THIS is what a serving of pasta looks like...

NCK96
NCK96 Posts: 146 Member
iovnsaz366mq.jpeg

I was so surprised I sent the pic to my husband. I measured out 2 oz. of pasta and cooked it by itself to be sure. It’s Delallo gluten free fusilli, 210 calories, 43 carbs, fyi.)

Replies

• Nerys52
    Nerys52 Posts: 86 Member
    I live in EU, 350 gram box of pasta mini penne . States serves 4 and a portion is 87.5 gram.Calories are given per 100 gram 353 calories. Usually we add jar of tomato pasta sauce and ground beef( 75 up to 100 gram meat for each portion) or box of mushrooms if meatless and vegetables or a salad, maybe a little grated cheese and that is a dinner.
    We do not eat extra bread at the dinner table which is maybe reason portion of pasta is bigger in EU.
    A box of spaghetti 500 gr states calorie value 367 per 100 gram and there a portion size is 100 gram. Same brand from Italy: Grand Italia.

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,122 Member
    edited April 2019
    yirara wrote: »
    NCK96 wrote: »
    iovnsaz366mq.jpeg

I was so surprised I sent the pic to my husband. I measured out 2 oz. of pasta and cooked it by itself to be sure. It’s Delallo gluten free fusilli, 210 calories, 43 carbs, fyi.)

I don't even know what 'a serving' is. Is it something that the producer decided to put on the pack to make it look low calorie or a normed amount?

I did a little research:

USA: https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfcfr/CFRSearch.cfm?fr=101.12

The EU doesn't have any formal way of determining portion size, it's down to manufacturer. My assumption would be that manufacturers base it proportionally as part of an average 3 meal a day, 2000/2500 calorie diet. UK/Ireland majority of pasta packs I've bought regardless of brand have portion size as 75g which is approx 170g cooked at 300 cals.

n6t1ibzji5mz.png

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,329 Member
    yirara wrote: »
    NCK96 wrote: »
    iovnsaz366mq.jpeg

I don't even know what 'a serving' is. Is it something that the producer decided to put on the pack to make it look low calorie or a normed amount?

I did a little research:

USA: https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfcfr/CFRSearch.cfm?fr=101.12

The EU doesn't have any formal way of determining portion size, it's down to manufacturer.

Thanks a lot. Oh dear, 1 serving of pasta constitutes 55gr? That's not a lot, and difficult to calculate with. I usually eat 70-80, and a lot more with certain, mostly vegetarian pasta dishes.