Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Units of Measure -- What a dreadful mess!

sdrenkersdrenker Posts: 2Member, Premium Member Posts: 2Member, Premium Member
I'm a new (6 week) user of MFP. The units on foods are the most horrendous, dreadful mess imaginable. Sometimes ounces, sometimes pounds, sometimes g, sometimes kg. Sometimes volume measurements for things that are weighed. Sometimes weight measurements for things that are measured in volume (liquids). Sometimes I'll see "100 g" but no "1 g." The most troublesome is seeing volume measures such as fluid ounces for dry foods that are weighed. There is NO consistency between similar foods.

I use a digital kitchen scale to weigh most all foods. Fortunately, it can provide both ounces (wt) and grams. But it is REALLY frustrating when a food only has a volume measure and should have a weight measure.

Equally bad is sometimes a food will have ten or more units of measure, but the next food has only one. It's frustrating that end-users can only enter a single unit of measure.

I appreciate you have millions of foods in your database and fixing this would be a huge problem, but is a major user aggravation. MFP should assemble a team of summer interns and have them get this whipped into shape. And be sure to have somebody with common sense driving the project, somebody who knows the difference between weight and volume measurements and when to apply them.

Replies

• cwolfman13cwolfman13 Posts: 36,682Member Member Posts: 36,682Member Member
    sdrenker wrote: »
    I'm a new (6 week) user of MFP. The units on foods are the most horrendous, dreadful mess imaginable. Sometimes ounces, sometimes pounds, sometimes g, sometimes kg. Sometimes volume measurements for things that are weighed. Sometimes weight measurements for things that are measured in volume (liquids). Sometimes I'll see "100 g" but no "1 g." The most troublesome is seeing volume measures such as fluid ounces for dry foods that are weighed. There is NO consistency between similar foods.

I use a digital kitchen scale to weigh most all foods. Fortunately, it can provide both ounces (wt) and grams. But it is REALLY frustrating when a food only has a volume measure and should have a weight measure.

Equally bad is sometimes a food will have ten or more units of measure, but the next food has only one. It's frustrating that end-users can only enter a single unit of measure.

I appreciate you have millions of foods in your database and fixing this would be a huge problem, but is a major user aggravation. MFP should assemble a team of summer interns and have them get this whipped into shape. And be sure to have somebody with common sense driving the project, somebody who knows the difference between weight and volume measurements and when to apply them.

Database entries are user crowd sourced...users enter the vast majority of what is in the database based on whatever nutrition label they're looking at.
  • chasbachasba Posts: 4Member Member Posts: 4Member Member
    Maybe but that doesn’t alter the fact that many of the units are less than helpful.
  • PlowhandlePlowhandle Posts: 1Member Member Posts: 1Member Member
    I agree. Fat Secret does handle this better as they have grams for everything. It’s a PITA to conver or try and figure out the rediculus volume measurements
  • rileysownerrileysowner Posts: 7,844Member Member Posts: 7,844Member Member
    I won't argue,but for many of us the units of measure on the nutrition labels in the country we are in are like that. Example, in Canada the unit of measure for ice cream is ml on nutrition labels. How do you measure a solid accurately in ml? Yet, that is what is on the official labels. The fault lies in the government of Canada allowing the manufacturers to use volume measures for the labels on things they measure out as a liquid when it is still liquid which is then frozen and served frozen. It is a stupid policy which then get reflected in the information here.
  • MikePTYMikePTY Posts: 2,959Member, Premium Member Posts: 2,959Member, Premium Member
    This is a world wide app. That means that are a lot of different ways food is measured. Sometimes in grams, sometimes in ounces, sometimes in tablespoons or cups. A lot of times the labels are less than ideal in this regard, since at least in the US, they will use measurements like tablespoons and cups when weight would be a lot more beneficial. But the good news is that with a little bit of searching, you can usually find most entries in the desired format you want.
  • timmyc8043timmyc8043 Posts: 1Member, Premium Member Posts: 1Member, Premium Member
    Yes just say 100 calories of chicken breast and I ate 1.5 severs therefore 150 calories. 100 calories of rice I ate 1.8 serves therfore 180 calories. That is the simplest and best way. 100 calorie incuments, not so focused on brands and weird sizes of serves. Still love the app.
  • estherdragonbatestherdragonbat Posts: 5,112Member Member Posts: 5,112Member Member
    But different brands have different recipes. And sometimes the recipes vary by country, so the nutritional info on the label won't line up. Halo Top in Canada is similar, but not identical to the US version. Ditto Nature Valley granola bars. And those are just a couple of examples. If you're talking about raw chicken breast, sure. But if it's cooked? McDonald's vs Wendy's will probably have different recipes, and possibly different serving sizes.
  • michael_oldmichael_old Posts: 3Member Member Posts: 3Member Member
    Once you have the nutritional information for a given serving size, it should be "relatively " easy to convert that to any other unit of measure, done server side. All you would need is a drop down menu with all the units of measure and you would just need to select the one that best fits your needs. This would make the interface universal for everyone.
    edited June 12
  • autumnblade75autumnblade75 Posts: 1,313Member Member Posts: 1,313Member Member
    timmyc8043 wrote: »
    Yes just say 100 calories of chicken breast and I ate 1.5 severs therefore 150 calories. 100 calories of rice I ate 1.8 serves therfore 180 calories. That is the simplest and best way. 100 calorie incuments, not so focused on brands and weird sizes of serves. Still love the app.

How do you know you've got 100 calories of rice without weighing it?
  • diogomello12diogomello12 Posts: 28Member, Premium Member Posts: 28Member, Premium Member
    You can always create your own food with whatever you want and insert the nutrition info and your own serving sizes of a product/meal/recipe