Enjoyable strength training?

Hwlf84
Hwlf84 Posts: 18 Member
It has been amazing discovering I enjoy running (am on w7 of C25k and am running longer than I ever have in my life) but I’m really struggling to get into strength training. I know how important it is for bone density and other things.
I’m doing a body resistance based programme since I’m a beginner who can’t even do a half push up but I just don’t look forward to it...any advice on other things I could try? (Am a woman if that makes a difference)

Replies

• emmies_123
    emmies_123 Posts: 513 Member
    I guess it depends on your timeline and end goal. I can't speak for other styles, but I am focused on endurance strength at my own pace instead of quick buildup.

I found Jessica Smith TV and she is the only instructor I have stuck with over time. She has a ton of free videos on youtube, and if you go through her site the workouts are broken up based on what area you want to work out and your intensity level. She has a large variety that require little/no equip (most i need for my routines are handweights).

I also like the fact that when she posts a "challenge" program she makes sure to have dvd & Free youtube options for each day. She doesn't force you to buy her product to progress.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    I'm a runner, I don't really enjoy strength training but I also get injuries if I don't do it!

20 minutes 2 x a week is enough to support my running and help me reduce my bodyfat a little.

I do it because I have to, like brushing my teeth or paying my mortgage!

This is me, strength training is not my favorite thing either. But I'm pushing 60 and it is so necessary.

Keep trying new things. "Paper" workouts are boring to me. A gym is intimidating. So I use exercise videos. But even those aren't one-size-fits-all. I find the instructor is important to me. Kelly Coffey-Meyer is a favorite.
  • hlr1987
    hlr1987 Posts: 151 Member
    I picked up a barbell and weights off gumtree and started with a5x5 stronglifts app. It's not too long and I get a huge kick from the progress. And it has massively helped the running for me, much more than bodyweight, although I do suppliment both with some basic yoga /stretches to keep the niggles away.
  • Hwlf84
    Hwlf84 Posts: 18 Member
    Thanks so much for the advice everyone
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,311 Member
    I'm a runner, I don't really enjoy strength training but I also get injuries if I don't do it!

20 minutes 2 x a week is enough to support my running and help me reduce my bodyfat a little.

I do it because I have to, like brushing my teeth or paying my mortgage!

I’m the opposite - love strength training and don’t enjoy cardio, but do it because I have to! I run like a winded wildebeest.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    And I'm the freak who loves running AND strength training! Lucky me! B)

And I agree with the above poster who said it's important to strength train to support your running. Since I started with weights several years ago, I haven't had any injuries. (I used to have all kinds of problems.) I do a mix of free weights and machines, and I tend to do lower reps at higher weights.
  • Jess_Heartson11
    Jess_Heartson11 Posts: 18 Member
    Pilates might be a good one to try? Like you, I went from not being able to do a half/box push-up to full push-ups performed slowly in about 4-5 months. I started it to improve core strength to help me with ice-skating but it's had a huge impact in my overall strength and I feel great doing it.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    edited April 2019
    Until I ripped my plantar plate (ligaments in my foot), I was taking Spin class three times a week and doing HIIT (Interval Training) the other 3 times a week - that's a cardio exercise then a weight training exercise, then another cardio interval, etc.

Now I take straight weight lifting classes, no cardio intervals. You might like that too! Or you might like intervals - try them and see!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    Strength training isn't my most favorite thing in the world. I don't hate it, but I also don't love it. I do it namely because I like the aesthetic results and because most health organizations recommend at least 2 days of resistance training per week. I don't spend a whole lot of time in the weight room. My program is pretty basic and focuses on compound movements. I do an alternating push/pull split a couple times per week...takes me about 30 minutes or so. I'd much rather be out on the road on my bike.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited April 2019
    i do aerial yoga. it's both flexibility and body weight strength training. not much for lifting
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    If you don't enjoy it but want to do it for health benefits, I would find a basic "bare minimum" type of routine. "A workout routine" beginner routine looks simple and short. Who knows maybe you will find that you actually enjoy it after some time and want something more.

There's also things like pilates or bodyweight exercises