going up, I dial back on the calories until I'm back to my desired weight
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Lost weight and now I am up 11 pounds ! I’m having so much trouble maintaining! Any help? I’m working out 3 times a week and trying to eat 1450
    Calories a day but find that 2-3 days a week I’m cheating ! Help!?!?

OP, take thoughts with a grain of salt. I am regaining/bulking right now. From my experience, I agree you have not gained 11 lbs of muscle. If you are progressively overloading at the gym, you will gain some muscle. Time scale is very important as well. My experience in gaining weight is that I popped up weight rapidly when I first started eating in a surplus, about 3 lbs in 2-3 days. Then slowly tapered down. That 3 lbs was mostly water weight and food volume in my gut. I also noticed that my weight stair steps. I will gain nothing for a week or two... then bam... up a lb. So, maybe some muscle, some water, and some fat. Just my experience.
  • staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    trying to eat 1450

I know how many calories per day I need to maintain my weight. I found that number by logging my food and exercise over a period of a few months. When I say I'm eating 2100 per day in maintenance, I know I'm pretty close. I still log my food and exercise. I still use a food scale for the food I make at home.

So if you figure out honestly how many calories you need to maintain the weight you want, then you'll know #1. If 1450 is the right number for you AND #2. If you are in fact eating close enough to the right amount.

I also need about 2100-2200 to maintain. OP, you're probably binging because the daily total is too restrictive.
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    Them calories seem pretty low! Sound like calories to loose around 0.5 lbs per week. Then again idk your weight or anything. If she's short, it might be right, without exercise.
  • psychod787
    trying to eat 1450

I also need about 2100-2200 to maintain. OP, you're probably binging because the daily total is too restrictive.

I also agree about being super restricted. I am a restrained eater. I have learned that I like to pick and choose what is worth it to me. Dont be discouraged. It's all a giant learning curve. I am still learning every day. I think this will ALWAYS be a learning curve. Dont think of things has treats or cheats. Doing that helps me. I dont feel guilty when I look at things from a long distance. If I overeat one day. I just TRY to compensate through the week. For ME, it's not day to day. Its week to week. This lifestyle is the long game. To quote Denzel Washington from "Training Day.", "This *kitten* ain't checkers. Its chess."
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    I don't agree that sounds like too many calories for maintenance.
  • psychod787
    kbmnurse1 wrote: »
    You need to work out more and be more careful with your calories. 1450 for maintenance sounds like too many calories.

Exercise bulimia? Well... I have the adage move more eat more, but there is a problem with this. People THINK they burn more calories exercising than they do and they compensate more. To me, exercising to eat more is a FINE line.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    You need to work out more and be more careful with your calories. 1450 for maintenance sounds like too many calories.

Too many? How so?
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    edited April 2019
    MFP gives me 1460 calories if I plug in my current stats and choose maintenance. It is a valid calorie amount for some people. Just because you are young enough/active enough/weigh more or whatever so that you get more maintenance calories doesn’t mean that’s the norm for everyone. Even if I set my activity to active (to include my workouts) I only get 1870 for maintenance.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member

1450 calories for maintenance would be pretty low or otherwise be for someone who is not in the least active and very sedentary. On average a lightly active female will maintain on 1800-2000 calories. The only way someone is maintaining on 1450 is if they're basically doing nothing...which in and of itself wouldn't be a good thing.
  • psychod787
    edited April 2019
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

1450 calories for maintenance would be pretty low or otherwise be for someone who is not in the least active and very sedentary. On average a lightly active female will maintain on 1800-2000 calories. The only way someone is maintaining on 1450 is if they're basically doing nothing...which in and of itself wouldn't be a good thing.

I agree. If my memory holds up, some days it doesn't, the average American woman's rmr is about 1300 calories give or take. That's before you factor activity. So, highly doubtful she is "maintaining" on 1450 calories. When you take in account doe variations in food labels and even variations in weighing and measuring, it could be on the 1800-2000 range. Then take in the "most days" statement. 1+1 does not equal 2 here... jmho... hey @cwolfman13 , has anyone heard from @Anvil_Head ?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    psychod787 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

I agree. If my memory holds up, some days it doesn't, the average American woman's rmr is about 1300 calories give or take. That's before you factor activity. So, highly doubtful she is "maintaining" on 1450 calories. When you take in account doe variations in food labels and even variations in weighing and measuring, it could be on the 1800-2000 range. Then take in the "most days" statement. 1+1 does not equal 2 here... jmho... hey @cwolfman13 , has anyone heard from @Anvil_Head ?

He got the boot