Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Why you could never be an mfp moderator..

Replies

• ythannahythannah Posts: 2,860Member Member Posts: 2,860Member Member
    Vikka_V wrote: »
    ythannah wrote: »
    I've been a mod (elsewhere) and it sucks all the fun out of hanging out on the forums, you don't get to pick and choose what you want to read and it's very time consuming.

What made you want to do it? Were there perks? Coupons? Just a belief in the community?

Power trip?
    ...no offence, I love all our mods...but I don't get moderation a bit...free speech and all and we're (mostly) all adults and can/should be able to decide and speak as we wish (judgement not withheld)

If a person has a problem with another person, ya...HR or something...otherwise life and all interaction should just be a mish-mash Human zoo.

I get "moderation" for like a divorce or something where people can't even talk reasonably with each other, and I "get" moderation for a website where super (potentially) offensive ideas are expressed...but at the same time this is all just human interaction and people will form opinions, react and express as they choose.

Its not bad, it lets us "judge" who we want to interact with

You have to keep in mind that not all members of the reading audience are as resilient and thick-skinned as we'd want them to be. Some people are more emotionally fragile than others, or may temporarily be in a more fragile state.

And on the flip side there are some really nasty characters on the internet who get off on the ability to spew pretty vile stuff from behind the anonymity of their screen. Plus the relentlessly argumentative ones who can't agree to disagree, or walk away from a dispute.

All websites have owners, who have at least some stake in what is being expressed on their site.
  • NotSo_LittleRichardNotSo_LittleRichard Posts: 1,003Member Member Posts: 1,003Member Member
    If I were a mod, I'd bring back the jailbars on the bad kids' profile pics.

this was a thing lol?
  • slimgirljo15slimgirljo15 Posts: 225,764Member Member Posts: 225,764Member Member
    I asked if I could be one once.. the laughing was so loud I heard it all the way here.. 😂🤣
  • TheRoadDogTheRoadDog Posts: 11,863Member Member Posts: 11,863Member Member
    Internet Police? No thank you. I have neither the time nor the desire to scrutinize the majority of the posts in here.

What is the pay scale?
  • isalsayourface123isalsayourface123 Posts: 1,470Member Member Posts: 1,470Member Member
    newmeadow wrote: »
    ythannah wrote: »
    I've been a mod (elsewhere) and it sucks all the fun out of hanging out on the forums, you don't get to pick and choose what you want to read and it's very time consuming.

What made you want to do it? Were there perks? Coupons? Just a belief in the community?

A history of hall monitoring volunteerism in elementary school?

I was a patrol in elementary school. I am still a huge rule follower ...maybe I should be a mod🤨
  • your_future_ex_wifeyour_future_ex_wife Posts: 4,652Member Member Posts: 4,652Member Member
    So, I’m a kiss *kitten*, whatever. Idgaf. I appreciate the mods for making this a safer place for people like me whose voices also should be heard and probably wouldn’t be in a more Wild West environment.

That said, I couldn’t be a mod because I am vindictive and because I like to dance right up to the line of inappropriate and sometimes put a toe across.
  • ninerbuffninerbuff Posts: 42,584Member, Greeter Member Posts: 42,584Member, Greeter Member
    Ha! I am a former moderator for MFP. Trust me that there are daily "flags" you have to go over just about every hour with just about every type of complaint.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Keto_VampireKeto_Vampire Posts: 1,692Member Member Posts: 1,692Member Member
    Would not be able to share a jail cell with Jo for posting far too offensive stuff often taken out of context...can't not offend anyone nowadays
  • spade117spade117 Posts: 2,433Member Member Posts: 2,433Member Member
    I heard you have to have a sparkling clean record with no woos or warnings.

Those things are on our permanent record?
  • RunHardBeStrongRunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,126Member Member Posts: 33,126Member Member
    spade117 wrote: »
    I heard you have to have a sparkling clean record with no woos or warnings.

Those things are on our permanent record?

Of course, MFP forums are serious stuff.
  • pizzamyheartpizzamyheart Posts: 1,845Member Member Posts: 1,845Member Member
    SwannySez wrote: »
    Mods cant send flirty DMs so I'm out

This is categorically not true. I have carried on steamy sexting affairs via PM with more than one mod.

You told me I was the only one!
    I prefer NOT to wear big girl pants and deal with things. Instead I don’t wear any pants and forget about things while eating cookies.
  • samtarlyonadietsamtarlyonadiet Posts: 944Member Member Posts: 944Member Member
    I prefer NOT to wear big girl pants and deal with things. Instead I don’t wear any pants and forget about things while eating cookies.

What kind of cookies? This is important.

What kind of cookies? This is important.

All the cookies
  • MystiqWingsMystiqWings Posts: 34Member, Premium Member Posts: 34Member, Premium Member
    I'd translate everything in the forums with a mewy language, having mewy mewversations everywhere.

Could that make sommewy a mod or mewy not? :*

• samtarlyonadietsamtarlyonadiet Posts: 944Member Member Posts: 944Member Member
    I'd translate everything in the forums with a mewy language, having mewy mewversations everywhere.

Could that make sommewy a mod or mewy not? :*

I'll have some of what you had this morning
  • laprimaJennylaprimaJenny Posts: 1,271Member Member Posts: 1,271Member Member

The important question is... what kind of cookies?
  • kathryn1391kathryn1391 Posts: 97Member Member Posts: 97Member Member
    I couldn't deal with all the thirst on here :#