This April I Will...

Options
12346»

Replies

• nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,648 Member
    Options
    Sleeping at least 6 hours but not enough. Work has been very hectic. Get home and at least spend another hour decompressing. Hoping to catch up today, my day off.

@prgirl39mfp You're right. 6 hours of sleep is not enough. There's lots of research out there that shows we just don't perform well or feel well if we don't get enough sleep. I've heard its importance is moving right up there with diet and exercise as part of a healthy lifestyle. I hope work will slow down for you soon and you are catching up on some much needed zzzz's.
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,754 Member
    Options

@PackerFanInGB , I’m so sorry that you are going through this stressful time. I totally understand eating when times are emotionally draining. I have recently realized that when my husband is having a stressful conversation with his brother (who is developing dementia), I find myself eating chocolate voraciously.

This last week I’ve been pretty bad keeping up with my April goal of staying under my fat goal for 3 days per week. I only stayed under my fat goal one day, and only pre-logged 4 days. But, I’m determined to do better in the coming week.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,972 Member
    Options
    nebslp wrote: »
    @MadisonMolly2017 Your passion for art has spilled over into a passion for living...or is it the other way around?!? I believe that by focusing on what makes you feel alive and fulfilled, you bring more of that into your life. It just happens when you put in the work. You are becoming fearless and confident in your abilities and that's being reflected back to you by the new opportunities that are arising. I'm so happy for you:)

@nebslp Thank you so much! It’s synergistic! Both art & life fueling as well as heath, success in weight loss, vast fitness improvement, nature, great art groups (social), great art classes, a clean home, vastly less stress, sunshine, Spring, gratitude, coming to terms with all that is Life: temporary, ephemeral, beat AMAZING odds just to be here, thrilled...
    77tes wrote: »
    @MadisonMolly2017 I love that you record your process and share it with us. You are indeed following/creating your path! <3

@77tes thank you for this! I’ve wondered if I should or not, but I’m building this daily habit & it keeps me focused on that!

Thank you so much!💕

I completely agree! I really enjoy hearing the details of your process! I can feel the joy creating artwork gives you and that’s wonderful!

@themedalist Thank you❣️
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    The saga continues!

4/20 purchased higher quality copier paper (in sale) for my Art Play. I love how smooth, bright white, and classy it feels.

Spent many hours:

Copying paintings & parts of paintings.The copies look great!

Coloring/augmenting watercolor backgrounds with colored pencils! Fun!

Folded one page into a zine. Not enthused, but it should look good with collage, rubber stamping, quotes/words, sketches...

Input color pencil & watercolor into my iPhone art apps & played, occasionally saving/snduplicating & playing in a diff. Direction.

Printed, cut sections, rearranged. Not completely satisfied

Went back to art apps in iPhone - played. Came upon a great section of original apps & then used 4 apps to modify.

I Love What I got to in the end! Magical image. Inspired by fairy tales...mulling over a series :)

4/21 watched some online watercolor instruction videos
    Added many images to my Pinterest account to help me learn the compositions & styles I love the most.
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the insightful tips. I am averaging 8 hours of sleep which is my goal. I am adding more meditation and making sure I am hydrated.

@PackerFanInGB, hugs and I will pray for you and your family.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    4/21 continued
    Painted two large paintings of wisteria to take to class tomorrow for suggestions...
    3 hours

4/22 went to class and worked on both & painted a copy of an ink drawing of wisteria I did when I woke up
    Pleased with all 3 - learned lots
    3.5 hr

The only bad news is I’m walking less although my Monthly averages are high.
    Scale ticking up
    As I fell back into eating out one meal.

I may have to switch my focus back to food/exercise from art/decluttering until my weight is back under 152. I am determined to figure out this balance.
  • texasgardnr
    texasgardnr Posts: 2,658 Member
    Options
    This was a really difficult week in a number of ways. I chose to stay up mostly to finish things that I felt needed to be done before morning. And I think it was just once to read so that I could relax to get into sleep mode. However, no late night NetFlix binging/ coloring :laugh: .

So far: Last full week in March: 7/7 lights out before midnight :sleeping:

First week in April, including March 31: 4/7 lights out before midnight :yawn:

Second week in April: 6/7 lights out before midnight. :sleeping:

Third week in April: 2/7 lights out by 11 P.M. Otherwise after midnight. :yawn:

I am going to continue to work towards lights out by 11 P.M.

:flowerforyou:
  • prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Options
    nebslp wrote: »
    Sleeping at least 6 hours but not enough. Work has been very hectic. Get home and at least spend another hour decompressing. Hoping to catch up today, my day off.

@prgirl39mfp You're right. 6 hours of sleep is not enough. There's lots of research out there that shows we just don't perform well or feel well if we don't get enough sleep. I've heard its importance is moving right up there with diet and exercise as part of a healthy lifestyle. I hope work will slow down for you soon and you are catching up on some much needed zzzz's.

Thanks friend! I sure hope so. It has been very difficult to adjust.

Good luck @texasgardnr 11pm sounds like a reasonable time to go to bed.
    @MadisonMolly2017 balance is where I am struggling too. Hope it gets better for you as well.

Hugs @PackerFanInGB

I am still not sleeping more than 6 hours. I am overeating too, not crappy food but eating too much quantity. I guess is the body's way to compensate. Sounds crazy. Not giving up!
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    4/23- labeled art drawers

4/24- art group & art class (worked with black lines - loose & free over a copy of an earlier watercolor) + TONS of work on iPhone apps of my pieces esp when I couldn’t sleep until 3 am😳

4/25 - watched several videos from an on-line class. Drew a sketch from a series of sidewalk cracks. Took 20 photos of road & sidewalk cracks on my walk this evening to do more random art projects. Fun!
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    A very hectic week with my grandson. He was here sick all week and I am tending to my sons pets as well. I have been exhausted and have slept well past the 8 hours I was aiming for. In fact 3 days this week I slept just over 10 hours.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    4/25 modified road crack photos & modules on phone. Great way to stimulate imagination & get original compositions!

4/26 modified many more crack photos on my phone. Very addictive!

Next up: make watercolor & ink
    images based on my photo manipulated versions :)
  • 77tes
    edited April 2019
    Options
    @nebslp , you are smart to evaluate your goal and see that it was overly ambitious. Learning something every day!

@PinkyPan1 , your week sounds totally exhausting. I’m glad you got to get more sleep to power up.

@prgirl39mfp , I absolutely believe that not getting enough sleep leads to overeating. Your brain tries to boost your energy, so it tells your body to eat more. Hope you can get more sleep.

This week I’ve been doing well with prelogging and staying under fat. That really helps me keep my diary in order. I eat more fruits and veggies and stay under my calories too.
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
    Options
    @nebslp , you are smart to evaluate your goal and see that it was overly ambitious. Learning something every day!

@PinkyPan1 , your week sounds totally exhausting. I’m glad you got to get more sleep to power up.

@prgirl39mfp , I absolutely believe that not getting enough sleep leads to overeating. Your brain tries to boost your energy, so it tells your body to eat more. Hope you can get more sleep.

This week I’ve been doing well with prelogging and staying under fat. That really helps me keep my diary in order. I eat more fruits and veggies and stay under my calories too.

I agree! And good job staying under your fat target, @77tes!

I have been reading your posts and I think we made some real progress in April! For me, The two month focus on sleeping more has been very beneficial. I know how much better I feel and how much better my day goes when I get more sleep. Sure, I can function on less sleep, but I’ll see subtle indicators (and some not so subtle) that I needed more sleep. Good days can happen with less sleep, but great days require more rest.

I’ve also come to realize that the three most important daily health metrics that I need to pay attention to are food logging, my steps, and sleep.

Make it a great week!
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    4/27 visited art museum. Painted in hotel bathroom at 1:30 AM so as not to wake Hubby when I couldn’t sleep. I will do this from now on at those times. Really relaxing

4/28 visited an amazing, huge art museum - very inspiring. Researched artists I saw & the idea of chance/randomness in creative projects. Spent hours using a random number generator to manipulate photos of the watercolors I did in the middle of night. Did it in airport & on flight. Created some lovely pieces! Inspired.

4/29 Created a Random Art Process Game, using Siri & Alexa and played it twice to create original art that I love.
  • 77tes
    Options
    @themedalist , I’m glad you are getting more sleep.

@MadisonMolly2017, I love your idea of painting in the hotel bathroom. I’ve had the same problem of being unable to sleep in a hotel, and spending hours in the bathroom. I usually read or play a game on my phone. Painting is much better!

I really like my April goal, and although I went off track for Spring break and Easter week, I think it is a great way to do keep my diary in order. I think I’ll continue it into May, since I’m still struggling with remembering to pre- log.
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,648 Member
    Options
    @themedalist , I’m glad you are getting more sleep.

@MadisonMolly2017, I love your idea of painting in the hotel bathroom. I’ve had the same problem of being unable to sleep in a hotel, and spending hours in the bathroom. I usually read or play a game on my phone. Painting is much better!

I really like my April goal, and although I went off track for Spring break and Easter week, I think it is a great way to do keep my diary in order. I think I’ll continue it into May, since I’m still struggling with remembering to pre- log.

@77tes I like the idea that we can carry over a goal from one month to the next. Sometimes it takes awhile to get it all figured out. I'm also glad we can choose to change every month. Looking back I can see how one goal or another has been really helpful and others that I'm not ready for yet.

@MadisonMolly2017 You are very resourceful and know how to work around obstacles when it comes to being creative. Yay!

Congrats to all April participants who tried and failed (me), tried and succeeded, and tried and just learned a little more about themselves! We are all winners!!
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    @nebslp
    Thanks so much!!

I wouldn’t say you failed at all! You’re studying and learning 2 hours a day & doing much more! Perhaps another way to express it was (as you did in an earlier post) “my April goal was overly ambitious...”

I’ve made goals like that, too. A big part of the art of goal setting (to me) is the scope & assessing if I have true motivation for that change. I’ve learned to set minimum time goals per day and to think of them as Monthly goals. So 15 mins Declutter per day, but when I get lost in it & do an hour, that counts for 4 days.

Even with my art goal, I found I’d need to do other things (laundry/bills) and/or need a day’s break from it.

I’m so glad we’re on this journey together!
  • texasgardnr
    texasgardnr Posts: 2,658 Member
    Options
    So far: Last full week in March: 7/7 lights out before midnight :sleeping:

First week in April, including March 31: 4/7 lights out before midnight

Second week in April: 6/7 lights out before midnight. :sleeping:

Third week in April: 2/7 lights out by 11 P.M. Otherwise after midnight.

Fourth week in April: 1/7 lights out by 11 P.M. Otherwise at or after midnight

I am going to continue to work in May towards lights out by 11 P.M. and eventually a little earlier so that I can get up earlier, and feel rested.

:flowerforyou: