Sauce substitutes

Hello!
The most amount of calories in my meals are usually from sauce.
I can't seem to find "light" versions of sauce I would usually use, I was wondering if anyone knew any brands or recipes to cancel out this problem. I like spice and flavour. This is also a problem with gravy and curry which I'm not sure what to substitute with, any advice?
Thank you

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    "sauce" is pretty broad.
  • avlucia
    avlucia Posts: 66 Member
    I LOVE honey mustard(sweet baby Ray's is my life) so if anyone has a suggestion for an alternative or recipe (preferably tested) please let me know!
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    What kind of sauce do you like to use? If we know what you like, we can suggest similar alternatives.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    what types of sauces?
    I've heard of Walden Farms making low calorie sauces but I've never tried them.
  • Florida_Superstar
    Florida_Superstar Posts: 194 Member
    Not sure what flavors you're going for as others said. But check this out:

http://www.hungry-girl.com/go-to-guides/show/fifteen-condiment-with-fifteen-calories-or-less

I just googled "low calorie sauces."
  • silviaaimeefit
    silviaaimeefit Posts: 19 Member
    That is a very generic question. Do you have any examples of foods in which you would like a sauce substitution?

My favorites for adding flavor are cooking with lots of garlic, using hot sauce, and most marinara sauces tend to be pretty low calorie as well.

Thank you this is helpful, sorry I know I havent been very descriptive as I wanted a broad range of answers, usually for salads and wraps that sort of thing as I don't enjoy salad without a lot of flavour, thanks
  • silviaaimeefit
    Ldenzel wrote: »
    I love Bolthouse Farms dressings. The creamy dressings are yogurt based - they're lower calorie and taste so much better than "light" dressings. The ranch is only 45 calories for 2T. The oil based dressings have even fewer calories - the Italian is 25 calories for 2T. I've loved the flavor of every one that I've tried so far.

Thanks so much, you are very helpful
  • silviaaimeefit
    apullum wrote: »
    What kind of sauce do you like to use? If we know what you like, we can suggest similar alternatives.

Usually garlic/chilli and also gravy and curry, sorry for not enclosing this but thank you for your interest
  • silviaaimeefit
    Thanks everyone for you help
    xtrain321 wrote: »
    Not sure what flavors you're going for as others said. But check this out:

http://www.hungry-girl.com/go-to-guides/show/fifteen-condiment-with-fifteen-calories-or-less

I just googled "low calorie sauces."

Thank you!
  • silviaaimeefit
    Thanks everyone, great help
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    Hello!
    I can't seem to find "light" versions of sauce I would usually use, I was wondering if anyone knew any brands or recipes to cancel out this problem. I like spice and flavour. This is also a problem with gravy and curry which I'm not sure what to substitute with, any advice?
    Thank you

A lot of the calories in curries come from the coconut milk. "Light" coconut milk is just coconut milk plus water, so I buy full fat and add home-made chicken stock. My masaman curry recipe calls for 600 ml - I use 400 ml coconut milk and 200 ml stock and it still tastes exactly like the restaurant. I use even less coconut milk in Tom Ka Gai and for this it no longer tastes exactly like at a restaurant but it is still very good.
  • silviaaimeefit
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Hello!
    Thank you

A lot of the calories in curries come from the coconut milk. "Light" coconut milk is just coconut milk plus water, so I buy full fat and add home-made chicken stock. My masaman curry recipe calls for 600 ml - I use 400 ml coconut milk and 200 ml stock and it still tastes exactly like the restaurant. I use even less coconut milk in Tom Ka Gai and for this it no longer tastes exactly like at a restaurant but it is still very good.

Wow this is very helpful, I'm sure a lot of people will use this including myself! Many thanks!
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited April 2019
    Some of my favorites (besides the standard dijon mustard, hot sauce, wasabi, other typical stuff)
    (Note: excluding Waldon Farms stuff because of how godawful most of them are):
    y6d7akgj1dyz.png
    q3wghnrbe8cs.png
    0blqj8j85a5s.png

lowest kcal/fat Alfredo sauce I've come across so far:
    hneruy3ohdwa.png

• silviaaimeefit
    Wow looks good, thanks so much
  • echmain3
    echmain3 Posts: 231 Member
    Use spices instead of sauces.

• nocgirl72
    nocgirl72 Posts: 139 Member
    I am an absolute condiment queen. I gotta fave them.

For ketchup I mix Walden farms 0 cal ketchup with Heinz reduced sugar ketchup

For BBQ sauce with my chicken I use waldenfarns 0 cal bbq sauce and mix with with the GHughes sugar free bbq sauce someone posted above it’s really good for 10 calories. Or I mix in la Victoria red taco sauce or trappys red hot sauce.

For fish I made a low cal tartar sauce it was tummy I found recipe online.

• silviaaimeefit
    yirara wrote: »
    Don't eat salad it you don't like it. If I make curries that do have a creamy sauce (proper curries are actually mostly water-based) I use skyr instead of double cream as it has a lot less fat but still tastes creamy and fresh. If I make a something that requires coconut milk I either use low fat (very meh!) or again skyr and add some dessicated coconut. My curries tend to consist of about 100gr meat, a huge pile of veggies, 70-80gr rice, and a fairly small amount of sauce as this is enough to get the proper taste. You can do many mayonnaise based dressings with a mix of mayo and yoghurt. Why use a huge pile of pesto if just tossing your pasta in a smaller amount is likely enough.

I think it might be a bit of a mindset issue: Indian restaurants all over the world teach us that lots of meat and hardly any veggies swim in a huge bowl of sauce. Nobody in India would likely eat like that. Scale down on sauces in general, still get the taste but enjoy what you put into it instead of drowning it.

Thank you so much, this sounds like such a good idea