Calorie adjustment when connecting MFP with fitbit

bethhhhhhhs
bethhhhhhhs Posts: 1 Member
Hiya!
I’m a little confused with the whole calorie adjustment feature when I connect my Fitbit to MyFitnessPal app.
Is the number displayed my expected calorie intake? It seems considerably high especially noting the lack of exercise I’ve been doing recently.
Any help is appreciated, Thankyou ! :))
(I added an image for clarity but I’m not sure if the link works!)

03c7dni78kod.jpeg

Replies

• Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    This means that according to the activity level you chose for yourself on MFP, MFP expects that you will burn a total of 2372 calories today without any additional exercise. Fitbit expects you to burn 2399 calories today based on your stats and how much you've moved today thus far.

As you can see, the two values are fairly close, so your calorie adjustment for the day is 0, meaning you don't earn back any additional calories to consume for the day. If the adjustment were positive, it would mean that according to Fitbit, you've exceeded the activity level you've set on MFP and you'd be given extra calories to eat for the day. If the adjustment were negative, it would mean that you did not meet the activity level you set on MFP for the day, so you are given less calories to eat for that day.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    In fact, here are my own stats. I'm 5'3" and 109 pounds. My calorie goal is for maintenance and not set at a deficit.

I set myself as sedentary on MFP even though I know I'm not and I let my Fitbit make all the calorie adjustments. Before I synced my Fitbit just now, this is what I had:

mezo0o31yriy.png

I have passed MFP's sedentary baseline, so I have been given a positive adjustment and would be allowed to eat 163 extra calories today. However, I have moved around a lot more since the last MFP sync, so here's my new stats:

y6gw1vf8yead.png

I am so far past the sedentary baseline that I can eat an extra 641 calories today now to maintain my weight.

If it helps, I've been using my Fitbit for years, so I know the data is accurate.

• Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    @Maxematics - Hi, I cannot for the life of me find that screen you're showing. Would you mind helping out?

• Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Ah, that was too easy! Thank you!
  • Tankiscool
    Tankiscool Posts: 11,105 Member
    Couldn't have explained it better than @Maxematics !