Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Why you could never be an mfp moderator..

Replies

• pizzamyheartpizzamyheart Posts: 1,619Member Member Posts: 1,619Member Member
    ythannah wrote: »
    I've been a mod (elsewhere) and it sucks all the fun out of hanging out on the forums, you don't get to pick and choose what you want to read and it's very time consuming.

We know you are saying this because too many people are lining up to be mfp
    Mods. I heard you all had a mod slumber party including pillow fights on your last mod retreat in Canada.
  • your_future_ex_wifeyour_future_ex_wife Posts: 4,323Member Member Posts: 4,323Member Member
    I've been a mod (elsewhere) and it sucks all the fun out of hanging out on the forums, you don't get to pick and choose what you want to read and it's very time consuming.

What made you want to do it? Were there perks? Coupons? Just a belief in the community?
  • michael1976_camichael1976_ca Posts: 3,314Member Member Posts: 3,314Member Member
    Who would i complain to if i was a mod. So a big no for me
  • ythannahythannah Posts: 2,804Member Member Posts: 2,804Member Member

What made you want to do it? Were there perks? Coupons? Just a belief in the community?

No perks whatsoever. Definitely a belief in the community, and a desire to keep it a safe and sane place for all the members. I'm pretty objective and levelheaded so I thought I could do a decent job of it. The mods were spread all over the world, so it helped to have us all in different time zones.

I became quite good friends with the other mods and spent a lot of time hanging out in the mods' forum. You kinda needed that support because it was a thankless job at times. There are some really nutty people on the internet.

And, of course, the slumber parties with pillow fights.
  • newmeadownewmeadow Posts: 1,328Member Member Posts: 1,328Member Member

A history of hall monitoring volunteerism in elementary school?
  • newmeadownewmeadow Posts: 1,328Member Member Posts: 1,328Member Member

No perks whatsoever. Definitely a belief in the community, and a desire to keep it a safe and sane place for all the members. I'm pretty objective and levelheaded so I thought I could do a decent job of it. The mods were spread all over the world, so it helped to have us all in different time zones.

I became quite good friends with the other mods and spent a lot of time hanging out in the mods' forum. You kinda needed that support because it was a thankless job at times. There are some really nutty people on the internet.

Yeah let's sign up to make Chit Chat sane. That oughta work.
  • your_future_ex_wifeyour_future_ex_wife Posts: 4,323Member Member Posts: 4,323Member Member

Thank you!
  • Vikka_VVikka_V Posts: 8,114Member Member Posts: 8,114Member Member

Power trip?
    ...no offence, I love all our mods...but I don't get moderation a bit...free speech and all and we're (mostly) all adults and can/should be able to decide and speak as we wish (judgement not withheld)

If a person has a problem with another person, ya...HR or something...otherwise life and all interaction should just be a mish-mash Human zoo.

I get "moderation" for like a divorce or something where people can't even talk reasonably with each other, and I "get" moderation for a website where super (potentially) offensive ideas are expressed...but at the same time this is all just human interaction and people will form opinions, react and express as they choose.

Its not bad, it lets us "judge" who we want to interact with
    Vikka_V wrote: »

Power trip?
    ...no offence, I love all our mods...but I don't get moderation a bit...free speech and all and we're (mostly) all adults and can/should be able to decide and speak as we wish (judgement not withheld)

If a person has a problem with another person, ya...HR or something...otherwise life and all interaction should just be a mish-mash Human zoo.

I get "moderation" for like a divorce or something where people can't even talk reasonably with each other, and I "get" moderation for a website where super (potentially) offensive ideas are expressed...but at the same time this is all just human interaction and people will form opinions, react and express as they choose.

Honestly, if there were no mods I probably wouldn’t be here. Mean people scare me and I’d run away and hide under my pillow if they weren’t kept in check.
    If I were a mod I’d reprogram the site to make every mean person have an erectile dysfunction logo under their posts.
    If I were a mod I’d reprogram the site to make every mean person have an erectile dysfunction logo under their posts.

❤️
    I’m not sure I could survive the hazing rituals they force upon new moderator prospects. I’ve heard they involve farm animals, cauliflower and bath tub selfies.
  • laprimaJennylaprimaJenny Posts: 1,148Member Member Posts: 1,148Member Member
    So I can have all the cream puffs I want

8krd3qp3q667.gif
  • samtarlyonadietsamtarlyonadiet Posts: 944Member Member Posts: 944Member Member
    Mods cant send flirty DMs so I'm out
  • cee134cee134 Posts: 33,842Member Member Posts: 33,842Member Member
    So I can have all the cream puffs I want

8krd3qp3q667.gif

xqgzqdqy1bwh.gif

Mods make the rules. They do what they want. They actually wrote the constitution.
  • Vikka_VVikka_V Posts: 8,114Member Member Posts: 8,114Member Member

Power trip?

Honestly, if there were no mods I probably wouldn’t be here. Mean people scare me and I’d run away and hide under my pillow if they weren’t kept in check.

Mean people rattle me too...I get super offended and a stress headache often from them, (even on here when they are mean to another person, not me (as judged by me!))

but at the same time it lets me "judge" (their character)

I'm also very non confrontational...get a stress headache arguing and all confused and "black out" about what I say.

Want to share tho, the best, life changing advice I think I've ever received! It was from a 14 year old girl who said to me one day when I was upset by someone being "mean" to me was "it's not about you"...so everytime now I feel hurt, offended, whatever...I just replay my actions and try to remember that other peoples reactions are not indicative of me.
    ...it may be a "them" problem
    ...or maybe their dog just died?
    ...or their house burned down?
    ...or they're just a total piece of *kitten* and are a snarky, nasty, miserable person??!

You and lots of people may know this already...but it was a 'mind shift' moment for me!
  • RunHardBeStrongRunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,126Member Member Posts: 33,126Member Member

Power trip?

Mean people rattle me too...I get super offended and a stress headache often from them, (even on here when they are mean to another person, not me (as judged by me!))

I'm also very non confrontational...get a stress headache arguing and all confused and "black out" about what I say.

Want to share tho, the best, life changing advice I think I've ever received! It was from a 14 year old girl who said to me one day when I was upset by someone being "mean" to me was "it's not about you"...so everytime now I feel hurt, offended, whatever...I just replay my actions and try to remember that other peoples reactions are not indicative of me.
    ...or they're just a total piece of *kitten* and are a snarky, nasty, miserable person??!

You and lots of people may know this already...but it was a 'mind shift' moment for me!

I try to think of it this way too. I often think they must be so miserable in life that they want everyone else to be as well.
  • samtarlyonadietsamtarlyonadiet Posts: 944Member Member Posts: 944Member Member

Mods make the rules. They do what they want. They actually wrote the constitution.

Cheesy DM coming your way then ;-)

Power trip?

This is why I’m mean to everyone equally.