Major gain, I am so ashamed

JuneGem6471
JuneGem6471 Posts: 1,001 Member
I was very active here a couple of years ago and was only about 50 lbs from my goal. I derailed and yesterday I weighed for the first time in a long time and I just sat down and cried. I've gained 70 pounds! I'm devastated that I did this to myself! I really need a lot of support, I have support at home but my family is made up of very thin people so they don't understand. I need support and understanding. I am very sad that I let this happen and now I have even more work ahead of me. Thanks for hearing me out.

Replies

• dogWalkerTX
    dogWalkerTX Posts: 49 Member
    I agree with the other replies. It sucks, but what's done is done. You're here now.

You can completely stop feeling bad because you're fixing it now.

I can relate, I regained weight as well. Back on the horse and making it permanent this time.
  • mrs_kurz
    mrs_kurz Posts: 185 Member
    7 years ago I lost about 42lbs, I've put back on about 30. I am back now to lose them and to keep them off. Wanna be friends? I will be officially logging from Monday :)
  • skuhns92
    skuhns92 Posts: 7 Member
    A year and a half ago I lost 35 pounds through medical issues and I enjoyed being smaller. Fast forward to now and I've gained it all back plus some. I've even gained weight watching portion sizes, types of foods I eat and exercising 3 to 4 times a week. Some of us just have a harder time than others and we need to stick together during this health journey.
  • anl90
    anl90 Posts: 928 Member
    Try your best to remain positive. You are back here - that is a great start! Baby steps, I know you can get right back to where you were at one point. Feel free to add me as a friend if you would like, and best of luck in your journey! <3
  • brightresolve
    brightresolve Posts: 1,024 Member
    Stepping on that scale again = hard! You already did that - honesty, self-disclosure, and you shared your results here. So that's the first hard step!

I am a loser and regainer too, and as you see many others here understand your feelings. You can do this! I am trying to get back in touch with what worked for me before, while paying attention to how I derail myself as well.

All the best in your journey, hand out on here because PEOPLE HERE GET IT. Hugs to you (if you're a hugger)
  • mitch22098
    mitch22098 Posts: 38 Member
    Same as the rest of "us". I lost 70 pounds a few years ago . I was injured and put on 50 pounds. I have worked off 15 pounds, and you will as well. Don't get down on yourself.
  • IsETHome
    IsETHome Posts: 386 Member
    I was very active here a couple of years ago and was only about 50 lbs from my goal. I derailed and yesterday I weighed for the first time in a long time and I just sat down and cried. I've gained 70 pounds! I'm devastated that I did this to myself! I really need a lot of support, I have support at home but my family is made up of very thin people so they don't understand. I need support and understanding. I am very sad that I let this happen and now I have even more work ahead of me. Thanks for hearing me out.

First of all "Welcome Back"!! Its never too late to start over. Try to shift your paradigm. Sometimes having thin people around can be helpful too. Are there activities, health, or habits that they are adhering too that might be helpful for you? If you look back at the loss, think about what has changed and how you can get back on track. I notice a couple of things, 1. you left a support group, and a fitness app that worked for you in the past, and 2. you had not weighted in in a long time (I have two scales in my house - one in my bathroom and one by the dining room table - to remind me). Now that you have had a good cry (and that's ok), time for plan. Again, welcome back. You can do this again, but even better this time for the longer road.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    IsETHome wrote: »

First of all "Welcome Back"!! Its never too late to start over. Try to shift your paradigm. Sometimes having thin people around can be helpful too. Are there activities, health, or habits that they are adhering too that might be helpful for you? If you look back at the loss, think about what has changed and how you can get back on track. I notice a couple of things, 1. you left a support group, and a fitness app that worked for you in the past, and 2. you had not weighted in in a long time (I have two scales in my house - one in my bathroom and one by the dining room table - to remind me). Now that you have had a good cry (and that's ok), time for plan. Again, welcome back. You can do this again, but even better this time for the longer road.

Oh my 2 scales! I have heard it all now. Whatever works. I feel bad about having to weigh every day but like I said whatever works!
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Welcome Back and you can find great support and friends here who get it :) You are in control and you can do this! Nothing crazy, nothing extreme. Figure out a plan you can easily live with that doesn't eliminate everything you love and get to it. Good Luck to you and I know you'll do great.
  • garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    What all of the above have said. You can't change yesterday but you can make a new tomorrow. Don't punish yourself. Just - begin...
  • JuneGem6471
    JuneGem6471 Posts: 1,001 Member

LOL no they are just naturally thin people, my husband has struggled in the past to gain weight and hes put on some pounds since we got married. My step daughter is built just like him. They eat as much of what ever they want and don't gain an ounce. I just need to NOT eat like them. I need to stop enjoying what is bad for me and teach them how to focus more on good things. They refuse to eat vegetables, my husband is a meat and potatoes guy. He is very supportive and is willing to help me any way he can. That helps me, and coming here where I can get a kick in the butt if needed.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member

LOL no they are just naturally thin people, my husband has struggled in the past to gain weight and hes put on some pounds since we got married. My step daughter is built just like him. They eat as much of what ever they want and don't gain an ounce. I just need to NOT eat like them. I need to stop enjoying what is bad for me and teach them how to focus more on good things. They refuse to eat vegetables, my husband is a meat and potatoes guy. He is very supportive and is willing to help me any way he can. That helps me, and coming here where I can get a kick in the butt if needed.

You don't need to teach them anything. If you want vegetables and they don't, then you have vegetables and they don't. Don't make it harder than it has to be by tying your success to to changing what two other people are willing to eat. (If the step daughter is still a child and you're helping to raise her, you could have a discussion with your husband about presenting her with nutritious choices and modeling those choices for her, but that issue is independent of what you eat for purposes of losing weight.)
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 38,952 Member
    I lost 78 lbs back in 09/2010 on here....Life got to me...I gave up and deleted that account....I have given up more than I would like to admit too...I came back with a new account last year...I promised myself I will not give up I started this time around at 252 lbs....I am 234 now....WE GOT THIS!!!...Feel free to add me ...would love to support you while you are on the weight loss train :)
  • SoaringOccamy
    SoaringOccamy Posts: 57 Member
    We've all been there. Just remember that if you did it once, you can do it again. I have had large weight losses and gained them back more times than I can count. It hurts to feel like you're doing the same work over again, but in the end, it is all part of the journey.

I would take this opportunity to reflect and ask yourself what made you fall off the wagon. Over the years I have learned a few things about myself and my weaknesses that I've found to be very helpful when I've run into the same issues again.
  • shmulyeng
    shmulyeng Posts: 472 Member
    I'm in a similar situation. Not the same numbers but the same story. I actually came here looking for more people with the same story. Sending a friend request.