Roller Skates

Just got a pair for the first time since I was twelve.. and fell, and hurt myself, and didn't get back on the horse.

But I did that with biking once upon a time, and it's my favorite sport now, so I want to try this. Who skates? Anyone start recently and feel as awkward as I do? Anyone been going a while, crosstraining, do it all the time, whatever? Would love some new friends!♡

Replies

• eromligyppah
    eromligyppah Posts: 112 Member
    I roller skate whenever I can. My kids love to go, we just need to get to the rink much more often.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    I do roller derby. I highly suggest you invest in some pads of you are shaky. ESPECIALLY wrist guards. If you wear nothing else, wear wrist guards. And yes, I've broken my tailbone and my wrist while roller skating (when I was too stupid to wear pads).
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    I love roller skating!!! Its an amazing exercise. If you live in oregon, you can come skate with me :)
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    I play roller derby. You HAVE to wear wrist guards at the very least, it's too easy to *kitten* yourself up. Also try skating a bit knees bent and weight forward, so that if you do fall you don't do a cartoon slip and crack your tailbone and even your head.

I've been playing on skates for 8 years and am stable and pretty good at it by now, but am so used to my safety gear that I wear most of it any time I'm on skates no matter what. A)you never know what is gonna happen, a kid ran in front of me one time and I ate it, B)I've got too much stuff to do to be nursing unnecessary injuries and C)I'm used to it being there and skate and fall as if I'm wearing it whether I am or not.
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    I used to play a lot of ice and roller hockey. Love skating! So definitely don't skate on straight legs, bend your knees, lean forward. Go slow, be in control until you gain some skating skills. Definitely pads, i would suggest knee pads too as well as the wrist pads. Long pants and long sleeve shirt will also help with road rush if you fall. Get low to the ground, somewhat, don't just skate standing straight up. Also, if you happened to have roller hockey rink near you, go skate there. Much more smoother and nicer experience, and won't hurt as bad falling down. Stay within your abilities for sure. Good luck and be safe.
  • thank you guys!! definitely got wrist pads, and of course a helmet. no knee pads yet but good to know on that. derby sounds nuts!!;)
  • Jess_Heartson11
    Jess_Heartson11 Posts: 18 Member
    I don't roller skate, but I do ice skate and I love it!! it's so mentally rewarding as well as good exercise. I fall ALOT. But the more you fall, the less painful they get as it becomes muscle memory to fall in the correct positions.
    I felt so awkward when I first started, as the kids were doing double and triple jumps and I couldn't even stop. Got a lot of funny looks from the parents too.
    Just keep telling yourself why you're doing it and don't be too hard on yourself if you can't do much at first, and the awkwardness will soon stop :smiley:
  • mcemino2
    mcemino2 Posts: 427 Member
    Roller and ice skate, usually 4-5 hours a week. 20 years playing ice and roller hockey. Really enjoy it, great workout and much less impact on your knees as long as you don't fall.