I have a new goal :-\

The Enchantment Lakes is one of the crown jewels of the Cascade Range. It's like a miniature Yosemite with active glaciers, austere basins that time forgot, and lots of mountain goats. I've only seen part of it with my own eyes.

You have to win a permit in a lottery to sleep there, I've tried for years. So I'm going to do it as a day hike. Ideally 3 to 4 days it's appropriate. The trail is 18 miles end to end with 5,000 feet of elevation gain in the direction I'll do it. The trail is very rough. After about 5 miles I'll have to go over Aasgard Pass, half the uphill of the day in 3/4 mile. This is a higher commitment factor than I like, there's no turning back after the pass and sleeping along the way isn't an option.

I'm going to go in July when it'll be mostly melted out, and the sun will be up from 5 am until 9 pm. I need to figure out whether I'm better off getting a very early start or extra sleep, I don't want to still be on the trail after dark. I'll have to lose as much weight as I'm able to between now and then. And figure out the bare minimum I can get by with.

I hiked 13 miles today and a couple more running errands, so I'm not too worried about the distance. Add everything together and I'm kind of on the fence about whether I can do this with only a reasonable amount of sore. But I'm not getting any younger, it won't be any easier in 10 years, and the writing on the wall says there will be permits for day hikers.

enchantments-hiking-wa.jpg

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    That's awesome! My friend got a pass on her first try this year! (She's going with someone else, not me.)
  • cheriej2042
    cheriej2042 Posts: 241 Member
    Looks absolutely stunning can’t wait to see your pics. I say go early because when the sun goes down it’s dark, disorienting, and cold. Always better to watch the sunrise.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Early start for sure. It’s easier to hike by headlamp when you’re fresh and looking forward to the sun coming up than at the end of a tough day when you’re tired and stumbling. People who dayhike Mt. Whitney routinely start at about 2:30 in the morning.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,730 Member
    Can you camp near the trailhead so you can get an early start? Looks like a beautiful area.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    whmscll wrote: »
    Early start for sure. It’s easier to hike by headlamp when you’re fresh and looking forward to the sun coming up than at the end of a tough day when you’re tired and stumbling. People who dayhike Mt. Whitney routinely start at about 2:30 in the morning.

I have a friend who's thinking of coming with me. He wants to start around 1 or 2 am. And be on the way to the pass for sunrise. That would mean lots of time to enjoy the place instead of being on a death march through it. I'm wondering if being so tired would slow me down, I should try it one weekend and see how I react.

If I can get a friend to come with, we can leave a car at each trailhead. :smile:
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    I can't even fathom hiking 18 miles with a 5K gain in elevation in a day. My hat's off to you. Please post back with pictures :)
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Make sure you take some sort of water purification system with you so you can drink enough without having to schlep too much heavy water.
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 701 Member
    Looks wonderful, what a great goal.
  • NorthCascades
    whmscll wrote: »
    Make sure you take some sort of water purification system with you so you can drink enough without having to schlep too much heavy water.

I have a good map, so I know where all the water sources are. I have a light filter, I'll only be carrying water a few miles at the end. :smile:
  • NorthCascades
    edited April 2019
    Here's the second most infamous section of trail:

chant092.JPG

I'm doing the route one way, I'll be going down the rebar ladder. Face in where it gets steep. You can see a guy at the bottom towards the left.