Dealing with tailgaters

jruch23
jruch23 Posts: 1,069 Member
edited April 2019 in Chit-Chat
How do you guys handle it when someone is right on your back bumper? Such a pet peeve of mine. Had a guy right on my butt tonight and it's not like I was going slow either. Actually about 5 miles over the speed limit. My car is loud and has some power so when I got an opening in the other lane I down shifted and got away from him and he didn't follow. Maybe he got the clue. Good way to cause road rage bud. So aggravating

Replies

• projectsix
    projectsix Posts: 5,088 Member
    It's not only a pet peeve but I take it for exactly what it is which is a threat. I handle it appropriately.
  • jruch23
    Yeah it's like they are just trying to see what I'll do. I seriously wanted to brake check them but I like my car too much. I have headers and no catalytic converters so it's extremely loud when I get on it. I think they got the idea
  • projectsix
    projectsix Posts: 5,088 Member
    edited April 2019
    jruch23 wrote: »
    Yeah it's like they are just trying to see what I'll do. I seriously wanted to brake check them but I like my car too much. I have headers and no catalytic converters so it's extremely loud when I get on it. I think they got the idea

Well, I don't know if they're pushing you to see what you'll do but maybe sometimes. Mostly though the purpose is that they're pushing the limitation of space of contact between your vehicle and theirs to try and threaten that contact which in essence is a collision. People don't truly grasp how severe this threat really is because if you hit your brakes for whatever reason you need to, they hit you and you have to deal with a severe neck injury the rest of your life this can impact your career, social relationships and your overall quality of life. This can drastically affect all aspects of life.

I do not take kindly to someone threatening my quality of life unnecessarily because they feel they need to get somewhere. I don't like it at all and handle it appropriately each time.

Edit: They are in essence threatening you with a weapon just like the courts handle manslaughter by vehicle. It's a lot more serious than people recognize.
  • jruch23
    Yeah I was in left lane and we were passing the cars in the right. I was going to let him pass me in the left but they couldn't wait so they got so close to me I couldn't see their headlights anymore in my rear view mirror....oh that got my blood boiling. What if it's just one lane then? Good advice otherwise.
  • jruch23
    projectsix wrote: »

Well, I don't know if they're pushing you to see what you'll do but maybe sometimes. Mostly though the purpose is that they're pushing the limitation of space of contact between your vehicle and theirs to try and threaten that contact which in essence is a collision. People don't truly grasp how severe this threat really is because if you hit your brakes for whatever reason you need to, they hit you and you have to deal with a severe neck injury the rest of your life this can impact your career, social relationships and your overall quality of life. This can drastically affect all aspects of life.

I do not take kindly to someone threatening my quality of life unnecessarily because they feel they need to get somewhere. I don't like it at all and handle it appropriately each time.

Edit: They are in essence threatening you with a weapon just like the courts handle manslaughter by vehicle. It's a lot more serious than people recognize.

Yes I agree. I just wanted to drive home in peace but there's always someone who wants to ruin it for you. I don't like it at all either. And yeah if I had to slam on my brakes for whatever reason they definitely would have hit me. So it made me feel uncomfortable and wanted to widen the gap
  • jruch23
    Lol that would just piss them off more
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Lol that would just piss them off more

Especially if you fill the reservoir with pancake syrup instead of wiper fluid.
  • jruch23
    Haha the syrup wouldn't go very far. I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets pissed when you have a tailgater. Thanks guys. Still interested to hear more responses
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    How do you guys handle it when someone is right on your back bumper? Such a pet peeve of mine. Had a guy right on my butt tonight and it's not like I was going slow either. Actually about 5 miles over the speed limit. My car is loud and has some power so when I got an opening in the other lane I down shifted and got away from him and he didn't follow. Maybe he got the clue. Good way to cause road rage bud. So aggravating

I rage inside whenever people drive like dicks. I know it's dumb, but I slow down and follow the "rules" to a tee.

I consider it a personal assault on my life when people "endanger" me with their *kitten* or illegal and aggressive driving.

My big problem lately (and I don't know, I want to report it because its dangerous) is on my way to work people cut in to a "non lane" to turn left like waay, waay before the turning lane. They are in a lot of cases driving in oncoming traffics space and in other instances in a double yellow (no cars allowed to drive part) and it scares me to pull into the lane when it's legal (all the dip-*kitten* zooming up behind me in the non lane)

On Monday I saw a school bus do it...just zooming along into incoming traffic for like 50 m before the turn lane (this is in-town, no passing on on-coming traffic situation)

Can I report it? It's a every day concern with one intersection in particular where the traffic gets slow.
    Anyways...I feel a bit of shame that I wish punishment to those a-holes who think 1 minute time saved = an ok choice for driving like a jack-*kitten*
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    I go EXACTLY the speed limit. 5 over was to slow? Well now you get 0 over.
  • jruch23
    Yeah I would report it. A cop needs to sit there and see what's going on and put an end to it. That's an accident waiting to happen
  • jruch23
    I go EXACTLY the speed limit. 5 over was to slow? Well now you get 0 over.

Yeah and when I got away from them I was going way over the speed limit! I was ready to state my case if I got pulled over by a cop
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    When in my car, I just slow down until they go around.

99% of the time, when riding my motorcycle, I speed up until they disappear in my rearview. 1% of the time I might be a little more aggressive. Have been known to toss a ball bearing over my shoulder.
  • newmeadow
    newmeadow Posts: 1,295 Member
    Once I'm driving, I adjust my rear view mirror so I can't see who's driving behind me.

Not kidding.

And it really works.
    Tailgaters don't even exist to me anymore because I can't see them and I like it that way. And it eliminated most of the stress associated with driving.

Try it.