Exercise suggestions for those bedridden by injury?

i recently injured my leg on a work trip and i've been told i need to be pretty much bedridden for the next few days, and that all weight bearing high intensity or impact exercise is banned for the next 8 weeks...

anyway i want to try and maintain as much cardiovascular fitness/conditioning as i can in this very sedentary period. does anyone have any suggestions for exercises you can do in bed? preferably ones that get your heart rate up.

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    There are seated cardio vids on youtube you can try. Shadowboxing, medicine ball wall slams, and battling ropes are other options
    There are also strength exercises you can do, for chest, back, shoulders & arms. If you need help with that, tell us what equipment you have.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    I wouldn't worry too much about cardio for the next few days while you're in bed. After that are you able to do standing or walking or low impact? Or seated only? Non-weight beating and low impact are two different criteria,
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    edited April 2019
    I agree that you need to stay in bed and rest for the next some odd days if you're actually being told that you need to be bedridden. In terms of what you can do after that, you need to talk with your doctor and/or physical therapist (if that's applicable) ask for examples of what you can do as well as ask for reasons why they don't want you to do specific things. Once you know why you can't do something, that might make it easier to figure out what you can do as you'll be able to know whether or not an activity contradicts your limitations.
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Once you’re able, I’d suggest getting to your local pool and swimming with a pull buoy. It’s one of the best cardio exercises to maintain fitness whilst not putting any weight on a leg/ankle/foot injury.