What Was Your Work Out Today?

Replies

• MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    30 minutes rowing (5 unstrapped @ aoyoke/Ann, you two inspired me to try that after years of not doing it). Very pathetically slow pace (around 2:30) and then 30 minutes on the AD Pro Bike, again slower pace.

Didn't fall back on the rower but I had a really hard time keeping the feet flat and on the platform. Tells me I still need work.

Though I'm getting impatient with rowing paces, I'm going to keep the plan and just keep working back in meters slowly and let the paces come to me. I'm around 18 seconds off the "slow" paces I was doing just 4 months ago. Got to be patient, though, working back from back injury.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    30 minutes rowing (5 unstrapped @ aoyoke/Ann, you two inspired me to try that after years of not doing it). Very pathetically slow pace (around 2:30) and then 30 minutes on the AD Pro Bike, again slower pace.

Didn't fall back on the rower but I had a really hard time keeping the feet flat and on the platform. Tells me I still need work.

Though I'm getting impatient with rowing paces, I'm going to keep the plan and just keep working back in meters slowly and let the paces come to me. I'm around 18 seconds off the "slow" paces I was doing just 4 months ago. Got to be patient, though, working back from back injury.

Nice. I'm glad my antics and the collective wisdom was a useful inspiration! Good luck with regards to regaining your split (you had to stop because of injury and moving right?). I realized on Sunday that I need to start erging again instead of only rowing on the water. 1. it's good in terms of cardiovascular fitness (I'm not good enough at rowing on the water to get an equally good cardio workout - just watch, I say that and tomorrow will be a bunch of long pieces) and 2. my weight loss is slowing down somewhat significantly and augmenting my outdoor rowing with erging would probably help with that assuming I treat the spring like I did the winter in terms of my eating habits.

Mind you, I have all of 24 pounds to get to the high end of my goalish weight and I'm ok with moving towards that goal relatively slowly (my goal is to be light enough able to race in a lightweight 4 at regionals next year - I am short enough to be a lightweight while not having too little fat). I suspect I'm essentially going to do the beginner Pete Plan, though I'll likely move through it slower because six days of exercise a week is typically one day too much for me and, when the river isn't unrowable, I row three days a week on the water. I'm also starting on week 3 instead of 1.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Went cycling at the park, awesome day here and I really enjoyed the sights and sounds of spring :)
    Might do a shoulder workout tonight....might save it for the morning cause there is some hockey and basketball games that I might sit down and watch!
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Back on the training pony today. Alternating pull-ups and chin-ups 50 reps in 12:14 - 50 bar dips in 8:33 and 2.88 miles run in 30 minutes (run 5:15 walk 0:45 for 5 rounds) - awesome Spring weather day.
  • BrindleRun
    BrindleRun Posts: 28 Member
    2 mile run with my 3 year old in the jogging stroller.
  • queenoscots
    queenoscots Posts: 44 Member
    I swam a mile's worth of laps.
  • aokoye
    Rowing for 40ish min before spending the other half of practice in the launch. It felt good to be back on the (very fast) river again. Also I saw a river otter!
  • eromligyppah
    eromligyppah Posts: 112 Member
    21 day fix dirty 30 extreme... so far.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,193 MFP Moderator
    Lifting... followed by a 6 hour car ride. Hope to swim when we stop...
  • wyec123
    wyec123 Posts: 13 Member
    Propelling my 232 pound body (aka roadblock) up and down hills for the last half of my 2 mile walk--heading strait into a 20 MPH wind. Need to become more aerodynamic for sure.
  • bobshuckleberry
    bobshuckleberry Posts: 281 Member
    Short walk at lunch. Mile walk in the evening before BootCamp at CrossFit. 15 stations twice through each station and then 5 ab exercises before dismissal.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    2.5 mile hilly run, should have been 3 but legs still more tired than I thought
    1hr sports massage on legs
    Circuits (last one before London)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    walked the dog a mile this morning.

Weight room at lunch

12 mile ride this evening when I get home provided the spring winds don't kick up.
  • Makeyourdreamshappen
    Makeyourdreamshappen Posts: 48 Member
    Workout today:

Got out of bed LOL
    Danced and sang while listening to my morning playlist and embarassed my kids in the process #winning
    Stationary Bike 14 minutes. Would have made it to 15 minutes but my kids were being trolls.
    Tonight I will go cardio drumming! Kid free! :D 2 hours of intense cardio.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited April 2019
    Did 40 minutes of AD Pro intervals for 90 second sprints and 60 seconds off (slow pedaling). Then 15 minutes on the rower for cool down.

@aokoye - yeah, I hurt the back doing rowing with terrible form on a "low rate" CTC ("Cross Team Challenge" for online monthly competitions between clubs). Was thinking (or not thinking) that I could break 20 minutes on a 5K @ 19 SPM. Not a great idea when my PB is only a bit under 19:30 for the 5K! I finished with a decent time (for me) and finished my back for three months and counting. Wife was livid because we had a move coming up and I was growing to get out of a chair.

Doing OTW with the BPP (beginner Pete Plan) would be a challenge. We have a lot of OTW rowers join our virtual club in the Winter months and then fall off and compete in the OTW season. I don't blame them, too demanding doing both. The huge advantage of OTW is obvious, it's more fun and the live comradere. Plus, you have someone live, everyday you row, watching your form. That's the disadvantage to indoor rowing. Though I've gotten pretty decent at it, even my form slips a lot in subtle ways and, before I know it, I'm in sloppy habits that are hard to break.

The main advantage of indoor rowing is mental self discipline. We have first time OTW rowers stunned at some of the mental brutality that some of us indoor folks put ourselves through. Especially former college crew. They HATE 2K tests. Despise them. It's like someone waterboarded them in college. I quite enjoy the full Pete Plan, doing as many as four of them in a row. Indoor rowers also have amazing control of pace. I know many indoor rowers that can throw out an hour on the erg with identical SRs and paces every single split nearly every time. Not that OTW rowers don't have that but they are not as into metrics from what I've seen. They leave the metrics up to their coaches and the cox and just are great "foot soldiers". Let's face it, if you're college crew, you do 200K a week, so they break them down mentally so they don't think, just do.

I also envy OTW rowers. The new house was between Tucson (in the mountains) and Chandler (near Phoenix). Chandler has an OTW rowing club that crosses over to indoor training. It would have been right down the road for me. We chose Tucson, so I might have to wait till retirement to actually get in a real boat!
  • aokoye
    @MikePfirrman I'm sorry to hear that about your back. I remembered correctly that you hurt it, but not how you did so. I suppose if there's one thing I'm good at, it's knowing when not to push myself when I fear injury (vs "omg this is really hard but I won't hurt myself if I keep going").

The only way I'd be able to do BPP is if I modified it because I'm not willing to workout six days a week right now (see injury and high potential for burn out). Ideally it'd be something like Mon: OTW, Tues: erg, Wed: rest, Thurs: OTW, Fri: erg, Sat: OTW, Sun: rest. With that schedule I'd do say, week three (the week I started this week) workouts across one and a half weeks. So Tuesday I did workout 1/3, Tomorrow will be 2/3, and next Tues will be 3/3 as I'm not doing the optional two. If I rowed on the water five plus days a week there's no way I'd be able to erg another two days, unless I had the ability to take a nap in between OTW and erging. If and when begin learning how to scull, this plan will be thrown on the window ;)

Over the winter I was doing 3-4 sessions of erging (over 3 days) a week and one day on the water. Those workouts...even the shorter evening ones were killer. That's also probably why it was so exceedingly easy to create a deficit.
  • Deanner03
    Deanner03 Posts: 371 Member
    Took an hour long yoga class.
  • jnomadica
    jnomadica Posts: 280 Member
    Two 30 minute walks.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Sore from yesterday's back on the fitness pony workout so today is officially a rest day.
  • bross57
    bross57 Posts: 15 Member
    edited April 2019
    I walked a mile in the surf along Cocoa Beach in Florida. Kicking through the water is good resistance. I would usually walk much further, but I’m fighting a cold right now, and they say that I should be resting.