Anyone reversed prediabetic condition

Hello folks,
I just found out that my A1c is 5.6 and fasting glucose is 100.
Anyone here who had similar situation (prediabetic) and reduced the numbers?
I am have started running every alternative evening and burpees. Strong lifts on the alternate days when I am not running.
Trying to maintain low carb high protein diet.
Thanks!

Replies

• glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,582 Member
    Lose weight. :)

Er...if you need to. Probably shouldn't assume you're not at a reasonable weight.
  • PapillonNoire
    PapillonNoire Posts: 76 Member
    Yup- I had numbers slightly higher than yours. Losing 50 lbs. got everything back into the normal range. I didn't pay any attention to lowering carbs- I would say about 50 to 60% of my calories come from carbs on average. The weight loss alone did the trick for me- that and I'm far more active than I used to be. Best of luck!
  • zeejane4
    zeejane4 Posts: 230 Member
    I normalized prediabetic glucose numbers by losing the excess weight I had (around 50lbs). That alone was enough to correct the issue.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,219 Member
    From what I can see there are studies showing how diabetes 2 is completely reversed by losing weight. Thousands of people there have done it. No need to look for anecdotal evidence IMO.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,531 Member
    Yup
  • texasredreb
    texasredreb Posts: 541 Member
    My levels were nearly identical to the OPs. I haven't been retested yet as it's only been about 6 weeks since I started getting serious about losing the weight. I hope to see improvement the next time I go in.
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 787 Member
    I tested prediabetic at my highest weight of 194lbs I'm 5'4. I lowered that to a healthy range when I got into the 170s.
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Diet and weight loss. However you want to achieve it. When I worked in Endo, just adding a 30 minute after dinner walk did wonders for type 2 patients and their insulin control.
  • ghanghor
    ghanghor Posts: 2 Member
    Thanks for all the replies. Actually I am a skinny person. height - 5'11" weight - 150. Its the skinny fat I am trying to reduce. Hopefully, will reduce the weight and go for clean bulk.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Losing weight reversed mine although doc says I may still have an issue when I get older. Currently sugars are normal and I no longer take any meds for it.
  • OooohToast
    OooohToast Posts: 257 Member
    Hello OP! You havent said what your weight and height stats are which would help :) I know you can be a normal weight yet still slip down the slope to T2. Your waist measurement would also be useful. With your A1c of 5.6 you are only just entering the danger zone I think ?

Yes, I managed my BG previously pretty quickly by going High Fat Low Carb (Protein can fuzz your glucose levels in certain situations) and not watching calories (so stayed fat).

The Newcastle diet is of great interest here in the UK in terms of proving that a short and sharp shock dietwise can reduce the internal fat on organs. The thinking is that its this type of fat which reduce the bodies ability to manage insulin (sometimes referred to as slim on the outside, fat on the inside). The short sharp shock being its 800 calories a day and its all meal replacements, duration being determined by your current weight.

My BP then went up so it was time to take action ! As I am not a fan of meal replacements, I have taken HFLC principles and applied them in the spirit of the Newcastle diet (800 cals baseline) and I eat back half of any exercise calories earned (capping it at 400) so tend to level out at 1100 - 1200 per day. On top of that, I do 16:8 fasting window. Its been 9 weeks now and I've lost 32lbs and I feel pretty good. Blood pressure has improved massively, blood glucose wasn't appalling but has improved and generally I feel way better. If you have any thoughts about going that low on calories to reverse your risk of T2, then its probably a good idea to talk it through with your GP/MD.

Good luck !
  • miakelaa
    miakelaa Posts: 43 Member
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,531 Member
    Isn't it an open question whether going from sedentary to active or more and / or achieving exercise targets also has an independent effect?

Not dissing the weight loss/visceral fat reduction part, obviously.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Isn't it an open question whether going from sedentary to active or more and / or achieving exercise targets also has an independent effect?

Good point. I also started walking daily. Could have been a factor as well.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    I cut carbs way down. Increased fat intake.
    A1C will inside normal. Doctor doesn't even test it anymore for annual physical.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited April 2019
    PAV8888 wrote: »

I think it does. I have recurring back issues that leave me bed bound sometimes for several weeks. When that happens, my blood sugar goes up. Not enough to put me in the pre-diabetic range, but in the high normal instead of my usual mid normal. For reference, my main activity is walking followed by running.