Success without a thyroid.

Options
Carvendive
Carvendive Posts: 23 Member
Half way there.

I'm a 66 years old male. A 6 year cancer survivor and I have no thyroid. I've talked to many other total thyroidectomy cancer survivors and the common thread has been how difficult it is to keep from gaining weight - let alone loosing weight.

I started at 268.6 on January 1. Today was my 16 week weigh in and I'm down 50.6 pounds. I'm averaging 3.2 pounds per week. AND I'm not having to do any wierd diet.

I'm doing an average of 46% carb, 28% fat and 26% protein. My average weekly consumed calories is 1593.
My average net calories is around 500 (189 - 616). I average 100+ oz of water a day.

Since March I've walked 50 9 hole rounds of golf and bicycled over 500 miles. (PS, my golf game still stinks but it's still steps.)

So, weight loss can be successful without a thyroid even as a senior.

Replies

• tthickens637
    tthickens637 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Carvendive wrote: »
    Half way there.

I'm a 66 years old male. A 6 year cancer survivor and I have no thyroid. I've talked to many other total thyroidectomy cancer survivors and the common thread has been how difficult it is to keep from gaining weight - let alone loosing weight.

I started at 268.6 on January 1. Today was my 16 week weigh in and I'm down 50.6 pounds. I'm averaging 3.2 pounds per week. AND I'm not having to do any wierd diet.

I'm doing an average of 46% carb, 28% fat and 26% protein. My average weekly consumed calories is 1593.
    My average net calories is around 500 (189 - 616). I average 100+ oz of water a day.

Since March I've walked 50 9 hole rounds of golf and bicycled over 500 miles. (PS, my golf game still stinks but it's still steps.)

So, weight loss can be successful without a thyroid even as a senior.

Fantastic!! I've still have my thyroid, but a super slow metabolism. I'm not even hitting 1 lb/wk with avg 12k steps/day, 40/30/30 macros, 1430 net cal/day, 100+ oz h2O/day and regular strength training. Your stats give me hope! Guess I need to take up golf. 🤣
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,986 Member
    Options
    If you are on adequate thryoxine replacement then there is nothing to stop you losing weight same way as everybody else.
  • krea4
    krea4 Posts: 1,813 Member
    Options
    If you are on adequate thryoxine replacement then there is nothing to stop you losing weight same way as everybody else.

Totally agree.
    I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism 18 years ago (Hashimoto's - thyroxine 125 daily). The only thing that stops me losing weight is too many calories! 🙄😆

@Carvendive
    Congrats on the weight loss and your recovery from cancer.
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    I was first diagnosed with thyroid cancer in 1996 and had thyroid removed. Weight went up in 2006 to 220. Went low carb, lost 40. Stayed there for several years. Since 2014 when I first tracked in MFP (took some breaks in there) I am down 25 lbs or so. I wanted to use no thyroid as the reason for my weight, but it was just an excuse.

I have lost 7 pounds since coming back to MFP seriously in March of this year. From what I can tell, I am losing at the same rate as everyone else.

I agree--it is my consumption that keeps me from losing weight--not my condition!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!