Running side effect

I’m in my last week of the c25k and the temperatures where I live are finally climbing so my outdoor runs and getting sweatier. I’m noticing the inside of my elbows get very sweaty (from having my arms bent in running posture) and am developing bumps and red lines around the area. Is this a normal heat rash/common runners problem? And if so, anything that helps relieve it? Hasn’t been a problem before because the weather was cooler and I was wearing long sleeved shirts on my runs so I guess that absorbed some of the sweat and/or I wasn’t getting as warm. It’s too hot to wear long sleeves now and apart from trying to wipe it away periodically as I run or trying to straighten my arms at times (which feels unnatural and awkward lol) not sure what to do.

Replies

• sfernando2
    sfernando2 Posts: 2 Member
    Hey mbouchard1234, a possible solution to your problem might be to wear an arm sleeves like LeBron James.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    could be heat rash. you could try using diaper rash cream on it
  • leonoraoropesa
    leonoraoropesa Posts: 41 Member
    Use deodorant it lessen the friction creating a much better posture in running on your armpits or even inside your thighs. I start wearing shorts now that’s it’s sunny in Canada, thank God. Hope that helps.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Try Aquaphor.
  • hlr1987
    hlr1987 Posts: 151 Member
    Does sound like sweat rash, I second the roll on antiperspirant anywhere and everywhere.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Powder can help. I wouldn't use antiperspirant as blocking the sweat from exiting your body can make things worse (as can lotions).

Though you said you don't like it, regularly giving the area air during your runs is one of the best things you can do. It comes with an added benefit that waving your arms while you run once in a while actually helps to improve your posture and to keep your body relaxed.

Try sweatbands on your wrists or forearms that you can use to periodically dry the area off during a run. Rinse and powder immediately afterwards to cool things down.