Best Concert You've Ever Seen?

Replies

• Cowsfan1 wrote: »

This is a tough one... Muse is incredible live, Chris Cornell as a solo act and with Audioslave... amazing as well. Robert Plant was killer, mostly cuz of all the Zeppelin tunes. A Perfect Circle were incredible... Incubus.... so many more. I can't answer this.
    I can say that one of my all time favourite bands were horrible live, Deftones... I was so disappointed.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    So many good ones, it is hard to pick just one. My top three:

Phoenix, with Cold War Kids and The Arkells - December 2017 - all three bands put on an amazing show, and in a very cool venue (historic Cain's Ballroom, Tulsa). Phoenix is my favorite so of course that was the evening's highlight for me.

Tori Amos - November 1996, when she was really at her peak as a performer IMO

Tears for Fears - Summer 2015, I thought it would be "kinda neat" to see a band I liked on the radio as a kid, but my husband and I were both completely blown away by their concert...truly EXCELLENT live. Now we're both actual fans and didn't see that coming.

My biggest disappointment was the Pixies, not because they weren't fantastic (they were)...it was just so technically perfect that it was almost boring.
  • Dakase83
    Dakase83 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Hard to compare when all the concerts I’ve been to are of different genres.. Kiss, Fall Out Boy, NKOTB, Dropkick Murphys, Luke Bryan, ICP, Kenny Chesney, Jay-Z, NOFX and the list goes on!

I can say the concert that I had the best time at, was the NOFX show.
  • Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    edited April 2019
    I would probably have to say Godsmack. Great musical talent, stage presence, knew how to work the crowd, not overly produced/overly theatrical. Probably second would go to Papa Roach.

Least favorite goes to Avenged Sevenfold. Struggled to sing in tune and too many theatrics (I felt they used pyrotechnics to overcompensate lack of musical skill). Big disappointment, however not surprising if you listening to their first album. Shows how much the subsequent albums are highly produced.
  • Cowsfan1
    Cowsfan1 Posts: 7,937 Member
    Cowsfan1 wrote: »

This is a tough one... Muse is incredible live, Chris Cornell as a solo act and with Audioslave... amazing as well. Robert Plant was killer, mostly cuz of all the Zeppelin tunes. A Perfect Circle were incredible... Incubus.... so many more. I can't answer this.
    I can say that one of my all time favourite bands were horrible live, Deftones... I was so disappointed.

Man ida thought deftones would be great - never saw a perfect circle but did see tool - Maynard is an evil fuggin weird genius -
  • StarliteTara
    StarliteTara Posts: 298 Member
    I've been to several concerts myself but I easily can pick a favorite. I attended a concert in Memphis, TN on MudIsland called the Carnival of Madness tour. Shinedown was the headliner who I'm obsessed with but the other artists were, We As Human, In This Moment, Papa Roach and Skillet (another one of my favs). The weather was perfect being that MudIsland is an outdoor arena, that was a big deal. I've seen Skillet and Shinedown multiple times since but that concert was like 6 years ago and still ranks as my favorite.
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,819 Member
    I've seen many great concerts so it's hard to say... from the Grateful Dead to the Allman Brothers, from Clapton to Springsteen to Mellencamp to the late, great Stevie Ray Vaughn. I've seen Buffett many times, great Bluesmen like the late greats BB King and Bo Diddley (got to shake hands with both), and Buddy Guy.

But probably my favorite concerts were those of Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes...

😍🥰
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    edited April 2019
    Circa 1998: snuck around the "backstage" barriers at Warped Tour. The guys from Rancid were like, "Come here! We love fans!" Not necessarily my kind of music, but they were super nice to goofy teen girls with no backstage passes.

Most fun: GWAR-B-Q...metal, beer and a pool.
  • SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,864 Member
    Small Venue: Jonathan Richman at Cedars in Youngstown in the 90s
    Medium Venue: The Hold Steady at the Beacon Theatre in NYC in 2010
    Large Venue: Iggy Pop at Randall’s Island, NYC in 2004 (part of Little Steven’s Underground Garage Festival which also included in that day Big Star, The Dictators, Nancy Sinatra, The Strokes, The New York Dolls, Bo Diddley and many others)
  • LoKoMi
    LoKoMi Posts: 51 Member
    Circa 1998: snuck around the "backstage" barriers at Warped Tour. The guys from Rancid were like, "Come here! We love fans!" Not necessarily my kind of music, but they were super nice to goofy teen girls with no backstage passes.

Most fun: GWAR-B-Q...metal, beer and a pool.

OH MI GOSH GWAR! I saw them way back in the late 80s. Wild times!

I was into the local punk/metal scene. Good times! None of the bands made it big, and 35 years later a few are still trying.

I saw so many concerts. Now at age 50 I couldn’t pick a favorite. I had much different criteria for a “good” show when I was 18. My first concert was Journey with Bryan Adams opening. I saw Ozzy Osbourne with Motley Crue opening. Saw Iron Maiden a few times. Depeche Mode, Erasure, Fugazi, Black Flag, Public Enemy, B52s, first Lollapalooza... all good!

And I sure as heck wish concert tickets were still 10 bucks.

No, I did NOT leave off a zero 🤣

My daughter paid an unthinkable amount of money to see Ed Sheeran, and she believes it was worth it. I can’t even comprehend spending the equivalent of a car payment on a single ticket 🤷🏻‍♀️
  • amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,862 Member
    I prefer festivals mostly. The best show was Dillinger Escape Plan. The just go apeshit live, so much energy.
  • Bucknutz247
    Bucknutz247 Posts: 224 Member
    I saw kid rock/uncle kracker at Bethal woods in ny. Awesome show
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Elton John and Billy Idol in Sydney! Amazing. Billy was so hot... omg.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Ok I'm very jealous anyone saw David Bowie and Prince. Ha.. but guess what someone came right up to me at his concert in Australia.. ok he's dead now. Sad. Michael Hutchence flirted with me. Honest. True. He stared straight into my eyes. He walked right up to me.....a zillion years ago but he did.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,386 Member
    I'm openly jealous of @TheRoadDog I've hit into the hundreds, but fall short of 800 shows.

But even with fewer concerts, really hard to pick a top, or even top 10 show. For a single day event, US Festival 1983 had to win.

Quiet Riot
    Mötley Crüe
    Ozzy Osbourne
    Judas Priest
    Triumph
    Scorpions
    Van Halen

For a single performer, super hard to pick, so I'll rattle off some that will always stick in my head.....

Eric Clapton (very small venue)
    Buckcherry (amazing energy)
    Rush (consistently accurate and long sets)
    Kid Rock (you can't hide talent when live)
    Santana (it's like the music flows from him)
    Chevelle (better live than studio)

.... and way too many more to even think of.

Most recently was a fairly unknown in the western world band called One OK Rock. A Japanese rock band that fills big stadiums in Japan. Amazing stage command, and performed like a much more seasoned band. During the encore the singer noticed a female fan in distress up front. Stopped the song, was hands on in helping her out and getting some medical help, and showed true concern for the fan. After cheers of crowd approval, jumped back into the encore and continued killing it.

That last one will stay on my list for a long time. For the performance itself, but it was also an out of town trip with my daughter, and the first show we traveled for that we both really wanted to see.
  • CaptainFantastic01
    CaptainFantastic01 Posts: 9,557 Member
    Relient k was pretty good because immediately before I accidentally ran into the lead singer and I was still able to get to the very front.

But really the best concerts I’ve been to have been for no name bands in the park or whatever
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    ACDC in 2009. The energy those guys had at their age was incredible.
  • Bullet_with_Butterfly_Wings
    Bullet_with_Butterfly_Wings Posts: 5,545 Member
    edited April 2019

Man ida thought deftones would be great - never saw a perfect circle but did see tool - Maynard is an evil fuggin weird genius -

@Cowsfan1
    The band played amazing. It was Chinos vocals... just awful.
    Plus, I lost my glasses and sprained my ankle pretty bad as the show started so it was tainted from the start! 😅
  • Cowsfan1
    Cowsfan1 Posts: 7,937 Member

@Cowsfan1
    The band played amazing. It was Chinos vocals... just awful.
    Plus, I lost my glasses and sprained my ankle pretty bad as the show started so it was tainted from the start! 😅

Mosh pit - or just a random accident?