Ideas for low Carb side?

brittanymccord6963
brittanymccord6963 Posts: 1 Member
I am really having trouble figuring out a side that's low Carb and not just cooked carrots or broccoli lol or salad.... Any ideas? Like to keep it under 25 carbs at most

Replies

• cigdemct
    cigdemct Posts: 1 Member
    Spinach, lettuce, asparagus are good choices
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Pretty much any vegetable that isn't a starchy root vegetable.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,589 Member
    Roasted non root veg such as cauliflower, green beans. Cauliflower "rice" made by blitzing in a food processor.
  • AmberVazq
    AmberVazq Posts: 15 Member
    No dressing salad
    ( versatile so it can be different every meal)
    1.Lettuce,spinach leaves,kale,or any leafy green you like in salads
    2.fry some spinach leaves no oil till wilted toss in bowl plus diced cucumbers y tomatoes diced tiny melt in your mouth sized
    3.fry any meat or meat substitute if you want to add meats
    4.diced sweet apples yum my fav when craving sweets, can add bean sprouts to nuts anything you like to get the calories you want less or more.
    5. If you still want dressing remember it’s fattening so a tsp. Stir to coat lightly throughout if giant bowl for family to share tablespoon .

Another fun side is nutty cheese spread :smiley:

Nuts crushed add to spread cheese place in crackers or veggies.

Fried veggies without oils

1. No oil take peas & corn or tomatoes with peas or corn or green beans with corn or corn by self or peas alone or green beans alone or bean sprouts with green beans
    fry without water in pan when ready place in bowl or Tupperware
    2.If a butter fiend try margarine only a tsp or papa johns pizza garlic butter add to bowl or Tupperware stir a lot to coat. If can do without skip it.
    Freash veggies,canned,or freeze bagged

Zucchini fun

Make homemade zucchini noodles $4.99 for a handheld zucchini pasta maker at Walmart. Get any skinny long squash at store make noodles add to frying pan with a tsp-tablespoon of water (no oils needed if love olive oil 1/2tsp.)
    Now can add tomatoes if want to or carrots or spinach or we’ll any veggies you want to
    Even avocado slices
    Take spaghetti sauce 1 tsp per person stir up to coat.

You will find with time you need less sauces,butters,seasonings,dressings,etc maybe even none at all with time.

Tea aholic like me - I’m finally down to a big cold water plus 3-4oz tea 1-2 Xs a day it’s My Mum being part British that got me hooked found out it’s adding the weight after my menopause baby boy.

• allisone423
    allisone423 Posts: 14 Member
    I love shrimp scampi as a side or as an appetizer. Zero carbs!
  • dpaden25
    dpaden25 Posts: 99 Member
    Cauliflower Mac n Cheese I LOVE It
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Green beans, mushrooms, asparagus
  • InspectorRed
    InspectorRed Posts: 757 Member
    I used to make a cole slaw using splenda....I can't remember the exact recipe but it was very good and low carb.

I also did a lot of stuffed mushrooms when I was doing low carb, I love combining cream cheese with chopped up pepperoni and italian seasoning for "pizza stuffed mushrooms"
  • jmachiejr
    jmachiejr Posts: 14 Member
    @AmberVazq, why no salad dressing? I use virgin olive oil and vinegar for dressing. I can't eat a salad without it. I've been in ketosis for 3 months and using olive oil and vinegar has not affected my weight loss or being in ketosis at all.
  • brittanystebbins95
    brittanystebbins95 Posts: 567 Member
    I know you said no, "cooked carrots" but when I think of that I think plain carrots.
    I think they are AMAZING cooked in a crockpot with beef stock and a packet or two of "pot roast" seasoning. Maybe throw in a soup bone or chopped onion for flavor. They get really soft and I suppose you could mash them and have almost a mashed-potato-except-its-carrots type dish. I was addicted to them cooked like that for awhile.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited May 2019
    cauliflower rice. so many ways, you can fry it up with a bit of coconut oil and soy sauce (or i use liquid amino acids). I heat it up in microwave with laughing cow cheese wedges. but are countless recipes to fit all tastes.

I make broccoli slaw using the bag mix and random "vinaigrette". my quick and dirty one is Newman's own Seasame dressing.

spiralized veggies with any sorta sauce.(tomato based for like pasta -like side)
  • AmberVazq
    AmberVazq Posts: 15 Member
    No need for salad dressing it’s very moist with strong flavor. The regular salad dressings actually takes away from the taste if you use too much so like the recipe says if you use salad dressings use a tsp for your plate stir to coat it.I used to work for restaurants from bowling alley/fitness gym one to a fancy $30+ plate restaurant. I created the recipe for my daughter then my bosses all liked it so much it’s now on their menu’s.Olive oil with vinegar is fine I actually use a spritz of olive oil when I use the vegan chicken instead of my normal boneless chicken breasts. #5 on the recipe explains if you want dressing how to use it.
    Just make the salad— take a bite if you feel it needs vinegar with olive oil add it since that’s a perfect choice.Vinegar is actually used by many as a diet aide so it’s a healthy weight loss choice.Portion size is key—Olive oil with vinegar (1/4cup 281 calories or less) is a very positive healthy alternative to a cup of Ranch dressings (cup 484calories) or Italian dressing (cup 565calories) which a majority of restaurant eaters prefer is the giant portion of it they use.
    I say use it in your own restaurants too it’s a healthy versatile dish to serve easy to make. I did not get it from a cook book I had to fall a lot until I figured out the perfect combination to be able to eliminate a lot but have a high iron content even when I made hers vegan chicken alternative/mine regular chicken. Of course the gym loved it cause body builders were addicted to it over night lol the sweet delicious apples gave them the sweets they were not allowed to have because it wasn’t apart of a few of the trainers regimens.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,589 Member
    When using vegetable fillers such as spiralized courgette for spaghetti or blitzed califlower for rice, I like to use a half and half mixture so I retain some of the texture of the grain based carbs.
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Tried different cauliflower "rice" options - can be spiced (I like curry) or just fried in a little butter with herbs. Cooks quickly as well.
  • weatherking2019
    weatherking2019 Posts: 943 Member
    edited November 2019
    I just found this 50+ Best Cauliflower Recipes ALL THINGS CAULIFLOWER and looks too good!! https://www.purewow.com/food/cauliflower-recipes
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    My main go to's are: Asparagus, Broccoli, Cauliflower (Roasted), Green Beans (steamed), or Zucchini with Mushrooms and Onions (sautéed). I only buy fresh veggies (regardless of cost) because that's all I really enjoy.

Lately, I've gotten into Roasting Chickpeas (canned) and also Sweet Potatoes (fresh). My BF prefers white/yellow potatoes, so I do both some times with something green. Potatoes tend to be a special occasion thing in our house - I don't have a ton of time to make a meal and some times it's easier to leave the starch out.

Most of our meals are either a protein (meat) and a veggie, or something like stew (jambalaya, stir fry, etc) and rice.

I used to be addicted to quinoa, but burnt out. Couscous too (Pearled and regular). But any more I tend to cut that out just because of time (or it's just something else to make).

What I did find is that seasonings make the veggie. My favorites: Italian Seasoning, Garlic Powder, a mixture of cumin and chili powder. And my BF and I are "spicy food lovers" and will basically eat anything with hot sauce! LOL
  • amckholmes
    amckholmes Posts: 119 Member
    Daikon radish, which is regularly used raw or pickled in asian dishes does a fantastic job as a low carb faux-potato side. You can dice it and fry it, slice it and roast it, make au-gratin potatoes with it... once it’s cooked up it loses the radish flavor and takes the flavor of seasoning or sauce :)
  • AmyG1982
    AmyG1982 Posts: 1,040 Member
    I made rutabaga fries yesterday and they were quite good. Tasted to me like halfway between a regular potato and a sweet potato.
  • dabearo
    dabearo Posts: 57 Member
    Dust