Calling all bibliophiles!

emeraldwoods4214
emeraldwoods4214 Posts: 177 Member
edited May 2019 in Chit-Chat
I’m a total book lover... always looking for a book recommendation.
What are you reading now?
Do you ever like to listen to audiobooks?
How often do you visit your local library or bookstore?
Are you one of those people who always says.... the book is way better than the movie!!??!!

📚📚📚

Right now I’m reading “Handmaid’s Tale” by Margaret Atwood and I’m listening to “The One” by John Marrs

Replies

• Reckoner67
    Reckoner67 Posts: 3,344 Member
    Readers are some of my favorite people sometimes
  • CoffeeAndContour
    CoffeeAndContour Posts: 1,466 Member
    I’m reading The Road back to you. I’m not enough in to recommend it yet.
  • samtarlyonadiet
    samtarlyonadiet Posts: 917 Member
    Have u ever read game the thrones ?
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Just read Lincoln's Last Trial with the book club at my library (great if you're into historical drama), and am now working on Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe (a YA novel that I picked up as research for a book I'm planning to write). I'm a voracious reader, so I try all kinds of things. Don't really do audiobooks, although I listen to a lot of podcasts, especially curated fiction shows like Escape Pod, Pseudopod, Magnus Archives, and the like.
  • iMago
    iMago Posts: 8,714 Member
    kinda jumping back and forth with a few stories right now uhh the hobbit, some Brian Lumley stuff, some bukowski stuff, shane stevens, idk hard to stay focused on one thing lately

i don't really listen to audio books, but i like audio dramas, where they "act" a whole story out with multiple voice actors and usually dynamic sound effects.

i think some movies are better than books, but its pretty rare. the movie version of the Shining is the best example imo. i read the book once, and it bored me out of my mind. but the movie is probably my favorite horror movie ever still, even though its a lot different than the book.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    You want to join me on Goodreads?
  • emeraldwoods4214
    @samtarlyonadiet
    Yesssss I LOVE GOT!!!
    Of course now the show is ahead of the books... but I’m planning to read the prequels he came out with soon.
  • samtarlyonadiet
    samtarlyonadiet Posts: 917 Member
    @samtarlyonadiet
    Yesssss I LOVE GOT!!!
    Of course now the show is ahead of the books... but I’m planning to read the prequels he came out with soon.

@emeraldwoods4214

I pledge my fealty to house Emerald Woods - 4,214th of their name.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member

What are you reading now? Maid by Stephanie Land, and I'm enjoying the read but really not all that impressed. Next up is War Flower by Brooke King.

Do you ever like to listen to audiobooks? no. I like podcasts but can never sustain interest in audiobooks for some reason.

How often do you visit your local library or bookstore? I literally just came from the library 15 minutes ago. I am there several days per week and it's on my route between work & home. I do read a LOT but also go there for DVDs weekly (and not just for myself).

Are you one of those people who always says.... the book is way better than the movie!!??!! Somewhat, yes! But I've kind of come to terms with it and just enjoy the movie on its own. Some film adaptations are actually just as good, in my opinion, but it's rare.
  • RealBaconLover
    RealBaconLover Posts: 17 Member
    Currently reading The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood and Becoming by Michelle Obama. Both are really good reads!
  • emeraldwoods4214
    @seltzermint555
    Awesome! Yes I frequent the library daily on my overdrive app. I also love getting DVDs from there ... sometimes I have to wait a while when it’s on hold but hey ITS FREE!

I can totally relate to you on the book to movie perspective. The books are always way more detailed and I feel like I know the characters more intimately, but I’m always curious to see how the film adaptation will play out. I don’t hate on them... but tend to prefer the book version.
  • J_NY_Z
    J_NY_Z Posts: 2,535 Member
    I am mow reading "Dreams From my Father" by Barack Obama. Fascinating.
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Have u ever read game the thrones ?

Trying to read the second Song of Ice and Fire book right now, but my kiddos keep interrupting my reading time with their school stuff and after school activities and such. Come on Summer!
    What do you think about a summer that lasted years like in SOIAF? I could live with the summer part but not the years of winter thing...
  • Reckoner67
    Reckoner67 Posts: 3,344 Member
    I have many new books to read right now. I may never get unburied
  • NCK96
    NCK96 Posts: 146 Member
    edited May 2019
    I'm kind of weird in that I get on reading kicks where I'll read a book a day, then have months that go by where I read nothing. My goal on Goodreads this year is 50 books and I'm already woefully behind. I was reading The Alice Network a few months ago and just got stuck. It's still on my nighstand. I've listened to a few audiobooks but they usually annoy me because of the mannerisms and attempts at different voices for different characters by the narrators. I was going to my library about every week when I was on my last reading kick. I don't see a lot of movies and I often don't know if there was a book first, but I've seen a few movies I've liked and wondered if it was based on a book that I could find and read so I can dive back into that world for a little while.
  • Ray_Libby
    Ray_Libby Posts: 874 Member
    I love to read and focus on history - especially WWII and the Founding of America and I read a a lot theology and Biblical study books. I usually read 3 to 5 books concurrently. I am reading Systematic Theology by Wayne Grudem and a Bible Commentary by Robert Berg on 1- 3 John. I am reading Comrades by Stephen Ambrose and Ian Tolls Pacific Crucible about the first two years of the war in the Pacific. I also read on kindle and am reading Michael Anton - After the Flight 93 Election - The Vote that Saved America and What We Still Have to Lose. All of these I find are good reads so far with the book by Grudem being the biggest challenge for me but I am enjoying them all. I do listen to books on Audible but listen to more Podcasts that anything.
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    I'm reading

Hells angel the life and times of Sonny Barger

I've never did the audio tape book. To boring.

As far as book being better then the movie sometime. The hurricane about a boxer from long time ago. He wrote a book on his life. The movie made him sound innocent. But the book put doubts in my mind
  • bannock_and_biceps
    bannock_and_biceps Posts: 82 Member
    edited May 2019
    Leila Slimani - Adele, which is a portrait of a stay at home mother with a sex addiction, and also , the Perfect Nanny - by the same author. riveting and often uncomfortable reads. i wish she had more novels out there. i go to the library every week as i'm a voracious reader.

i've tried audio books but i prefer a book in my hands.
  • anl90
    anl90 Posts: 928 Member
    Right now I am reading "Conversations With The Devil" by Jeff Rovin - really great book so far! I hope it gets scary, though. Those are my favorite kind, and I thought that is what I was getting myself into when I got it. lol