Vegetarian/vegan

heathernacarato
heathernacarato Posts: 1 Member
Hey y’all! I’m a vegetarian teen that’s aspiring to be vegan. However, I’m in a household of meat eaters. I want to start eating healthier and preparing my own meals and I was wondering if any of y’all had some good easy recipes that I could try?

Replies

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    I have plenty; I've been working my way through the 1,000 Vegan Recipes cookbook, recipe by recipe for a few years. What sorts of dishes are you looking for?

https://www.vegetariantimes.com/ has good recipes. Their searchability is a bit poor (in the sense that you can search on, for example, "main dishes" OR "tofu" OR "Italian cuisine" but you can't search for Italian mains containing tofu. And if you're searching on a specific ingredient, the search function won't weed out if, say, your search is on "carrots" and there's a tempeh dish which, in the short description, says, "try serving this with mashed parsnips and carrots.") but there's a huge selection.

Also, not trying to be snarky, but speaking as someone who's been cooking and baking since preschool (Mom handled the oven part until I was a little older), what's your definition of "easy"?
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    When I stopped eating meat, I was in college and I had little time/money/desire to buy groceries and cook. I just switched the meat in recipes for its Boca/Morningstar/etc. equivalent. (This was back before we had nice things like Gardein or Beyond Meat.). That was the easiest thing for me at the time. I would make things like a “hamburger helper” style pasta with soy crumbles, or a “chicken” sandwich.

There are also a lot of books marketed as “student” cookbooks that have quick/easy/cheap meals. Search for “vegan student cookbook” and see if one strikes your fancy.

My favorite cookbook today is Vegan with a Vengeance, followed by Veganomicon. Anything by Isa Chandra Moskowitz is good, really. Those recipes may be more involved than you’re looking for, though.
  • sheloves89
    sheloves89 Posts: 88 Member
    edited March 2019
    I was a veggie teen in a household of meat eaters - I feel your pain! We had far less palatable veggie meat replacement options when I was growing up, but Boca burgers have come lightyears in terms of flavor, and I've never met a Quorn product I didn't like. =]

If you're looking for super, super, super easy, my go-to in high school was brown rice + vegetables (frozen mixed veggies) + a scrambled egg (you could replace the egg with tofu to make it full vegan).

To cook brown rice: 1 cup rice + 2 cups water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat, then drop heat to low, cover, and simmer until the water is gone. If you have an Instant Pot, put 1 cup rice + 1 cup water in, close the valve, pressure cook on high for 12 minutes, and then let it depressurize normally (will take about another 20 minutes).
    For the veggies, I would just microwave about a cup of frozen mixed veg in some water, then drain the water.
    The egg is easy enough, but if you're wanting tofu, it's going to take an extra hour or so to drain/marinate, so give yourself time. I go for Extra Firm tofu. Let it drain for about 25-30 minutes by putting it on a plate lined by paper towels, and then put a second plate on top of it and weigh the top plate down with something (I usually use a saucepan with some water in it). This gives it a denser texture. Once it's drained to your liking, cut it into small squares and put it in a dish with a little bit of soy sauce or teriyaki sauce in it, and let it marinate covered in the fridge for about 30 minutes or so (the longer the better, but 30 minimum). You can eat it as-is, or stir fry it in a little bit of oil over medium-high heat until it takes on a golden color. Mix it in with your rice and veg, top with some more soy sauce or some mustard or some salsa or a bit of cheese or hummus or tzatziki sauce or whatever you enjoy. =]

If you don't want to microwave your veggies, you can stir fry them the same way you do the tofu. Or you could steam them! Put a saucepan with water over high heat, get it boiling, and then put a colander on the saucepan, toss your veggies in and cover them. The colander doesn't have to fit, you just want to make sure your vegetables aren't actually in the water (unless you want to boil them, in which case, forget the colander completely!). For fresh, leafy vegetables like spinach and kale, steaming will take less than a minute; for stemmier vegetables like broccoli, they'll take about 2 minutes. You want them to be bright green, but not soggy.

And if you don't like rice, you can replace that with almost anything - quinoa, pasta, etc.

I also ate a lot of potatoes, both russet and sweet, which I also often topped with vegetables and an egg. Sweet potato + black beans + egg + salsa is still one of my faves! Russet + broccoli/carrot/cauliflower (you can buy this as a bag of mixed frozen veggies) + yellow mustard is really good, too, imho, though a bit lacking for protein.

To cook potatoes in the oven (both sweet and russet): wash them, dry them, rub a little bit of oil and salt/garlic powder/black pepper on the outside, pierce them all over with a fork, and put them in an oven preheated to 425F for 60-75 minutes. You can wrap them in foil if you want, but I usually don't (the skin crisps up nicer that way) - just make sure you put a baking sheet on the shelf under them if you don't put them in foil. Especially sweet potatoes, they like to ooze in the oven. =]

Hope this gets you off to a good start!
  • georgieamber2
    georgieamber2 Posts: 229 Member
    Hey!! I’m 21 and went vegan when I was 19:) when I’m at home with my family I’m with all meat eaters!! Feel free to add me x
  • miakelaa
    miakelaa Posts: 43 Member
    edited April 2019
    I love to cook and I've been vegan for 9 years, and vegetarian all my life. These are some of my favorite vegan/vegetarian/special diet friendly bloggers (no particular order). Between these blogs you should be set with plenty of vegan recipes: Minimalist Baker, Love & Lemons, Isa Chandra Moskowitz, The Full Helping, Pick Up Limes, and Hot for Food!

Get good at reading labels, both for non-vegan additives (whey, gelatin, casein, milk powder, rennet, etc.) but also don't beat yourself up for missing something, especially when you're starting. In my experience, it's very easy to get overwhelmed by the vegan discourse, and at some point you just need to to the best you can, especially given your home situation.

My last tip is to try to eat fruits, veggies, whole grains, beans, nuts, etc. before reaching for the vegan alternatives to meat and cheese. These vegan substitutes are often delicious (Kite Hill chive cream cheese, the Impossible Burger, Follow Your Heart cheese, etc.) but easy to use as a crutch for whole foods and they are not very nutritionally dense. If you're interested, Dr. Greger's Daily Dozen app gives you an idea of what you should strive to eat daily for optimal health on a vegan diet.

Also, make sure to take a B12 vitamin (the smallest possible daily dose is best) because it is the only nutrient not available on a vegan diet.

Good luck on your vegan journey! It's fun trying new recipes, finding great substitutes for your favorite comfort foods, and arguing with meat eaters about where you get your protein. Feel free to message me or add me as a friend if you have questions.
  • sdraper2014
    sdraper2014 Posts: 81 Member
    http://www.eatingwell.com/recipe/249616/black-bean-croquettes-with-fresh-salsa/

Made those for dinner tonight. They also freeze really well and defrost easily in the microwave if you want to freeze some. I eat them in a wrap like a bean burrito with the salsa.

https://cookieandkate.com/thai-red-curry-recipe/

This curry is my fav and I make a double batch and my husband and I eat it for days. Use whatever veg you like and I use baby kale on it to cut down on prep work. You can do the same with baby carrots if you wanted but it would take longer simmering.

I personally add baked tofu to it for a more complete meal and they have a recipe on their site for that as well.

We are not vegetarians or vegans but just try to eat a more plant based diet for our health and the environment and always looking for easy meals!
  • Mcat34
    Mcat34 Posts: 22 Member
    Hey! I'm just coming back to MFP aftet not being in it for a while. I don't eat meat during the week so healthy vegetarian ideas would be greatly appreciated! Feel free to add me as a friend!
  • treggy23
    treggy23 Posts: 10 Member
    Thanks everyone. Will add those who have said I could. Lots to think about!
  • treggy23
    treggy23 Posts: 10 Member
    Apologies, I thought this was my discussion!!
    Hope people don't mind me adding them anyway? I
  • AmberVazq
    AmberVazq Posts: 15 Member
    Dressing free salad -
    1.Lettuce or spinach leaves (kale to others fine)
    2.diced tiny tomatoes y cucumbers
    3.Add meat your choice (Boca,morning star, etc) if you want to
    4. In frying pan heat some spinach leaves till moist add to bowl
    5. Can add tortilla chips,nuts,cranberries, anything you like
    6. Any extra veggies you want cooked squash to bean sprouts
    7. If you like beans in your salad add to cheese (their is vegan cheeses some have nutty flavors) even can add cottage cheese to fruits look at vegan items in your stores theirs lots of choices even can add peanut butter to vegan egg substitute. Lots of choices.Honey drizzled to if you still want dressing lots of options use sparingly dressing is well a enemy to my hips gain so quick with it.

Can mix y match with this recipe my kids hate meat since birth naturally. Have vegan relatives. I have to add a little meat to my diet due to a vitamin absorption issue every blue moon rest of the time I eat without.

Another Cereal

1(Cereal any) my favorite almond honey nut oats cereals
    2. Chocolate syrup if want
    3. Almond milk,coconut milk,soy milk,any
    4. Peanut butter lots
    5. Honey

Quesadillas

Buy quesadilla warmer $20 y under plug ins best

1.Tortilla any type
    2.refried beans
    3.cheese,black beans,spinach,vegan meats, bean sprouts,flax seeds,lettuce,etc to change it up

• AmberVazq
    Oh yeah small diced sweet apples great in salads even one I mentioned above....

Soups

In pot,pan,or croc pot

1. Broth (vegan ones exist to bullion cubes tomato based even I’m a Goya fan)
    2. Water of course
    3. Lemon juice to any spices if you like
    4. Vegan meats heat in skillet add to your bowl not soup to get best flavor. Olive oil to veggie oils or butter to fry it .Vegan cheeses if want or even Tofu.
    5. Veggies all you want! Mix y match
    6. Can add flax seed,nuts,tortilla chips, tortillas,bread crumbs, crackers,litterely anything even cottage cheese to fruit some fruits do not effect flavor others do so it’s trial y error ...I like a little Apple with celery recipe myself.

Can create your own version of any soup really there is a lot of vegan based products made to be like hotdogs to cheeses. Get creative. A lot of Asian soups are veggie based can get seasoning packets.
  • AmberVazq
    Baking add almond milk to other milk alternatives like you do regular milk.

Mash potatoes
    Boil chunks of potatoes then pour in bowl mash with pepper,butter opt,milk of your choice will still be chunky.
    Can add chives (onion stuff), onion,cheese, sour cream,chili powder,etc be creative as you want.

Boca burgers black bean to regular
    Fry it in light olive oil or veggie oil or cooking spray very light.Can even get vegan bacon
    Add pepper to other seasoning as you get braver
    Get bun heat lightly in oven to warm
    Place on bun add tomato,onion,spinach leaves to lettuce,can add refried beans to blk beans if like,guacamole,mayo,mustard, ketchup,special ones like honey mustard or even honey,flax seed,apple sliced thin,bean sprouts,litterely anything you want on your bun y burger .Tofu even to chips or baked beans like a manwhich.
  • AmberVazq
    Theirs vegan pizza recipes out there that are fun even.

Fruit jellos are a fun treat. Fruit mixed in bowls to baking muffins can add more fruit to nuts.

Vegan buffalo wings all types of brands all are good eat with celery,cherry tomatoes, y a salad

Baked potatoes can add any veggies to vegan meat/cheese on top even lightly butter ,garlic powder,chili powder, flax seed,pepper, anything you want even refried beans or others. Will fill you up fast.
  • AmberVazq
    edited May 2019
    Go to PETA site theirs kids recipes to adult ones plus lists some brands you may not know exist.They can send you a starter vegan pack magazine that has more stuff.YouTube to the web has great vegan recipes. Books at a local half priced book shop to regular store even online check eBay to amazon to Walmart etc.

Vegan cheese on any type of crackers while your watching tv is a fun treat.

Get better theirs $4.99 at Walmart a zucchini pasta maker hand held you can make your own veggie pasta fry in pan again always use light oil almost none can add light amount water to anything you cook instead of oil. You fry the veggie pasta you just peeled in it put on plate add anything to it cheese,pasta sauces, flax seed,nuts,veggies,fruits,vegan meatballs to meats. Make versatile meals write them down so you can repeat

Rice maker that steams-
    Can add fish,veggies,lettuce ,squash,green beans,fruits,beans,etc to steam
    Rice on the bottom Jasmine rice is best my fav you can use 1/2 cup plus barely any water get a huge bowl.or use brown rices
    Or make a soup in rice part.
    Can add spices even
    Tomato in the middle of the rice part or ketchup even bullion cubes or mustards can make it more Spanish rice or more yellow rice.
  • AmberVazq
    edited May 2019
    Quesadillas maker can also make sandwiches in.

Wheat bread or any
    Add spinach or lettuce
    Vegan cheeses
    Tomato to vegan meat already fried
    Press eat

Air fryer

Tortilla chips in a few minutes to sandwiches be warm ready to eat.

• AmberVazq
    edited May 2019
    Quacamole

Packet of guacamole dip mix (vegetable isle usually at stores near avocados)
    Avocados
    Can add lemon juice,onion,tomato if like
    Mash up with potato masher or fork mix a lot store in refrigerator when done

Eat with toasted tortilla chips or regular ones or even on top of meats to burgers (any vegan burger tastes great on) or even put it on toast.

Also have artichoke dips to salsa packets to make your own.