Looking for tips on a bike helmet

megamom
megamom Posts: 920 Member
I have never worn a bike helmet in all my riding but we are planning on a bike ride that requires it. My head sweats terrible so any good suggestions on a womans bike helmet that doesn't need a sweat band under it and is light, thanks in advance.

Replies

• googookid
    googookid Posts: 9 Member
    Your sweat will still bound to flow downwards. Get the ones with big air ventilators. They will help keep your head cool. Another solution will be to put on a cycling cap and wear your helmet on. Looks way cooler also 😊
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Good idea to ALWAYS wear a bike helmet. I suggest you visit you local BIKE SHOP to be sure you’re fitted properly and know how to align it and tighten it for safety. They can also explain the different models and features. Most helmets are light and slotted for ventilation but plan on getting a sweaty head! The lightest helmets are more specialized and probably cost more. Have fun on your ride!
  • lawsonsaysread
    lawsonsaysread Posts: 53 Member
    Unfortunately, I am afraid you are just destined to drip sweat. And it will get smelly after a couple of sweaty rides. However, I would encourage you to make sure you always wear one. At the very least, a bike helmet has save me from a serious head injury, and my daughter suffered a severe concussion while wearing one. I hesitate to imagine what would have happened had she not been wearing a helmet.

I second the suggestion to get fitted at a good bike shop.
  • awinner_au
    awinner_au Posts: 249 Member
    I sweat loads, bought things like the gutr sweatband. Now i just wear a lightweight cycling cap under the helmet and never have a problem.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    +1 on cycling caps. They look a little dorky at first, but become an acquired taste. Anyway they soak up a lot of sweat, and the visor is just right.

If I were in the market for a helmet right now, I'd look long and hard at the new Trek one. I've never bought any Trek product, and there's a good chance their new helmet will change that.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    On a hot day I'll just tie a bootlace around my head just under the brim of my helmet to channel the sweat away from my eyes to stop them getting sore.

Suggest you go for a good fit, light colour and loads of vents from a recognised helmet manufacturer rather than a "supermarket special" bargain item. There is an (imperfect) correlation between price and quality, imagine how much you would choose to spend if you were split seconds away from a large impact....

Having been hit by a car, flying over the top and landing on my head the damage to my helmet was very sobering. I don't think I would have walked away from that impact if I was bareheaded.
  • megamom
    Thanks everyone. I am 64 and have rode several hundred miles but never used a helmet, I know they are good, just can't stand sweat in my eyes on the hot days. I have been lucky the few accidents I have had over the years only resulted in sprained ankles. I will check out the trek helmet and my local bike shop.
  • Shepeess
    Shepeess Posts: 17 Member
    I cannot recommend getting a helmet highly enough. I would rather Sweat and be alive. I fell on black ice this winter and the first thing I hit on the ground was my head... go to as many shops as you can until you find the helmet for you. I look ridiculous in mine but I wouldn’t leave home without it. 😊
  • megamom
    q41mafpzzyda.jpg Went and tried on this helmet in another color and really liked so ordered in the color shown on the trek site. Now I will probably have a wreak, LOL. It fits great and seems cool enough.
  • googookid
    googookid Posts: 9 Member
    megamom wrote: »
    q41mafpzzyda.jpg Went and tried on this helmet in another color and really liked so ordered in the color shown on the trek site. Now I will probably have a wreak, LOL. It fits great and seems cool enough.

Love the color!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,814 Member
    edited May 2019
    Mine ... :)

dkconj70z3p2.png

When I came to Australia, I had a helmet I really liked. Unfortunately fairly recently I found out that it didn't meet Australia's standards. Plus it was getting a bit old.

I tried several helmets and purchased one I thought might work. It's just OK, but not good on long rides. I purchased another one because it was the same brand I wore in Canada and I like the look of it. It was better, but didn't seem to fit quite right.

So this past Christmas, my husband was debating what to get me and we were in a bicycle shop. I mentioned I liked the look of the helmet in the photo above and he encouraged me to try it. It was great! Fit me nicely. And so we decided to buy it. Turns out it was on sale for about half price! Excellent!!

I've picked up another one -- different brand -- which is pretty good too. I can colour-coordinate helmets with my kit now. :grin: To some extent. :grin:

Helmets can be pretty personal. What works for one might not work for another. But it is important to find one that feels so right that almost forget you're wearing it. :)
  • Machka9
    edited May 2019
    And the reason I wear a helmet ...

I've cycled 168,359.2 km since April 29, 1990 (29 years!!) and have had a few accidents in that time. Most haven't been serious, but one was.

One accident did this ...

myvuy65z23hy.png

That accident resulted in a mild concussion, a badly separated shoulder and bruises from head to toe. I hit my head hard enough to knock myself out with the helmet on. I was very glad I had the helmet or it could have been my head with that crack in it!!

Just my own personal feelings on the matter. :)

• megamom
    I have ridden several hundred miles also, up and down mountains, full speed down paved roads, back trails and was extremely lucky not to every wreak but I am older, break easier and finally broke down and decided to take the plunge. Mackha, so glad the helmet saved your life. Even my husband started wearing one occasionally a couple of years ago. I am going to insist we both wear it all the time because he has had a couple of bad accidents where he fractured rips, don't want it to be his head.
  • Machka9
    edited May 2019
    I have ridden several hundred miles also, up and down mountains, full speed down paved roads, back trails and was extremely lucky not to every wreak but I am older, break easier and finally broke down and decided to take the plunge. Mackha, so glad the helmet saved your life. Even my husband started wearing one occasionally a couple of years ago. I am going to insist we both wear it all the time because he has had a couple of bad accidents where he fractured rips, don't want it to be his head.

No ... you certainly don't want it to be his head!

My husband and I are both cyclists (especially long distance cycling -- Audax, Randonneuring), and that has been all right, but he had a workplace accident in March 2018 which resulted in a severe brain injury. Coma for 3 weeks. Hospital for much longer. Will not likely ever fully recover. We know all too well what can happen when there's a head injury.

But I'm glad it wasn't a cycling accident, and I'm glad he has made as much of a recovery as he has. He's back on the bicycle again for short distances. :) And we never ride without a helmet.

I didn't ride with a helmet for about the first year when I started cycling "seriously" in 1990, but I've worn one ever since. I actually like the whole cycling kit! :)
  • megamom
    8ufmyir9e09f.jpg I bought this mirror which attaches to my helmet. I always had trouble with a mirror that didn't slip around so this should be great.
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    8ufmyir9e09f.jpg I bought this mirror which attaches to my helmet. I always had trouble with a mirror that didn't slip around so this should be great.

@megamom , that mirror looks interesting, could you please, post the link unless you got it at your local shop, or maybe brand name and model? I was riding with the helmet my whole adult life, but felt that mirrors on the bike were too dorky. And about a month ago i was hit by a car from behind. Oh, how much i wish i got the mirrors earlier! I bought some now, for my road bike and for commuter too, but the ones i tried for helmet didn't work, i couldn't see well, adjustments were next to impossible, so I'm curious about the one you've gotten. How do you like it?
  • icemom011
    en9onrl93ki5.jpg
    That's my helmet, it's LG, few years old, but i love it. Light, with many openings for airflow. Too many, in fact. I ride with cycling cap or bandana under it to protect my head from sun exposure.
  • megamom
    https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=safe+zone+bicycle+mirror&&view=detail&mid=5B539B1F0C405E06D8D35B539B1F0C405E06D8D3&&FORM=VRDGAR It is called safe Zone bike mirror. I got it at my local shop but they carry it on Amazon I believe. Now I am looking for padded undershorts. I have lost 55 pounds since last year so lost a lot of my natural padding, any suggestions for best comfort and under a pair of peddle pushers?
  • Madwife2009
    Madwife2009 Posts: 1,369 Member
    @megamom

I am so glad that you decided to get a cycling helmet. I had to watch my six year old crash her bike on Friday - she was going downhill, quite fast and either lost control or hit a kerb. She and the bike flew up into the air and I thought that we would be calling for an ambulance. I couldn't believe it when she untangled herself from the bike and stood up.

She got away with a few bruises and superficial cuts, and I maintain that her cycling helmet saved her head from more trauma than she ended up with.

The cuts have almost healed, the bruises are looking glorious but she's fine.
  • icemom011
    @megamom

I am so glad that you decided to get a cycling helmet. I had to watch my six year old crash her bike on Friday - she was going downhill, quite fast and either lost control or hit a kerb. She and the bike flew up into the air and I thought that we would be calling for an ambulance. I couldn't believe it when she untangled herself from the bike and stood up.

She got away with a few bruises and superficial cuts, and I maintain that her cycling helmet saved her head from more trauma than she ended up with.

The cuts have almost healed, the bruises are looking glorious but she's fine.

You fall harder as you get older, lol. Glad your little one is ok, helmets are a must!