Low Carb Yogurt

Hi All- Hoping someone could give me some insight into a DELICIOUS LOW CARB Yogurt I can try. I recently discovered Wallaby Aussie Yogurt and while it is probably the most yummy I've found, carbs are too high for my low carb life. Any and all suggestions are most appreciated.
Thanks!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Are you looking at the full fat stuff?
  • amykwi2014
    amykwi2014 Posts: 8 Member
    I'm not as concerned with whether it's full fat or not. Mostly concerned with Carbs and Protein right now. Thanks!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    amykwi2014 wrote: »
    I'm not as concerned with whether it's full fat or not. Mostly concerned with Carbs and Protein right now. Thanks!

Look at the ones that are full fat...
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,958 Member
    amykwi2014 wrote: »
    Hi All- Hoping someone could give me some insight into a DELICIOUS LOW CARB Yogurt I can try. I recently discovered Wallaby Aussie Yogurt and while it is probably the most yummy I've found, carbs are too high for my low carb life. Any and all suggestions are most appreciated.
    Thanks!

Full fat plain greek yogurt IMO. Fage is the brand I eat.
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 38,511 Member
    I eat fage 5% plain yogurt which is 7 grams of carbs
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,905 Member
    Well, all dairy has carbs/lactose. Full fat ones are the way to go.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    Full fat plus no added sugar or fruit, so plain whole milk.
  • nocgirl72
    nocgirl72 Posts: 139 Member
    Fage 0% is 90 cals, 18g of protein, 5 carbs, 5g sugar. IMO that is the best greek yogurt out there.
  • JaimeJaimeM
    JaimeJaimeM Posts: 63 Member
    Two-Good yogurt has been the one I haven't found anything to beat it. Runs about 2-3 grams net carbs I believe.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member
    Milk naturally comes with sugar in it (lactose). In most individual serving sized yogurts, you're going to be looking at at least 5-8g of carbs in just plain unsweetened yogurt. What would you consider "low carb" for yogurt?
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited April 2019
    The only way to lower the carbs in any yogurt is to strain it further. A good chunk of carbs will go out with the whey. The yogurt will be thicker and more cheese-like, and will also be higher in calories so be careful.

ETA: to calculate the calories in strained yogurt, weigh the resulting whey and subtract those calories from the original calorie count for the amount used.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    No yogurts are low carb, but greek (or something similar like skyr) will be the best option. As for the type of greek, it all depends on the amount you eat. Full fat will give you more calories with the same carbs (or a smaller serving size, so fewer carbs (but also less protein) than a larger serving size). You can fit in any kind of plain yogurt, though -- just look at serving size for the carbs you can afford.
  • dulcitonia
    dulcitonia Posts: 278 Member
    I’ve been low carb for many years and I eat plain Greek yogurt. It is only about 6carbs. I don’t do sweeteners so that is usually only kind I eat.
    Someone in the lowcarb group said Yoplait YQ is even lower but I have yet to try it
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Plain. Most of the carbs in yogurt are from added sugar and fruit.
  • deblcar
    deblcar Posts: 14 Member
    Have you tried Siggi's Icelandic yogurt? The plain only has 6 grams carbs, while the fruit flavored has 11-13 grams. Also, 16 grams of protein.
  • kellykiana
    kellykiana Posts: 26 Member
    Kroger Carb Master yogurt is actually pretty good! I like it with granola or putting it in my fruit smoothies with protein powder!
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    i haven't tried it but i saw a low carb yogurt at the store called Two Good - it had like 2g of carbs
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    kellykiana wrote: »
    Kroger Carb Master yogurt is actually pretty good! I like it with granola or putting it in my fruit smoothies with protein powder!

I was just coming here to suggest this. +1 for Kroger's carb master. 70 calories each, and good taste. Comes in a variety of different flavors.
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    ii will second (or third) the two good. ive liked the 3 flavors ive tried so far.
  • Dilvish
    Dilvish Posts: 398 Member
    Yes most yogurt has carbs from added sugar and fruit. Plain Greek or SKYR type yogurt is best. To add some flavor, I generally add a touch of concentrated lemon juice (virtually no carbs) or berries, which are typically lower in carbs than most fruit.
    I love mixing the plain yogurt with organic blackberries or raspberries. I also add some dark chocolate chips and pumpkin seed kernels and it makes for a delicious breakfast. Very high in protein.