Did you swim today?

Replies

• fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    4 miles today.
    A little slower pace for a set.
    Thinking about trying for a 10 mile swim at my Y on a Saturday soon. Before the yard work and projects take over my weekends.
  • kayak4water
    kayak4water Posts: 155 Member
    35 min last night. I must swim more mindfully.

My swimming technique is like an old, leaky roof: many leaks, and great relief when I've fixed enough to stay dry in one spot. If I can patch up enough of them, I'll be able to sit down!

Thankfully, my defects aren't like the broom that regenerates after the Sorcerer's Apprentice hacks it. 😎
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member
    I did not swim. You read that right. I know we only post when we DO actually swim, but I didn't. I was exhausted. I work out 6x/week, 90 min at a time with a variety of activities. I went home, poured a big beer, and gave myself the night off :)

Back today though... No slacking!
  • fishgutzy
    edited April 2019
    4 miles this morning.
    My wife is up to 45 laps now. 2250 yards.
    Excellent for such a new swimmer.
    She does a lot of drills and approaches it like physical therapy.
    She did that swim after a 1 hour deep water aerobics class.
    And her favorite swim suit type now is the unitard. She found a brand, Waterpro, that isn't only sized for small young thin athletes.
  • girlwithcurls2
    Yup. Got my swim in. I had a plan and stuck to it.
    Gutzy, I think your wife and I would be great swim buddies. I still consider myself a new swimmer since I spent 45 years terrified of the water. And I LOVE my deep water cardio class. I did it today and it was great. I can't wait for my bed tonight... :)
  • fishgutzy
    Proud of my wife. She keeps upping her lap count.
    She did 48 laps before her deep water class today. That is her new personal best.

Did 4 miles today for my swim.
  • girlwithcurls2
    A short, sort of stretch-it-out-after-lifting-swim today. The pool was empty. The lifeguard threatened to rearrange the line lines into a lightning bolt. I told him I'd probably not notice since I swim pulling to the right anyway...
    Gutzy, that is fantastic for your wife. 48 laps BEFORE a class?? Wow. Impressive!
  • ElBence
    ElBence Posts: 291 Member
    Warmup
    500 free
    200 back
    100 breast

Main set
    500 free
    10x50 kicks on 1:00
    2x200 IM with 10 seconds rest
    10x100 pull on 1:45 finishing one second faster each time
    4x4 25 IM order on 0:30 followed by 100 free on 1:40

Warmdown
    200 IM
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Today: 1.5 miles @ 77 minutes.
  • fishgutzy
    4 miles today.
    My wife is up to 50 laps, 1.42 miles. Wicked Awesome.
  • kayak4water
    35 minutes. Could someone please pump some air into the water so I can breathe more often? My efforts at growing gills had not shown an iota of progress, and a transplant would be really messy.
    :(

Notwithstanding, it still feels good to lie down in the water for a nap or to swim
    :)
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    4000m solo swim today. Trying to get some mileage in over Easter to make up for a lot of time off lately.

500 free warmup

Decided to do the CSS time trial.
    400 free 5.33
    4 minutes rest
    200 free 2.39

100 easy

800 mixed kick fins

10x 50 drill/swim by 25

500 pull paddles

400 mixed kick fins

200 swim

200 pull

200 warmdown

That makes 15.5km in the last four days.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    @fishgutzy Great gains by your wife.
    I have been swimming but just Tues and Thurs evenings so not getting in all the distance's that I was back in 2017. Need to get back on a more regimented schedule/plan.
    Usually 1700- 2200 meters of drills.
    Been doing lots of work on what I call my weak side breathing - left shoulder for free style
    Keeping a steady - straight forward head on breast stroke and shorten my stroke.
    Back stroke - get a cleaner body roll - mine tends to occur in jerks ( related to my kick timing)
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    edited April 2019
    3500m today. Had the entire pool to myself!

500 free
    500 mixed kick fins
    200 swim
    500 free pull paddles
    400 mixed kick fins
    100 swim
    400 free pull paddles
    300 mixed kick fins
    100 swim
    300 free pull paddles
    200 warmdown

nrg129fm5dos.jpg

• kayak4water
    55 minutes starting with a 13 minute freestyle warmup. Thirty non-swimming minutes in bits and pieces, catching my breath between sets of 25, 50 and 100, depending on the stroke or drill.

Back to the house to set new posts for a new fence. 😎
  • fishgutzy
    4 miles this morning.
    My wife has done 60 laps 2 days in a row.
    1.7 miles.
    Last Friday I managed to do the 4 miles a two 2 mile sets.
  • girlwithcurls2
    Impressive, Gutzy! How great that you both enjoy it. I have tried to get my husband to try swimming, but forget it. For now... ;)

I swam for about 45 minutes before class. Ended up circling in a lane with a gal who was exactly the same pace as me. The other swimmer said he was fast, but half way through our swim, he said, "Hey you two are much better than you think. You're not very slow!" :)
  • fishgutzy
    4 miles today.
    Pushed it the last 600 set. 1:49/100yrd.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    @emmab0902 Pool Envy - 8 lanes all to your self. Did you swim a set in each lane just for giggles?
    @fishgutzy Your lady is rippin it up in the water - well done. Like you say just add one more length on each swim session and pretty soon you have an impressive accomplishment.

This was the last week of adult swim club for the season as people start doing outdoor activities they disappear for the summer so the demand is not there to keep the program active in the summer. The time period gets turned over to the local youth swim club and school clubs giving them more water time.

Since my kick is the weakest part of my technique I spent a lot of time and distance working on it this session. Not 500m, 400m and 300m kick sets in one session like @emmab0902 but a more modest distance. My last 2 swim club sessions were pretty much duplicates.

100m warm up

100m kick with board

4 x 25m kick streamline turned to weak breathing side. Did a lot of porpoise like moves as I would sink when I rolled for a breath.

4 x 25m single leg kick alternate L/R at turns. Really exposes which leg is the weaker one. A hard drill to do as you have to stop all movement in one leg while working the other leg.

2 x 50m 6 kick switch - streamlined.

100m 6 kick switch

25, 50, 75, 100, 75, 50, 25m free pyramid - concentrate on weak side breathing and kick

2 x 100m free - 4 stroke - weak side breathing

2 x 200m free - 3 stroke

100m back, 100m breast to change the muscle loading

4 x 100m free - 4 stroke - weak side breathing
    100m easy cooldown.

I will definitely be keeping the kick portion of this in the mix for my sessions as it has been a great help. It used to be that I would hardly get any propulsion from my kick now it's not laughable.
    Summer Running season is in full swing - first Cross Country Trail race on Wednesday evening and then Triathlon training begins - Swim/Run; Swim/Bike or Bike/Run brick sessions.
  • kayak4water
    In the water for 70 minutes, 50 of them swimming. A few drills and trying to remember why I'm doing each while doing them. Sometimes, I just zone out while driving or swimming and wonder later if I looked like a barge with arms and legs wiggling wildly.

🦋🦋