I wonder if I should bail on tomorrows ride...

The club I ride with on Sundays had a short ride scheduled for tomorrow so I went out and did 110km this morning (which is fairly long for me) but now I've just looked at the schedule on the clubs FB page and they've changed the ride to a 80km (which is normally easy for me after a day off).

Not sure how I'll hold up with two longish rides back to back.

Just harden the f-up and do it I guess. Monday's a rest day anyway.

Replies

• awinner_au
    awinner_au Posts: 249 Member
    I usually judge by how much the level of exertion was and how much will be required. A 80k coffee ride can be very different to a 80k training ride, even the coffee ride can vary depending on who is riding.

Sounds like you think you can handle it, so just ride.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    bjdw_1977 wrote: »

There's only one way to find out!

As long as you can find your own way back you could always bail out early if you aren't enjoying it or struggling.
  • jlklem
    jlklem Posts: 259 Member
    Yeah...HTFU
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Quite literally... Go Hard or Go Home.

In the nicest possible way.... What I mean is, go out there, give it a shot, probably it’ll be sore getting back in the saddle and you’ll have some stiffness but I bet you’ll feel ok once you’re warmed up. If the going gets tough then either suck it up and just think of the benefits to boosting your endurance or.... make your apologies and take a gentle pedal home at your own pace or via a handy shortcut.

I’m sure you’ll choose to ride and I bet you’ll be glad after you do! Just make sure you have plenty of carbs to replace those glycogen stores between now and then.
  • garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    edited April 2019
    Do it. Bail if it gets too intense and go home. If they are your buds they’ll understand.
  • jlklem
    What are you training for?
  • bjdw_1977
    bjdw_1977 Posts: 442 Member
    jlklem wrote: »
    What are you training for?

I've got a 110km event June 15 and a 160km November 30.
  • jlklem
    Any goals for the events other than finish?
  • cavefallss
    cavefallss Posts: 39 Member
    The club I ride with on Sundays had a short ride scheduled for tomorrow so I went out and did 110km this morning (which is fairly long for me) but now I've just looked at the schedule on the clubs FB page and they've changed the ride to a 80km (which is normally easy for me after a day off).

did you go... how was it?

• bjdw_1977
    cavefallss wrote: »

did you go... how was it?

Well, I slept in. So I headed out about an 45 minutes after the rest along the route they would have come back by intending to turn around when I met up with them. I ended up; turning back not long after passing a couple of guys who did a shorter ride. Ended up doing an easy 43km solo and having a coffee with a couple of the old boys.

A wee bit of rain on the way home but not too bad
  • bjdw_1977
    jlklem wrote: »
    Any goals for the events other than finish?

Top 50% for my age group (40-44) would be nice. My first, and only event to date, was a 150 at the end of February and I was bottom 25%.

The 110 coming up, apparently, is hard to set a goal time for because it's all in one direction (south) so the wind direction on the day makes a huge difference to how hard it is. And being in the middle of winter here mid June cold southerlies are quite common. Yikes.

I'll have to look at some stats for Lake Taupo (Novembers 160km) to see what kind of times the "half way" guys in my group did the last couple years. This is a much bigger event, biggest one (most participants) in New Zealand, I think.

• bjdw_1977
    gvidum58j53l.png

So. 40 of 49 in my group for my first event. Not great but it gives me something to beat next time out.
  • cavefallss
    cavefallss Posts: 39 Member
    that’s nice. sounds like a good time. oh wow, sounds like a big event. they must do this yearly? yes definitely gives you something to look onward towards. i’ve never been to new zealand. is it cold there now?
  • bjdw_1977
    edited May 2019
    cavefallss wrote: »
    that’s nice. sounds like a good time. oh wow, sounds like a big event. they must do this yearly? yes definitely gives you something to look onward towards. i’ve never been to new zealand. is it cold there now?

Yep, these events are all yearly. Gives me something to work towards, if the budget allows travel and time off work for the out of town ones anyway. This next one in June isn't far away and the local cycle club is taking a van up on the morning of the event.

It's starting to cool down. Last nights low was 8C (46F) and todays high 18C (64F). It'll drop about another 5C by mid June. I'm definitely in a warmer part of the country.