Marinade Madness

Hey all!

Now that Spring time is here and warmer we ather is on its way, my boyfriend and I love to grill out! That being said, we use marinade when we grill chicken. However, I usually create my own marinade because I eat a low sodium diet.

How do you log marinade? Obviously the meat is absorbing it, but a ton goes in the trash. Any tips? Thanks! 😀

Replies

• Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    I just guesstimate quantities used and absorbed.

It's hard to be more precise than that without weighing. And weighing marinated meat is a messy, unsanitary business. Plus then some of the marinade falls into the fire or gets burned off. Hence guesstimating.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Jruzer wrote: »
    I just guesstimate quantities used and absorbed.

It's hard to be more precise than that without weighing. And weighing marinated meat is a messy, unsanitary business. Plus then some of the marinade falls into the fire or gets burned off. Hence guesstimating.

Yeah, it's a tough thing to judge. It can help to weigh the bag with just the marinade, and then weigh whatever's left after, but it's far from perfect due to absorption rates of different parts of the marinade.
  • hollyntuttle95
    hollyntuttle95 Posts: 42 Member
    So I made the marinade as a recipe. The actual recipe I'm making is for 5, so I made the marinade's serving size 5 as well. When I logged it, I logged half a serving. Does that seem fair?
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    So I made the marinade as a recipe. The actual recipe I'm making is for 5, so I made the marinade's serving size 5 as well. When I logged it, I logged half a serving. Does that seem fair?

Yes. Go for it.
  • echmain3
    echmain3 Posts: 231 Member
    What are the exact ingredients in your marinade?

What few marinades I’ve made are mostly lemon juice or soy sauce and spices and seasoning.

They are very low in calories.

Its sauces like bbq or teriyaki (which are mostly sugar) that can get you on calories.

A marinade should an acidic liquid that can work into the meat.