Low Sodium Low Fat Low sugar diet

Any suggestions; I am struggling to get enough protein to match sugar intake and carbohydrates intake. I lost initially 11 lbs, still have 30 to go . I was diagnosed with all three bad cholesterols borderline diabetic all due to a medication. I seem to be leveling out on weight loss and I am already eating well below the recommended calories. Ive given up salt just fine, however not getting enough calcium or iron in diet. Cant get motivated to get up and move as I have PTSD and Agoraphobia so it does make it challenging to go out and walk daily. I used to be able when I had my service dog but she passed in December.

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    There are Fats, Carbs and Protein macros and as far as I know it is hard to go low on more than one at a time. I am low on carbs high on fats and middle of the road protein wise. I have never tried to loss weight but did lose 50 pounds the first year and have maintained that loss for going on 4 years now. Best of success.
  • vggb
    vggb Posts: 132 Member
    Eggs and spinach are a good source of iron. Low/no fat Greek yogurt for protein and calcium. If you are successfully giving up salt, I assume you are reading ingredient labels to help eliminate salt from your diet, do the same with sugars.

My doctor asked me to follow the MIND diet. It is low fat, low sugar and low fats. The book is full of good information. It is also easy to follow, not too restrictive, I bought the book on Amazon. It a is relatively new diet that is a cross between the Mediterranean and Dash diets. In 30 days my cholesterol lowered 20pts and my BP is now normal.

It is a new way of eating for me and my health. So far so good. Have a discussion with your doctor too, mine was really helpful as far as making the change. Good luck!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    msosssaman wrote: »
    Any suggestions; I am struggling to get enough protein to match sugar intake and carbohydrates intake. I lost initially 11 lbs, still have 30 to go . I was diagnosed with all three bad cholesterols borderline diabetic all due to a medication. I seem to be leveling out on weight loss and I am already eating well below the recommended calories. Ive given up salt just fine, however not getting enough calcium or iron in diet. Cant get motivated to get up and move as I have PTSD and Agoraphobia so it does make it challenging to go out and walk daily. I used to be able when I had my service dog but she passed in December.

Sorry about your dog :( Are you working towards getting another one? It took me SO LONG to get over the death of mine, which I am sure would have been considerably shorter had I been in the position to get another one.

Chicken breast is a good source of protein that is low sodium, low fat, and low sugar.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    msosssaman wrote: »

I am sorry about your dog and overall struggles.

Re the bold, MFP can be not the best place to track calcium and iron. Are you diagnosed with a deficiency or just seeing low numbers? If just seeing low numbers, I'd check your entries and make sure they have the information, and also just look up foods that are high in both. (Also, I don't know your age/sex, but the RDA for iron is based on women who are of an age where they are menstruating who need more.)

Low fat sources of protein are 0% greek yogurt (check sodium levels), chicken or turkey breast, fish and shellfish, and also low sodium or dried beans or lentils.

I am not sure if you are struggling with carbs/sugar, but you can have low sugar without cutting carbs if you focus on starchier carbs like beans, whole grains, potatoes. Is all sugar a problem or just added? If just added, there's fruit.