Tips for exercising in a busy life

Anyone have tips for fitting exercises into a busy day?
Perhaps simple things to gently increase fitness throughout the day

Replies

• riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Wake up early. Once I get busy with work...I often have the same issue. coming home after a long day can also be a real challenge.
    If you really cannot do it...but honestly try. I would recommend walking as much as possible. Like park blocks away from work, take the stairs when possible, take movement breaks (I was able to get 10000 steps in at work by making sure I got up every 45 mins or so and went around our building, taking stairs etc. I sometimes sneak pushups or squats in during these movement breaks as well, especially if I know I wont be able to hit the gym.
  • katamarann
    katamarann Posts: 7 Member
    I have the same issue but i got around it by walking up early(like riffraff2112 mentioned) and hitting the gym, yea first few days its hard but then you get used to waking up early.Trick for me was to go to bed a little early as well.Tried my best to go after work but always had a handy excuse for self ranging from "too tired" to "not in the mood" to "its too late to go now".
  • silviaaimeefit
    silviaaimeefit Posts: 19 Member
    Wake up early. Once I get busy with work...I often have the same issue. coming home after a long day can also be a real challenge.
    If you really cannot do it...but honestly try. I would recommend walking as much as possible. Like park blocks away from work, take the stairs when possible, take movement breaks (I was able to get 10000 steps in at work by making sure I got up every 45 mins or so and went around our building, taking stairs etc. I sometimes sneak pushups or squats in during these movement breaks as well, especially if I know I wont be able to hit the gym.

Thank you, this is helpful!
  • silviaaimeefit
    silviaaimeefit Posts: 19 Member
    katamarann wrote: »
    I have the same issue but i got around it by walking up early(like riffraff2112 mentioned) and hitting the gym, yea first few days its hard but then you get used to waking up early.Trick for me was to go to bed a little early as well.Tried my best to go after work but always had a handy excuse for self ranging from "too tired" to "not in the mood" to "its too late to go now".

Thank you, I'll definitely try this
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    My Fitbit helped motivate me to do more. Sometimes I’ll walk 5-10 minutes several times per day. Other times an hour at once. It all adds up. Sometimes I walk outside. Other times barefoot in my pajamas in the living room.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,707 Member
    Anyone have tips for fitting exercises into a busy day?
    Perhaps simple things to gently increase fitness throughout the day

I climb stairs at work. I work in a 10-storey building so I climb to my floor in the morning and coming back from lunch, and then I get up once or twice and do the full 10-storeys and maybe more.

I also walk to get places ... between work and uni, to run errands, as part of my commute, etc.
  • PineAndSalt
    PineAndSalt Posts: 22 Member
    I walk around my building on my break. Take the stairs. Park further away in the parking lot. If you can in the morning or at night, lift weights for 10 minutes. You can focus on one area a day or multiple, but do it every day. Squats are good. I also lay in bed and do a about 50-100 bicycle crunches. You’ll feel a good burn without sweating.
  • bjdw_1977
    bjdw_1977 Posts: 442 Member
    If you sleep at work this can be your recovery time and you will be able to exercise at night.
  • daraswritermom
    daraswritermom Posts: 2 Member
    Inculcating exercise into your busy schedule is really important and guess what? you don't always have to stop what you are doing to exercise. check out some tips I put up in this article https://twisted.fitness/blog/exercise-and-fitness-tips-for-busy-careerists/. I hope you find it useful.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,427 Member
    Inculcating exercise into your busy schedule is really important and guess what? you don't always have to stop what you are doing to exercise. check out some tips I put up in this article https://twisted.fitness/blog/exercise-and-fitness-tips-for-busy-careerists/. I hope you find it useful.

Lifting light weights as mentioned in the linked article isn't really useful. If you want to do resistance work, use a resistance level that challenges you for the planned number of repetitions.

Best of luck.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    I keep a Dumbbell near my desk and work in hour blocks with around 45 to 50 minutes on, take a quick break for coffee or to use the restroom. Two days a week, I do 20 pushups, 15 or so overhead presses each arm and either DB Goblet squats (12 to 15) or heavy KB swings, right next to my desk. People make WAY too much out of lifting. Then find ways to work in cardio. I do an hour of rowing and assault bike for my lunch and then eat lunch after a quick shower while working. It's all about efficiency for me.