Innocent snacks

Innocent snacks. I was eating LateJuly chips with salsa fooling myself that my active lifestyle would counter the calories. wrongwrongwrong.

A week ago, I started to get an aftertaste from all chips (the salt, I think), so I switched to a hippie trail mix and guess what. I dropped 4 lbs. Without the chips and salsa, I can eat a minimum 2300 calories a day and still lose weight.

Freakin' innocent tasty snacks.....

Replies

• pjwrt
    pjwrt Posts: 166 Member
    I am guessing the salt was causing you to retain water. Certain foods won't cause you to gain permanent weight (I know retained water does have weight, but it's temporary) if you are under your calorie goals.

Chips and salsa sound salty, although trail mix is often salty too.

Yep. As soon as I put it in writing, I saw it. Like I said, though, innocent snacks can be evil. I cook most of my vegetarian food and use very little no-sodium-salt, so my misguided thought process was that the salt from the innocently evil snacks wasn't nuttin'.

If the hippie snack causes problems, I'll spot it. Seriously. I will.

But, no great harm done, just blindsided by tasty snacks once again....
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 787 Member
    MikePTY wrote: »
    Most weeks I have tacos. So that's chips, salsa, sour cream, pico, avocado, cheese, beef... Perfectly fits within my diet.

Water weight fluctuations come and go. Delicious treats are forever. I would not deny yourself ones you like that fit within your calorie goal because of how it may fluctuate your water weight.

Jamaican me hungry
  • RunsWithDogsWI
    RunsWithDogsWI Posts: 31 Member
    MikePTY wrote: »
    Most weeks I have tacos. So that's chips, salsa, sour cream, pico, avocado, cheese, beef... Perfectly fits within my diet.

Water weight fluctuations come and go. Delicious treats are forever. I would not deny yourself ones you like that fit within your calorie goal because of how it may fluctuate your water weight.

We're having tacos tomorrow at work and your post is getting me HYPED
  • tbougher2
    tbougher2 Posts: 3 Member
    what is hippie trail mix
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    tbougher2 wrote: »
    what is hippie trail mix

A stereotype that I dislike but was refraining from commenting on. To me, anyway. Not sure what the OP means by it.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Love my snacks too!
  • brittonstutts510
    brittonstutts510 Posts: 1 Member
    I really would like to find a healthy snack for night time. I am not looking for sugar or sodium....including fruit. Does anyone have a suggestion here?
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Melba canapes? Hard eggs.
  • SoaringOccamy
    SoaringOccamy Posts: 57 Member
    I guess it depends on your definition of innocent. I do indulge in the occasional sugar-free candy, pudding, or ice cream, but I also love to have a slice of breakfast ham and swiss cheese. I find it to be nice and filling and only 130 calories all together. It's pretty delicious and tastes even better if you stick it in the microwave first.

I also like to toss chopped apples in a skillet and cook them with cinnamon and vanilla. By the time they're done, they're hot and sweet and amazing on a waffle, pancake, or if you're really in the mood for a sweet treat, half of a sugar-free blueberry muffin.
  • StargazerB
    StargazerB Posts: 425 Member
    I really would like to find a healthy snack for night time. I am not looking for sugar or sodium....including fruit. Does anyone have a suggestion here?
    Cut up raw veggies.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    I often have fat-free Greek yogurt.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Air popped popcorn.
  • Justin_7272
    Justin_7272 Posts: 341 Member
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    You could try different chips

Bingo! Change the vessel and cut the calories; sliced cucumbers, zucchini chips, celery...all great choices!

There are also some chip alternatives that could be interesting...(https://cocofoods.com/shop/index.php/coco-lite/coco-lite-original.html)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    edited May 2019
    I can eat a 2500 calorie bag of GoRaw trail mix from Trader Joes in one day. :neutral:

Freakin' delish and high cal. Emphasis on the delish part.

Yes. Twenty five hundred.