bjdw_1977 Posts: 442 Member
    ebtirzmrhhyh.png
  • bjdw_1977
    bjdw_1977 Posts: 442 Member
    s4mxq2vhtcir.png

With knobs on.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,935 Member
    Another team row in a four, a little longer this time. Hoping to scull in the morning (double) if the weather's OK as forecast.
    aokoye wrote: »
    <snip for reply length>
    That was a super helpful way to conceptualize check.
    <snip>
    This is making me want to learn how to scull in a single even more now which might happen this summer, knock on wood (it's a big might - sculling will probably happen, whether or not I get out in a single is dependent on a lot of things all of which are out of my control).

* That's one thing that will check a boat, but only one of many. ;)

* Singles are kind of excellent for technique, in that there's no one else to blame. Perhaps that's why I don't enjoy them as much ;) (I usually scull double). Our neighborhood Div I college coach sends the varsity squad out in singles and doubles lots in the Fall, even though they only compete in sweep, because the small boats are so much more brutally honest with a person than is a four or eight. ;)
    <snip for reply length>
    The huge advantage of OTW is obvious, it's more fun and the live comradere. Plus, you have someone live, everyday you row, watching your form. That's the disadvantage to indoor rowing. Though I've gotten pretty decent at it, even my form slips a lot in subtle ways and, before I know it, I'm in sloppy habits that are hard to break.
    <snip>
    I know many indoor rowers that can throw out an hour on the erg with identical SRs and paces every single split nearly every time. Not that OTW rowers don't have that but they are not as into metrics from what I've seen. They leave the metrics up to their coaches and the cox and just are great "foot soldiers". Let's face it, if you're college crew, you do 200K a week, so they break them down mentally so they don't think, just do.

I also envy OTW rowers. The new house was between Tucson (in the mountains) and Chandler (near Phoenix). Chandler has an OTW rowing club that crosses over to indoor training. It would have been right down the road for me. We chose Tucson, so I might have to wait till retirement to actually get in a real boat!

Partial misimpression, I think: Not all OTW clubs have routine coaching. My mid-sized-city sculling club doesn't, for example. We all have keys to the boathouse, and go take out boats when we choose. No safety launches, no regular coaches, row at your own risk. Some summers one of the college coaches will offer coaching for pay, or something like that. And I've actually gotten a lot of good coaching on the erg (lots during Winter training for my team, some at on-water camps), maybe even nearing the total hours of on-water coaching (pretty extensive on-water paid coaching, camps, classes, etc., over the 15+ years).

Even today's team row was short-handed, so a coach in cox but no launch . . . and though skilled people can be scary perceptive based on boat feel, what a coach can do from a bow-loaded cox seat has serious limitations. ;)

I think you'd find that masters single scullers are often quite metrics driven (and other masters, especially in non-coxed boats, though a lot of masters coxes don't do that much coaching vs. the rowers filling that function themselves). Consistent pace/SR isn't necessarily the goal of the metrics, though. IME, more about using metrics to refine pace via technique (distance per stroke, improving pace vs. physiological intensity with technique changes, that sort of thing).

If you'd like to try rowing (sculling), a Craftsbury Sculling Center vacation could be an excellent thing: Fabulous coaching, beautiful surroundings, excellent food (made on site from scratch, much of it from locally-sourced ingredients), surprisingly affordable, and they will accept beginners at some sessions - there were one or two when I've been there. I've known some couples who rented one of their cabins as a Vermont vacation for both, even though only one was a rower. It's a great experience.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Another team row in a four, a little longer this time. Hoping to scull in the morning (double) if the weather's OK as forecast.
    aokoye wrote: »
    <snip for reply length>
    That was a super helpful way to conceptualize check.
    <snip>
    This is making me want to learn how to scull in a single even more now which might happen this summer, knock on wood (it's a big might - sculling will probably happen, whether or not I get out in a single is dependent on a lot of things all of which are out of my control).

* That's one thing that will check a boat, but only one of many. ;)
    I have definitely noticed that, lol. I feel like the name of the game with rowing is, "you will never be perfect" in the, "there's always room for improvement" way. Though, I suppose that's true for most things. I was watching our men's A boat from the launch last Thursday which was a nice opportunity for a lot of reasons, including that I got to hear them being coached.
    If you'd like to try rowing (sculling), a Craftsbury Sculling Center vacation could be an excellent thing: Fabulous coaching, beautiful surroundings, excellent food (made on site from scratch, much of it from locally-sourced ingredients), surprisingly affordable, and they will accept beginners at some sessions - there were one or two when I've been there. I've known some couples who rented one of their cabins as a Vermont vacation for both, even though only one was a rower. It's a great experience.
    I so want to go to Craftsbury! One day hopefully.
  • Whey125
    Whey125 Posts: 189 Member
    P90x shoulder and arms!
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Intervals on the elliptical. Yoga and press handstand core work later...
  • anl90
    anl90 Posts: 928 Member
    I plan to go after work, and will do:

-30 min. on treadmill.
    -30 min. total body workout routine (It's an area Planet Fitness offers which has a mixture of weight machines and cardio you do. If anyone goes to PF, I would suggest trying it out - I personally really enjoy it!)
    -15 to 30 min. on treadmill. (Depending on how ambitious I feel.)

I can't wait to get out there and kick butt!
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    30 min speed work with PT, few fast run intervals and couple sprints

Zumba last class before London

Just 3 more exercise days till London marathon
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    MORNING - pull-up hang hold 1:22 and bar dips 50 reps in 7:05. LATER - Run 2:35 walk 0:25 for 10 rounds = 3.1 miles in 30 minutes.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,935 Member
    Easy steady state row for about an hour in the double: First time sculling this season. One other single rower was heading back in toward the dock as we launched, otherwise, we and the ducks/geese were the only ones on the water. The geese kept barking at us. :)
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,193 MFP Moderator
    Quick elliptical session between meetings
  • Finafoshizzle93
    Finafoshizzle93 Posts: 157 Member
    30 min leg circuit
    40 min elliptical
  • Whey125
    Whey125 Posts: 189 Member
    Insanity Cardio Recovery and Insanity Cardio Abs
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    2mile interval run (0.5 mile fast/4min recover/repeat)
    30min pt session, trx and 150 assorted punching sit ups, my abs cant wait until she can start trashing my legs again.

0 classes,
    1 Training run
    1 PT session (just a stretch)
    1mile run to keep the streak going

And then I'll be running my 2nd marathon in 2 weeks
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Intervals on the elliptical in the a.m. Yoga and press handstand core work later...
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Was in an 8 though we had to go back early because of an incident involving a stump and a rigger (no humans were hurt). Six of us ended up erging for about 25 min. once we got back in and derigged the affected rigger. Warmup then 3x6' on/2' off with rate increases on 3, 2, and 1.
  • ecominimalist35
    ecominimalist35 Posts: 73 Member
    A 30 minute HIIT workout that included:

Jump squats
    Speed skaters
    Lunges into airplane
    Crunches with a reverse crunch
    Mountain climbers
    Plank to toe touch
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    A single set of pull-ups (10 reps) in morning with plans on doing other stuff in afternoon. Made "business decision" I would rest instead. Something is better than nothing.
  • jnomadica
    jnomadica Posts: 280 Member
    20 minute walk warmup
    Deadlifts 3x5
    One arm DB bench press 3x6
    DB row 3x7