Dealing with tailgaters

Replies

• SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,864 Member
    jruch23 wrote: »
    projectsix wrote: »
    jruch23 wrote: »
    Yeah it's like they are just trying to see what I'll do. I seriously wanted to brake check them but I like my car too much. I have headers and no catalytic converters so it's extremely loud when I get on it. I think they got the idea

Well, I don't know if they're pushing you to see what you'll do but maybe sometimes. Mostly though the purpose is that they're pushing the limitation of space of contact between your vehicle and theirs to try and threaten that contact which in essence is a collision. People don't truly grasp how severe this threat really is because if you hit your brakes for whatever reason you need to, they hit you and you have to deal with a severe neck injury the rest of your life this can impact your career, social relationships and your overall quality of life. This can drastically affect all aspects of life.

I do not take kindly to someone threatening my quality of life unnecessarily because they feel they need to get somewhere. I don't like it at all and handle it appropriately each time.

Edit: They are in essence threatening you with a weapon just like the courts handle manslaughter by vehicle. It's a lot more serious than people recognize.

Yes I agree. I just wanted to drive home in peace but there's always someone who wants to ruin it for you. I don't like it at all either. And yeah if I had to slam on my brakes for whatever reason they definitely would have hit me. So it made me feel uncomfortable and wanted to widen the gap

Always?
  • RunsWithDogsWI
    RunsWithDogsWI Posts: 31 Member
    I am the tailgater :D I mean, j/k, I'm not actually that close or tailgating. But I do tend to drive faster than the speed limit. Just let me get around you, I'm not actually trying to make your day worse--you're barely a blip on my radar. I can see the road ahead for miles because we're driving through farmland so I know you don't need to slam on your brakes. And I know where all the staties hide because I've been driving this same stretch of farmland highway for the past 10 years and have never been pulled over. (If you see me slow down, it's because I know state patrol like to sit in that bend where the trees or the berm hide them)

Is it people potentially passing you that makes you angry? I notice people frequently speed way up and/or take offense and try to cut in front of my car when I pass them in the open left lane, even though it's a 4-lane so there's no need to even notice me for more than a few seconds.
  • RunsWithDogsWI
    I always try to remind myself that I have no idea what's going on in that person's life who happens to be tailgating me. There might be an emergency, an appointment they need to get to, they might be having a much worse day than mine, etc.
  • Rockin_reese
    Rockin_reese Posts: 103 Member
    I don't drive, but it's annoying when people come too close behind me. What's worse is trying to get through a mob (school, checkout line, whatever) and the people in front of me appear to have less than zero respect for time. :#
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,366 Member
    In town, where I do 95% of my driving, brake check. One of these days I'm going to get rearended by a texting driver.
  • RunsWithDogsWI
    ythannah wrote: »
    In town, where I do 95% of my driving, brake check. One of these days I'm going to get rearended by a texting driver.

I mean, if you want to potentially get cited for reckless driving and/or failing to maintain distance between vehicles in the event that you brake-check and cause an accident, go for it. Tailgating and brake-checking are both potentially illegal actions.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,366 Member
    ythannah wrote: »

I mean, if you want to potentially get cited for reckless driving and/or failing to maintain distance between vehicles in the event that you brake-check and cause an accident, go for it. Tailgating and brake-checking are both potentially illegal actions.

I've never known anyone to get ticketed for brake-checking here, just the rear-ender. I'll take my chances.
  • RunsWithDogsWI
    Ticketing brake checkers definitely happens in my state.
  • RunsWithDogsWI
    JimDew wrote: »
    I’m an angry driver. It takes a lot of work to not brake check them and give them the finger

But like...why? Idk, I just do not understand the outrage over people just driving faster than you (general you, not you specifically) choose to drive? Like you said, just let them by and then they're someone else's problem.
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    It bugs me to. The speed limit around me is 100 i try to stay the limit but others around me are going 110 or faster. I refuse to speed. I can't afford the tickets
  • Cowsfan1
    Cowsfan1 Posts: 7,937 Member
    It bugs me to. The speed limit around me is 100 i try to stay the limit but others around me are going 110 or faster. I refuse to speed. I can't afford the tickets

Where you be homie?? Europe??
  • thereshegoesagain
    thereshegoesagain Posts: 1,056 Member
    edited April 2019
    When I lived in the mountains I commuted to work on a one lane each way road. Some oher locals thought they owned the road.
    I became the queen.of using turnouts to let them go by. Often it was the same cars over and over. A couple of times, I came around a curve and found them off the road, into a tree. Fortunately there weren't any major injuries, just damage to their cars. I wonder if it was worth it to them.
  • bannock_and_biceps
    bannock_and_biceps Posts: 82 Member
    i always slam on the brakes. what do i have to lose? *only do it when i'm by myself obviously with nobody else in the car*

that keeps them off. i drive a small vehicle. i've gotten the finger and frankly i don't care because i find this such a disrespectful thing to do. be aware of the space between your car and the other person's. and don't take your life's issues out on the road. it's dangerous!
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Tailgaters don't bother me so much...just pass me fool...it's the dick-heads that drive in a non lane, or in on-coming traffic lane (in town, where there is no passing)
    ...that stresses me out...and then when they want to cut back into the actual lane..fuuckk-you...NOPE
  • RunsWithDogsWI
    Cowsfan1 wrote: »
    Agreed - you knew 2 miles ago the lane was merging but wanna wait til last second to merge c’mon man

Wow. You know zipper merging is the recommended and correct way to merge, right? It keeps traffic flowing faster for everyone behind the zipper merge point. People who get butthurt over someone correctly executing a zipper merge are my pet peeve.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    I slow down, take my time, and if they happen to try to change lanes and go around me then I quickly speed up so they can't get in front of me, lol. This is only during rush hour traffic when it's most important to NOT tailgate, easily causing accidents which is the worst during rush hour. Any other time I just get over if I can and let them do whatever.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Cowsfan1 wrote: »
    Agreed - you knew 2 miles ago the lane was merging but wanna wait til last second to merge c’mon man

Wow. You know zipper merging is the recommended and correct way to merge, right? It keeps traffic flowing faster for everyone behind the zipper merge point. People who get butthurt over someone correctly executing a zipper merge are my pet peeve.

I've literally never heard the term "zipper merge".