Will a couple of days over maintenance end up being a big deal?

Options
Sorry if this sounds stupid but I'm new to maintaining. When I'd have a few off days when I was eating 1200-1500 I wouldn't worry since I was in a deficit before/after and I thought it would all balance out. My maintenance is 1600-1750 or so and I've hit 2300 yesterday and just over 2000 today due to not really tracking/planning(Impulse chocolate cake!). Should I eat a hundred or two less for awhile to in essence "make up" for it or just carry on because my weekly average is just a hair above maintenance now(1867)?

Replies

• jan110144
    jan110144 Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Not unless those couple of days turn into many more.

One caution I have found is to avoid reducing caories on subsequent days too much. I found myself cutting too much on the days after, which then set up a situation where I let myself become overly hungry and then overrate again. Your plan of reducing by 100-200 for a bit is what I do now and that is working well.
  • dogWalkerTX
    dogWalkerTX Posts: 49 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Free advice is worth every cent!

But, in my opinion you should not "make it up". You should accept that you deviated from your plan and you should get back on track. A very useful diet book I read puts it this way, if you "make it up" you are I'm essence opening a line of credit and this makes it easier for you to go off track in the future.

What do you think? What did you decide to do?

Edit: my mistake. You're not losing. You're in maintenance. I think the same idea applies though.
  • staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Nah. Your appetite will probably end up evening it out anyway. If you only ate 700 over maintenance in total it ain't a big deal. I regularly go over one day a week just because life and my weight still stays pretty steady.
  • RovP6
    RovP6 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Yes, as others have said, don't sweat it and get back on track. We all fall off every once in a while and there's no need to over-compensate when you do by cutting back the next day. Just get back to the plan. Weekly totals are a useful way of longer term balance, but if you find yourself hungry or craving then have a look at other factors that might be putting your metabolism under stress. Lack of sleep and other lifestyle stresses will affect your metabolism.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Go by the week, not by the day. But be really really careful about those weeks. They add up. Also, remember to EXERCISE. Even a little makes a big difference and it is really critical for maintaining.