Starting runners:lets motivate each others

Replies

• Shepeess
    Shepeess Posts: 17 Member
    Well done on first 5k... keep going and I hope u do many more!
  • smcurtis1981
    smcurtis1981 Posts: 53 Member
    edited May 2019
    I started running again in October last year but have made zero progress apart from transitioning from treadmill to road running. Lack of consistency and piriformis syndrome have really hampered me but I’m still plugging away at it. I can manage 5kms of walk /run at a 8:35 min/km pace.
    Summer was a real challenge for me to, I live in tropical far North Queensland of Australia so even before sunrise it can be 29°C and 90% humidity.
  • DeeMyFitPal
    DeeMyFitPal Posts: 4 Member
    I’m a new runner! I just finished week 5 of C25K. Today was the hardest day so far by a lot but I’m really enjoying getting outside for a half hour every other day.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    I’m a new runner! I just finished week 5 of C25K. Today was the hardest day so far by a lot but I’m really enjoying getting outside for a half hour every other day.
    Week 5 run 3 is where it gets real. How’d it go?
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,329 Member
    edited May 2019
    Oh yes, I remember week 5! Congratulations!

I spent the last two days working like crazy and all of today travelling to the tiny kind of but not really country of Åland. What a long travel, with three separate flights. Once I arrived I only wanted to fall on my bed, but had to do groceries. I combined that with a very, very short 1km run. Hardly worth it, but oh so difficult in the cold air and after all the sitting. But managed to finish it. Still coughing though.

edit: as travelling is my hobby I try to do certain things when travelling. I just realized I so far ran in 14 countries. Most runs in the UK, followed by Qatar where I first started running. Netherlands, my current home are catching up very slowly. Most interesting runs: Iran and Svalbart <3
  • Silent_Soliloquy
    Silent_Soliloquy Posts: 237 Member
    Im a "new" runner... ive been running since mid january ... but something always sets me back. I have done one official race.

Always looking for good friends ... im a pretty solid cheerleader.
  • bellebelle2014
    bellebelle2014 Posts: 2 Member
    yirara wrote: »
    Yay, my second 5k, and by doing so I managed to shave 2.5 minutes off the time of the first. 41:08.. won't get me anything but an honorable last place at a 5k race, but that doesn't matter. I run, and I enjoy it.

Congrats!!!
    I remember sitting on the bus to my very first half marathon. I was terrified!!
    A man sitting near me told me that there are about 10% competers and 90% completers on the bus. Just completing any race of any distance is a success! I needed him at that moment.... I am a completer and proud of it!!
  • Fishingflowers56
    Fishingflowers56 Posts: 2 Member
    Start running in the morning after a yearlong break, due to health issues! It’s not going to be easy, but rewards never are!! My health issues have not been resolved, but my determination has soared. I’m ready to get back in shape, and eat more healthy! PS: I’ve found this app a little difficult to maneuver...
  • Silent_Soliloquy
    I signed up for a 5k on may 18th.

And got actual running shoes. While i was there the girl at the store said "if you care about your time, dont do the vineyard run. The terrain is brutal with roots and rocks. "

Well I'll go and have fun and enjoy some wine after at the vineyard.
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Welcome to everyone! I came down with some stomach bug that has keep me from my scheduled 3-4 weekly running, but I believe I'm almost over the sickness so I'll be back at it tomorrow or Saturday. Only good thing is I did drop 2lbs from the sickness. Gotta look at the glass half full right?! :D
  • 2BThinAgain5
    2BThinAgain5 Posts: 30 Member
    I'm starting couch to 5K this week (for the umpteenth time :neutral: ) Please feel free to add me - need motivation and support!
  • bobshuckleberry
    bobshuckleberry Posts: 281 Member
    I am so not a runner! I keep having these thoughts that I am going to start. I like how folks are saying they only ran a mile or two miles without stopping and I am over here like, 'woohoo I made it 200 meters without stopping'. Now that it is getting warmer I may start a program again. I did couch to five k once. I never did run a full five k. Maybe I am running challenged!
  • MidwestAndHappy
    MidwestAndHappy Posts: 28 Member
    I used to run an hour a day in HS but that was over 10 years ago. I just finished grad school and looking to start running again. I signed up for a half at the end of September, just looking to complete it! I've done two others, when I was in much better shape, so just looking to take it slow and steady and not get injured!
  • Silent_Soliloquy
    edited May 2019
    I ran a 10k yesterday. Was supposed to be my steady distance day, but i got this concept in my head of sprinting and efficiency... and decided to try three building speed drills.

I got up to 2:50/km ... which is a 4:32 mile so i was super stoked:
    s5dggrybdgpy.jpg

Pace graph shown:
    23vfzmkps0du.jpg

Granted i held it for like 20 seconds, but it felt good, and i went right back to running normal with no need for rest.. even pulling off a 4:19 for ny 8th kilometer.

tohap6kautgi.jpg

I felt very much in the zone.
  • lybarni
    lybarni Posts: 48 Member
    Hi all! Boy I’ve been searching this community for awhile for a group exactly like this! I’m a brand spanking new runner! I’m 51 and just started a program called From Fat To Finish Line. It trains you to run a mile by doing intervals. I
    Just finished my first week I did 30 seconds of running(really jogging for me)/90 seconds of walking x 10. I did it! 3x’s last week! Now onto week 2 where I run for a full minute and walk 90 seconds x8. I’m trying not to let my head get in the way of worrying whether I can really run for a whole minute. But, I’m proud I completed week 1. My end goal is to run a 5k in the fall. So I’m looking for some motivation, support, accountability anything you guys can give! Hope you’re still accepting new members!! My name is Linda by the way! Happy Monday!
  • yirara
    lybarni wrote: »
    Hi all! Boy I’ve been searching this community for awhile for a group exactly like this! I’m a brand spanking new runner! I’m 51 and just started a program called From Fat To Finish Line. It trains you to run a mile by doing intervals. I
    Just finished my first week I did 30 seconds of running(really jogging for me)/90 seconds of walking x 10. I did it! 3x’s last week! Now onto week 2 where I run for a full minute and walk 90 seconds x8. I’m trying not to let my head get in the way of worrying whether I can really run for a whole minute. But, I’m proud I completed week 1. My end goal is to run a 5k in the fall. So I’m looking for some motivation, support, accountability anything you guys can give! Hope you’re still accepting new members!! My name is Linda by the way! Happy Monday!

Hi Linda and welcome here. Please do write along here. Everyone is welcome, regardless of fast or superslow. Hey, I'm a tortoise running, thus I could not possibly exclude anyone. <3
  • yirara
    Came back from vacation in the night from Sunday to Monday and was too tired to run yesterday evening. Today I went out again and managed 5.5 very slow km. But hey, I managed to run for 49 minutes without having to walk!

Curious what happens if someone has the opposite of PoTs? Here you go: I got tired just over 4km, ran into the wind and my bloodpressure together with my heartrate dropped below of what I needed for comfortable running. Managed to get my HR up for short moment whenever I was running somewhat downhill (there's literally no terrain) or out of the wind, and it dropped again when the path went every so slightly up or I went into the wind. *sigh* Still enjoyed this run :)

uc6hyhkvwwfo.png
  • Shepeess
    Shepeess Posts: 17 Member
    I keep getting home after cycling back from work wanting to go for jog ... and then feel too tired. So instead I eat which isn’t great really...When you u go out to run? I want to get with the programme.;)