You know what I hate.................You know what I hate

1234568»

Replies

• ElBence
    ElBence Posts: 291 Member
    docsharon wrote: »
    67 year old beginner here. Wanting to be courteous when I have to share a lane I read all the “You know what I hate.......You know what I hate” pet peeves posted here. Trying hard not to laugh too much at the “older water aerobics ladies” comments as I am one of those ladies, I am having some difficulty understanding some of the others. So as not to annoy a fellow swimmer, would a member of this group kindly explain the following gripe?

“I hate it when a swimmer swims on the wrong side of the lane. (There’s a right and wrong side of the lane?)”

My personal hate? Having to see someone in the locker room put their foot up on a stool and use the the gym’s hair dryer to dry their pubic hair in the mirrored dressing area. That is more than I need to view at any angle.

Just like driving. So in the U.S. at least, swim on the right, pass on the left if you must share a lane with more than two people. Not sure how it works in countries where "the right side is suicide," but @emmab0902 might be able to help with that.
  • Murrayzaida
    Murrayzaida Posts: 12 Member
    Same principle (in Australia at least), swim (and drive) on the left :-)
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    ElBence wrote: »
    docsharon wrote: »
    67 year old beginner here. Wanting to be courteous when I have to share a lane I read all the “You know what I hate.......You know what I hate” pet peeves posted here. Trying hard not to laugh too much at the “older water aerobics ladies” comments as I am one of those ladies, I am having some difficulty understanding some of the others. So as not to annoy a fellow swimmer, would a member of this group kindly explain the following gripe?

“I hate it when a swimmer swims on the wrong side of the lane. (There’s a right and wrong side of the lane?)”

My personal hate? Having to see someone in the locker room put their foot up on a stool and use the the gym’s hair dryer to dry their pubic hair in the mirrored dressing area. That is more than I need to view at any angle.

Just like driving. So in the U.S. at least, swim on the right, pass on the left if you must share a lane with more than two people. Not sure how it works in countries where "the right side is suicide," but @emmab0902 might be able to help with that.

Swim on the left in a clockwise direction here in New Zealand 😊
  • ElBence
    After my workout, I try to sit in the steam room or sauna so that my skin can sweat out all the chlorine I've absorbed. I'm not sure if this is a placebo effect, but if so, at the very least it feels nice to sit, meditate and sweat it out. I hate when people come into either with: 1) headphones blaring; 2) their gym clothes that you can tell have been used repeatedly but not washed all week; 3) a predisposition for grunting on account of not being able to take the heat; 4) the notion that I want to carry on a conversation; and 5) a planned workout (also usually accompanied by grunting). I just want to relax and meditate. I can't do that while you're blasting your abs. The heat of the steam room/sauna doesn't add anything to your workout short of the possibility of heat stroke.
  • stephaniek511
    stephaniek511 Posts: 86 Member
    You know what I hate? When the guys are slower than you but they insist on leading because they're guys and you're a girl so you can't possibly swim faster than them.

You know what I love? When the coach calls them out on it and tells them to let me lead :)
  • ElBence
    I hate that my pool is closed indefinitely.
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    I agree. Live in PA so outside swimming is not an option right now. I hate it when this lady only swims back and forth using only half the lane twice for her 25 yards. No one can even share the lane when she does that. Don't get it. Scratch my head !