Starting runners:lets motivate each others

yirara
yirara Posts: 9,329 Member
I started running again after a wee break of 450 days due to aching feet and not being in the mood.

After 4 runs I at least can do 3-4 very slow km again without walking. It’s a start. What I learned: don’t overdo things. My feet are not made for half marathon training. Shorter runs are fine.

Do write along if you just started and we can motivate each others and celebrate small successes.

Replies

• LadySaton
    LadySaton Posts: 500 Member
    I find it so much easier to breathe running in a light rain! Just wanted to drop some encouragement. I just started running in December, so I’m not exactly a veteran, but to me it sounds like you’ve picked a great way to progress! Those slow steady runs are exactly what I aim for and are how I increase my distance. 😊
  • yirara
    Thanks a lot @LadySaton I used to live in a very hot and mostly dry country when I first started running, and loved it. Then moved to the northern UK and kind of never went out when it rained. Cold, damp and very humid is just not a nice combination. Being in the Netherlands now, and having had two very hot weeks this rain was just so refreshing. I first thought about returning home, and then.. yes, I get what you say, that it's so easy to breathe. <3
  • DrizztGirl82
    DrizztGirl82 Posts: 85 Member
    I just started the couch to 5k program this morning! Feel free to add me if you would like to. I'll be posting updates to my friends everyday of my running!
  • yirara
    Hey, that's fantastic! It's such a good programme. I did it as well when I first started running. But I came from no cardio and literally no sport at all apart from some bodyweight exercises. This time I managed to run 5km in 6 runs without being exhausted, but I'm fairly fit from all sorts of other sports.
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    I've been a runner in the past, but then deal with a health issue (unrelated to running) so I stopped running for about 4 months and put on 15lbs. I'm back to running and have completed a 10k race recently. It was a lot slower than in the past, but that is ok because I finished it and slowly jogged the whole thing. I am working on jogging 3-4 miles three times a week and having it become a habit in my life and hopefully improve my time. :smile:
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,292 Member
    yirara wrote: »
    Hey, that's fantastic! It's such a good programme. I did it as well when I first started running. But I came from no cardio and literally no sport at all apart from some bodyweight exercises. This time I managed to run 5km in 6 runs without being exhausted, but I'm fairly fit from all sorts of other sports.

careful not to add too much too soon... don't add more than 10%/week, or your old injuries may make a comeback. I made that mistake a year and a half ago, and still have nagging knee injuries that keep me from running
  • tunicaf
    tunicaf Posts: 12 Member
    I'm a lousy runner. I've started and stopped too many times to count. Never made it passed 3 miles. Trying 5K runner app now for encouragement. On Week 3, but damn it if every step doesn't make me want to scream!
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    I am not a beginner, but I absolutely love when people first start. It is so exciting to me.

@tunicaf try to hang in there, it does get better. I hated running when I signed up for my first 5km 4 years ago! Now I am 9 days away from my first Marathon. I am not saying that everyone will run a marathon, but try to find the peace in it. With that said....not everyone will love running as others do and that is a ok!!
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    erickirb wrote: »

careful not to add too much too soon... don't add more than 10%/week, or your old injuries may make a comeback. I made that mistake a year and a half ago, and still have nagging knee injuries that keep me from running

^^ This ^^

Very good advice!!
  • yirara
    erickirb wrote: »

I know. I went with how I feel. I've been walking long distances since I stopped running and cycled 200+ km on single days lately. Plus still do bodyweight workouts. But of course the movement is different. I will stick with 5km max for a while to see if I get a bit better, and then slowly build up from there. At the moment I run at about 8:40-8:50min/km. Yeah, that slow :wink: I can walk faster. Ho hum
  • yirara
    Small 4km run through my neighbourhood, after a night of very interrupted sleep (was on duty) and thus being very tired, and with TOM. Maybe I was too tired to noticed I was running, but I managed a for me unusually fast 8.12min/km pace without falling out of my slow run breathing pattern once. I guess I'm fit enough then.
  • yirara
    Hey, things are going oddly well. I ran exactly 4.01km two days ago, and again today (different route), and I ran a whole minute faster, at 7:59min/km while maintaining my slow run breathing pattern the whole time.

Coincidentally I also passed my second goal for this month, to run 30km (started running on 13. April), and with this pace a potential goal for next month, to run ANY distance below 8min/km. It's cool to be fit! The first goal was to somehow get through 5km.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    The weather here is heating up. I struggled this afternoon and could not finish my planned 30 minute run. I stopped at the 2 mile mark and walked home. I’ve decided to enter a runbet game to keep me motivated and go out either in the morning or the evening to beat the heat.
  • LadySaton
    Congrats @yirara - it definitely feels good to be fit enough for running, love that feeling!
  • LadySaton
    The weather here is heating up. I struggled this afternoon and could not finish my planned 30 minute run. I stopped at the 2 mile mark and walked home. I’ve decided to enter a runbet game to keep me motivated and go out either in the morning or the evening to beat the heat.
    It’s only been in about the 70s here and that to me is already uncomfortable for running. 🥵 It’s funny looking over my running logs because any day over 70 my runs are just 3 or 4 miles, but the days that were in the 40-60 range are my higher mileage runs. 🤣 I’m still forcing some shorter runs in the heat though, trying to acclimate. 😑
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Today is in the 80s. Summer will be here in full force in a couple of months, and it will be in the 90s and 100s daily. The humidity makes it feel a bit warmer. Since I’m still new to running, I’m hopeful to find strategies to keep me on track. It might just mean shorter runs early and late in the day for a while. Winters here are generally very moderate.
  • yirara

That's not a problem. I just looked up what 80F is. That's 26C! Wow, I doubt it will get this warm here at all. Maybe I have some advice. I started running in the Middle East in Spring. The first runs were at around (just looked) 22C, then temperatures steadily climbed up to over 40C after sunset.

What I found helped was to keep at it and grow with the temperature. Sometimes it meant that I didn't manage to run longer, but I still ran at a higher temperatures than previously, which is still a success. At the height of summer I only did many smaller rounds around my neighbourhood with a water bottle standing in my open garage as it was also Ramadan and I could not get out on the street with water until the breaking of the fast. Once Ramadan was over I took a water bottle with me.

This only counts for dry weather I guess: one way for me to stay cool when running was to wear cotton clothes. Yes, they suck up sweat like crazy, but the moisture remained in my clothes instead of just evaporating, and this kept me cooler than any moisture wicking, fast drying fabric.

Oh yes, and do run before sunrise or after sunset. It really makes all the difference.