Mirena weight gain

I had my Mirena in for 5 years, seriously hated it for the first 6 months due to continuous bleeding and cramping. The insertion was worse then child birth. I lived with it and life went on and bleeding stopped, didn’t have another period for 5 years. I didn’t realize it was the Mirena hormones but I went in to major depression, got acne like I was a teenager and lost a lot of hair, gained weight and felt bloated all the time also The wire attached to the iud hung down too long and affected my sex life as it hurt when it was pushed on felt like it was getting shoved into my uterus plus I itched all over all the time nothing would stop it not even meds prescribed for it. I figure it was just dry skin and reaction to detergents or something not thinking it was the hormones. I ended up having to get a hysterectomy due to other issues and of course the iud was removed at same time. It is now been 10 days since surgery and I feel wonderful, my skin has cleared, no itch , down 6lbs, hair stopped failing out, no bloat and my mind feels so clear it is hard to discribe but everything seems so clear almost like I had come out of a cloud . All I can tell you if you are considering getting the iud don’t if you have it get it out if you are having these symptoms. These hormones are no joke!! I wish I would have known before now I wouldn’t have waited to get it out.

Replies

• eqc8486
    eqc8486 Posts: 9 Member
    I’m so sorry you’ve had such a bad a bad reaction. I had a terrible reaction to Ortho Tri Cyclen. It made my mental health a living hell. My old dr didn’t believe me when I said how I think it was affecting me. It sucks we have to be our own advocate. Everyone’s body is different. Turns out IUD was the best option for me. I have Mirena but plan on getting Paragard which is hormone free. I’m thankful the only side affect I have is no libido, but that sucks! There are so many methods available and what works great for one person is a nightmare for the next. I hope your healing well!
  • philaeaglesfan1
    philaeaglesfan1 Posts: 2 Member
    I am getting my mirena out TODAY! I was on depo before and could NOT lose weight to save my life. I stopped that and was talked into going with mirena. I feel like my entire body changed while on mirena. I was swollen everywhere and could again NOT lose 1 lb to save my life. I track every single thing I eat and exercise and yet nothing....it is as if my body hates me. After countless tears, I have decided to have it removed. I loved not getting my period bc I have endimetriosis but I'd rather deal with that than the terrible self esteem I have and the constant battle with myself over this weight. I wish I could say I have been cheating with food or not exercising but that is not the case.......
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    edited April 2019
    I find it very interesting that those that have issues with Mirena only ever have 1 post.

To those folks who have issues with Mirena.

read the insert, consult others, talk to your doctors.

All the side effects are listed and are there for a reason. INcreased appetite leads to weight gain unless you are aware of it.

Mirena itself does not cause weight gain only the extra calories you are eating cause actual weight gain.

If there are hormonal issues that cause water retention that is not "weight".

There are a lot of other options out there and each one has their issues.

• philaeaglesfan1
    philaeaglesfan1 Posts: 2 Member
    I find it very interesting Sezxy Stef that your first sentence is so negative. You have no idea how other people's bodies react to mirena. If you had a great experience, that is awesome for you. I did read the insert and talk to my doctors. My doctor also agreed that some women's bodies just do not react well to hormones, unfortunately mine is one of them. Hope you have a nice day.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    I find it very interesting Sezxy Stef that your first sentence is so negative. You have no idea how other people's bodies react to mirena. If you had a great experience, that is awesome for you. I did read the insert and talk to my doctors. My doctor also agreed that some women's bodies just do not react well to hormones, unfortunately mine is one of them. Hope you have a nice day.

not sure how my sentence could be negative...just a statement of fact.

you have 1 post, the OP has 1 post..you didn't do well on it.

oh well I am off I have things to do.

• scribblemoma
    scribblemoma Posts: 115 Member
    I’ve had Mirena for over 8 years (with one renewal in that timeframe) and not a single issue 🤷🏼‍♀️ No weight gain, no hormones out of whack, no cramping/bleeding...it’s been a delight honestly. Switching it to a new one was an absolute breeze as well.
  • Teabythesea_
    Teabythesea_ Posts: 559 Member
    I am getting my mirena out TODAY! I was on depo before and could NOT lose weight to save my life. I stopped that and was talked into going with mirena. I feel like my entire body changed while on mirena. I was swollen everywhere and could again NOT lose 1 lb to save my life. I track every single thing I eat and exercise and yet nothing....it is as if my body hates me. After countless tears, I have decided to have it removed. I loved not getting my period bc I have endimetriosis but I'd rather deal with that than the terrible self esteem I have and the constant battle with myself over this weight. I wish I could say I have been cheating with food or not exercising but that is not the case.......

How long have you been trying to lose weight and are you tracking by weighing your food? Are you eating back exercise calories? I know you didnt ask for advice, but as a fellow sufferer of absolutely dreadful periods who has found relief with Mirena, I'm wondering if your lack of weight loss is due to other factors. Any birth control in and of itself does not cause weight gain, but what it can do is increase your appetite and cause water retention. At the end of the day if you eat less than you burn whether on birth control or not you should lose weight.
  • Teabythesea_
    Teabythesea_ Posts: 559 Member
    I love my mirena... more than any other birth control I've had, and I've had 3 different pills and two of the arm implants. I've been able to successfully lose, maintain and gain weight as intended with mirena. In the beginning my strings were long but I simply had my doctor trim them more. Easy fix. Everyone reacts differently, for many IUDs are a God send.
  • SarahKate2710
    SarahKate2710 Posts: 37 Member
    Old post, I know but I thought I would weigh in. I had Mirena in my 20s for almost 3 years and loved it!!. Got it out when I met my now husband. Got pregnant, miscarried, married, and pregnant again. Went back in the pill after my first son was born, got pregnant with my second son and got Mirena again after he was born. I’ve had it for 3 months and gained 15lbs. I was so hoping that I would love it like I did the first time but I’m always moody, anxious and stressed, my hair is falling out and I get weird cramps and pains. I’ve had discussions with my doctor and we both agree that my body probably just needs a break from artificial hormones. But after 2 babies my body has changed and is responding differently.