Squeezing out a little more performance (at 50+)

So I am ~30lbs off of my peak body weight of many years ago, most recently maintaining for about 3 years since a major weight loss campaign. All good stuff!

I cross train (swim, ride, run). I am in pretty good shape, but I want a bit more performance!

So, I'd like to drop another 5lbs. My BMI is 25, and I have a good fat layer around my middle, so this is totally reasonable from a health standpoint, but I have found it really difficult to drop weight while staying on a vigorous 7-day training schedule. When I exercise, I need to eat! Otherwise, I get hungry, sleepy, cranky, and even dizzy and I can barely get anything done.

Anyone else in this situation?

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    LOL it's the story of my life. I'd still love to drop another 10 or so lbs, I know that it would improve my running times etc but I also like to eat and at 63 I'm not worried about having a beach body.....between running, cycling, rowing, strength training and (when my shoulder co-operates again) swimming I need fuel and, according to my wife, have been known to get a little hangry if I try to cut back too much!
  • PHOTOCHAP
    PHOTOCHAP Posts: 104 Member
    Sounds like we're all in the same boat. Dropping 30 lb and getting a whole lot healthier is definitely good for us but you try and get rid of that last 5 lb and it seems like it's there sticking it's tongue out and taunting us! I guess we just gotta keep at it and enjoy the workouts. It's been a heck of a year but well worth it, I even enjoy buying new clothes that fit my new size ;)
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    I've decided to settle for a little bit more padding rather than try to lose the last 10 pounds. I'm 53, 5'4", 120lbs and this is a comfortable spot. I could lose another 10lbs; it would probably help my running times, but I think maintaining that lower weight might be too much effort for me. I'm comfortable here, I don't have to think about my diet much, and frankly thinking about losing weight again makes me want to eat pizza.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    I'm your age but don't have extra weight to lose. I have been every bit of active my whole life as you until the last year or so when I dedicated myself to being a competitive powerlifter and cut out most of the cardio and other sports. So I certainly understand the fueling and hangry if not there on all levels.

If your goal is being as active as you are, then all you can do is try to dial back some of the calorie dense foods and add foods that are slightly lower in calories. Perhaps experimenting with eating a different times might bode well. Sounds like you are fairly in tune what you need but might just need some fine tuning. Maybe try to find what days you can eat just a little less and not effect your performance. It doesn't have to necessarily a every day change, just a average.
  • earlandrew48
    earlandrew48 Posts: 18 Member
    Hey Chiefflrg, thanks. Wow!!! Power lifting at 50. That's another level...good for you. Give me your thoughts on two things.

1) when I mentioned "body fighting because of age". I was referring to the fact that men lose testosterone due to age. And that waist weight we're always fighting off. I've managed pretty good, but I feel I have to work twice as word than a 30 year old. Do you do anything special to preserve testosterone?

2) if you power lift, obviously you DEADLIFT. I'm currently deadlifting 3 x 45lbs plates a side plus bar. Its so grueling and feels like I'm breaking. Almost nothing left after to do another body part. At 50 years old. Should I be bothering with deadlit or heavy deadlift. Should I just do two plates a side x 15 reps. Will I still benefit from that easy way out approach. I know how valuable deaflift is, and don't want to do away with it.

Thanks.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    I'm in the same boat where I have to seek a balance between conflicting priorities which involves compromise.

I'd love to enhance my cycling performance by improving my power to weight ratio and after six solid years of training and currently being 59 improvements in power are glacial so dropping weight would make sense - but I don't like to be smaller than my current weight.
    (I may be misquoting Gerraint Thomas but "legs like a shire horse and upper body of a teenage girl" just doesn't appeal to me.)

I'd like a six pack but don't want to eat less. I also seem to get ridiculously hungry when I get leaner (probably psychological rather than physiological).

I'd like to be stronger but I keep bouncing off injury limits and I simply don't want to hurt every day, hurting every other day is fine. ;)

I'd like to own an Aston Martin DB6 but I don't want to sell my house to do so.

When I'm dropping weight every Spring ahead of my cycling season I do something similar to what @Chieflrg proposes.
    I just nibble off some calories here and there. For example I don't have to worry about fully fuelling moderate training rides (up to 1,000 cals as a rough guide) but on high intensity and/or long duration training sessions it helps performance to be optimally fuelled and be at maintenance that day.
    I skip breakfast when it suits me and eat it when I feel I want or need to - for me it's my easiest time of day to cut back some calories.
    I substitute some of my foods for lower cal options or reduce portion sizes of higher calorie foods.
    It's slow but relatively painless.

5lbs to lose I'd just see as 17,500 cals to chip away at in whatever way suits me and it doesn't impact my hunger and exercise to any intrusive degree.
  • 4LeafMint
    4LeafMint Posts: 65 Member
    Hey Chiefflrg, thanks. Wow!!! Power lifting at 50. That's another level...good for you. Give me your thoughts on two things.

1) when I mentioned "body fighting because of age". I was referring to the fact that men lose testosterone due to age. And that waist weight we're always fighting off. I've managed pretty good, but I feel I have to work twice as word than a 30 year old. Do you do anything special to preserve testosterone?

2) if you power lift, obviously you DEADLIFT. I'm currently deadlifting 3 x 45lbs plates a side plus bar. Its so grueling and feels like I'm breaking. Almost nothing left after to do another body part. At 50 years old. Should I be bothering with deadlit or heavy deadlift. Should I just do two plates a side x 15 reps. Will I still benefit from that easy way out approach. I know how valuable deaflift is, and don't want to do away with it.

Thanks.

Earlandrew - I turn 50 next week. My best lift by far is deadlift. I am strongly considering competing after looking at records I know I can break. But IMHO you should not be hurting on any lifts. I never hurt on my deadlifts...almost never. Lifting with proper form I believe will minimize your pain. If 315 lbs hurts go down on weight and practise your form till you don't even think about it. If you are healthy I think you will find that 315 will be easy pain free once you get your technique down. But I believe you can lift heavy and still be safe with correct form. You should be doing a warm-up and progression with heavier sets till you get to extra heavy. You should not be maxing out but maybe every two months...if ever. Also I have a deadlift day and don't workout my chest, squats on the same day. Nice to know there are other 50ties still lifting the big 3... Bench, squat, deadlift.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    I'm taking it easier right now as I've had the worst injury I've sustained since getting serious about Indoor Rowing. I find if my macros are off, I'm famished all the time. I can eat carbs all night long and not feel full.

I lost around five pounds last month from a Cross Country move and when I got back into serious training, I was really fatigued a lot more than normal. If I ensure I eat a ton of protein (not easy because I eat a lot of plant based) and calories after my workout, I'm better in the PM and not cramming either carbs or nut butters in my pie hole like there's no tomorrow. To keep weight off, I don't eat in the AM and workout fasted. I've found I'm really not that hungry in the AM and it doesn't really affect my workouts that much now that I'm adjusted to it. I eat a huge amount after my workout. The more the better till full if it's decent food. That actually keeps me from eating as much at night.

Some Protein Powder (vegan for me) before bed a lot of nights helps me a lot too.

As for performance, mine's terrible right now (the back recovery) but most I know over 50 (I'm 55 this year) do as well as they tolerate training. Some tolerate harder training better. Many better than I do. I've reached a level of around 7 hours a week and 2 days hard. Any more than that and I usually end up sick or injured. I know guys that go 10 to 15 hours hard older than me. The difference is most of those guys didn't take 2 decades off getting fat and out of shape like I did!
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    59 here, and I've gotten pretty comfortable with a 4 day push-pull routine, 2 days push and 2 pull. There's not a huge variety as I have a couple of things to work around, but each workout is 30-45 minutes, and I get 3 days to rest, do active recovery, cardio or what have you.

I'm at about my maintenance weight and have been working on fine tuning my diet (read that as 'keeping myself honest lol) and getting plenty of rest.

It's working. I'm not gaining any mass, but I am strengthening what I have, and have loads of energy left over.

One of my biggest hurdles (admitted with a little embarrassment) was simply getting past that stupid number. I mean...why slow down unless injury/illness dictates it? Age isn't a license to stop for me any more.

Don't know if that helps you at all, but best of luck. Keep working like you're 35, until you can't. :)
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    I suppose it can be done but the honey riding shotgun doesn't want another honey sitting next to her. Pick your honeys wisely and enjoy your youth.

My honey also hates it when I try to invite more than one other honey into the front seat with us, lol. My wife has said that when I've tried to lean out further while in a heavy build period, I"m a mess. No energy, complaining of soreness, I only want to sleep, etcetera.

@Jthan - regarding your question: The only time I was able to accomplish a significant weight loss (12lbs) during a rigorous 7 day training regimen was in 2017 in prep for a 70.3 distance race. To do so, I enlisted the help of a registered dietician who consulted with my tri coach during the build.

As you know, its a balancing act. Here's what we did: The RD came up with a nutrition plan that created a mild deficit for me based on an assumed "standard" weekly training load derived from a 3 month snapshot of my calorie expenditure taken from training peaks. (I think his recommended daily cals were around 2550). This data was taken from a winter base building period when my cardio volume was modest. (8-9 hrs/week).

Then, to provide enough energy for the longer sessions on weekends, my coach had me increase my pre-workout and intra-workout fueling to be sure I didn't bonk on the Saturday long ride&runs or Sunday swim&runs.

This required daily monitoring/communication & tweaking for awhile until we found out where I really needed more calories. When I reached the peak training weeks, we upped my calories measurably. As I mentioned above, it wasn't always pretty. The good news was that my increased leanness really paid off in terms of increased run speed.

Next time around, I'll focus on getting lean before returning to a performance focus.

• earlandrew48
    earlandrew48 Posts: 18 Member
    Thanks 4Leafmint. I'm still trying to get over the first lift. You know....when you can hardly breath. After that the second , third and so on gets easier. I find deadlift exhausting, but understand it should be. I'll take your advise. Start with comfortable and work up. Maybe give deadlift it's own day and do dips the same day, and call that a day. Thanks.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member

Thanks.
    1. I don't know a great deal about hypogonadism at the moment though it is obviously a concern for our age and above. I don't presentlyconcern myself with T levels or am I consciously actively trying to increase my levels other than training and having a active sex life.

I do know its nearly impossible to interpret the significance of a “low” result if no symptoms are discovered. What is a actual "low result" is debatable since there are so many variables.

Here is quite a lengthy discussion from two doctors who give a ton of info on the subject. I have yet to watch either of part 1 or 2 as of yet. Though I've yet to be disappointed in their content and both are decent guys as well.

https://youtu.be/YDuMGoK-1JA

2. I would point to your load management, possibly frequency, and programming in general. Meaning sounds like more than likely your intensity is too high for the volume you want to recover from. Without knowing your programming and training history, its hard to say what is the best approach.

I will say the weight should be challenging but not grueling or the sensation of breaking. At least not on a regular basis.

You probably would benefit from training that is RPE based that has auto regulation.

• MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Phirrgus wrote: »
    59 here, and I've gotten pretty comfortable with a 4 day push-pull routine, 2 days push and 2 pull. There's not a huge variety as I have a couple of things to work around, but each workout is 30-45 minutes, and I get 3 days to rest, do active recovery, cardio or what have you.

There are guys in the rowing community that I know that swear by this. I do way too much pulling and not enough pushing with all the Concept2 work that I do. I'd like to buy a SkiErg machine before this year is out and work it into my days. It's the perfect compliment to rowing. You're pulling down from above instead of pulling to your body. Very complimentary to the rower.

I've always noticed when I'm working one dimensional my shoulders especially seem to get injured more. Moreso as I age. I used to do a ton of benching and not enough pulling. Now that rowing is my exercise of choice, I actually need to balance out more with more chest work versus back (which is over developed now).

• Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Phirrgus wrote: »

There are guys in the rowing community that I know that swear by this. I do way too much pulling and not enough pushing with all the Concept2 work that I do. I'd like to buy a SkiErg machine before this year is out and work it into my days. It's the perfect compliment to rowing. You're pulling down from above instead of pulling to your body. Very complimentary to the rower.

I've always noticed when I'm working one dimensional my shoulders especially seem to get injured more. Moreso as I age. I used to do a ton of benching and not enough pulling. Now that rowing is my exercise of choice, I actually need to balance out more with more chest work versus back (which is over developed now).

@MikePfirrman - balancing my volume has been an eye opener for me recently. The app I track with (fitnotes) can analyze volume for any given workout and my Pulls have only been about 50% of my push volumes, so through added weight and reps I've brought them more into alignment. Everything I've read suggests that imbalance could be what's been holding me back.

This mornings pull was one of the 'best' workouts I've had for ages on the pull side. :)

I hope you're able to square yours away too. :)
  • jlklem
    jlklem Posts: 259 Member
    Just got my VO2 tested in a unversity lab as well as body fat. 5.5% body fat at 5 feet 6 inches, 128.5 pounds. VO2 max of 73.

49 years old. Best shape of my life. I tested on the bike as I am a pure cyclist. I love riding my bike.

Tested in 2014 and VO2 was 68...
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    jlklem wrote: »
    VO2 max of 73.

Garmin estimates mine at 44 and says that my "Fitness Age" is 26 year old. What does that make you, a newborn?

Anyway, way to go! You must be an animal on the bike!
  • jlklem
    jlklem Posts: 259 Member
    My Garmin also put me at 73...

And my Strava name is the “Angry Minnow”. Pretty fitting actually. An animal but not to impressive but incredibly stubborn.

John