One piece tried suit - comfort?

2»

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    aokoye wrote: »
    Haven't been able to find one locally, or even bibs without padding. :disappointed:

Rapha says they do free repairs, I wonder if I can cut the padding out a then have them repaired without it.

There's a no name speed suit on Amazon that says it can be made without padding, but it's vague *kitten* how to get one.

I didn't realize this would be so difficult. I assumed the ones people run and swim in would be normal.

Is there a reason why you don't want the chamois? I mean I know you can ride without it, but do you actively prefer not to have shorts without one? If so then I would just cut it out of any existing bibshort - though I wouldn't count on Rapha repairing any damage in that case if you ended up getting a Rapha bib.

I've never used one, and I don't want to change something that works. I've heard people complain about having the wrong one, it seems like there's potential for bunching, chaffing, holding moisture...

I don't think it would be fair to return one after using it, I know getting a cheap one will probably not work out and turn me off to the whole idea, and I don't want to spend a bunch on something that has a lot of potential to not be right.

Folks at the Rapha store suggested actual wrestling bibs. He assured me no one would notice if I also got a stylish and understated top. :wink:
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    What about looking at swim-specific stuff. Do they have 1-piece speed suits that aren't speedos?
  • jjpptt2
    Let's take a step back...

What are you looking for, and why? What are you trying to accomplish? More speed? More comfort? Both? Neither?

I think it's important to stay focused because you're clearly in a place where it ain't broke, so let's make sure we are fixing the right thing.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    What about looking at swim-specific stuff. Do they have 1-piece speed suits that aren't speedos?

There use to be a number but it looks like at least as of 2017 FINA has banned suits that come above the navel for men in pool competitions, as opposed to open water. That said, a. the type of swimsuit you're talking about/that looks similar to a speed or skin suit for cycling would be hard to justify in terms of cost, would restrict a fair amount of movement if it was the right size, and would probably wear very very quickly.
  • aokoye
    Haven't been able to find one locally, or even bibs without padding. :disappointed:

Rapha says they do free repairs, I wonder if I can cut the padding out a then have them repaired without it.

There's a no name speed suit on Amazon that says it can be made without padding, but it's vague *kitten* how to get one.

I didn't realize this would be so difficult. I assumed the ones people run and swim in would be normal.

Is there a reason why you don't want the chamois? I mean I know you can ride without it, but do you actively prefer not to have shorts without one? If so then I would just cut it out of any existing bibshort - though I wouldn't count on Rapha repairing any damage in that case if you ended up getting a Rapha bib.

I've never used one, and I don't want to change something that works. I've heard people complain about having the wrong one, it seems like there's potential for bunching, chaffing, holding moisture...

I don't think it would be fair to return one after using it, I know getting a cheap one will probably not work out and turn me off to the whole idea, and I don't want to spend a bunch on something that has a lot of potential to not be right.

Folks at the Rapha store suggested actual wrestling bibs. He assured me no one would notice if I also got a stylish and understated top. :wink:

Wrestling bibs aren't a terrible idea. Another idea would be to wait for one of the five billion REI member sales and buy one then (assuming you're a member) just to see if you like it.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    I don’t know if a wrestling bib would have the right cut for cycling. Cycling clothes tend to be linger in the back and shorter on the front for best performance and comfort on bike. Something to keep in mind.
  • NorthCascades
    Question: what's a one piece tri suit like in the heat?
  • NorthCascades

What are you looking for, and why? What are you trying to accomplish? More speed? More comfort? Both? Neither?

I think it's important to stay focused because you're clearly in a place where it ain't broke, so let's make sure we are fixing the right thing.

You know, sometimes I go down the rabbit hole. Thanks for tossing me a rope. :smile:

My friend Mary and I are pretty similar in some ways, and she thinks I'll find a single piece more comfortable. I trust her, we've talked about "you know that moment when" a lot, we hike together and that means long drives.

Comfort is the #1 thing. Not doing plumber crack is #2, my fit is a little different this spring. Speed is a welcome #3, but not why I want to give this a try. I might wear it swimming in lakes when the water is cold?

Found a run/swim suit with no padding, but it's expensive.

I think I'll get a very cheap no name one from Amazon, cut the pad out so it's apples to apples, and try the concept out. If I like it, I can decide what to do.
  • jjpptt2
    Question: what's a one piece tri suit like in the heat?

Same as a cycling jersey
  • jjpptt2

You know, sometimes I go down the rabbit hole. Thanks for tossing me a rope. :smile:

My friend Mary and I are pretty similar in some ways, and she thinks I'll find a single piece more comfortable. I trust her, we've talked about "you know that moment when" a lot, we hike together and that means long drives.

Comfort is the #1 thing. Not doing plumber crack is #2, my fit is a little different this spring. Speed is a welcome #3, but not why I want to give this a try. I might wear it swimming in lakes when the water is cold?

Found a run/swim suit with no padding, but it's expensive.

I think I'll get a very cheap no name one from Amazon, cut the pad out so it's apples to apples, and try the concept out. If I like it, I can decide what to do.

How tall are you... What size do you typically wear? I've got a few tri suits I don't wear....I could send you one to try out. Mine are probably all mediums.

But I really think bibs would be the way to go.
  • aokoye

Wrestling bibs aren't a terrible idea. Another idea would be to wait for one of the five billion REI member sales and buy one then (assuming you're a member) just to see if you like it.

And like clock work: REI Anniversary Sale
  • NorthCascades
    I ordered a cheap kit from Amazon, $27 for bibs and a jersey. It'll be here tomorrow. I probably won't get to try it until Monday. That's a fair price to pay for knowledge. I know the quality will be terrible, but I can set what I think of the concept. Thanks everyone! :smile:
  • NorthCascades

And like clock work: REI Anniversary Sale

Oh REI, how I love thee. Anyways ready to take my money! :sweat_smile:
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    I ordered a cheap kit from Amazon, $27 for bibs and a jersey. It'll be here tomorrow. I probably won't get to try it until Monday. That's a fair price to pay for knowledge. I know the quality will be terrible, but I can set what I think of the concept. Thanks everyone! :smile:

Let us know your conclusions!
  • NorthCascades
    The first kit arrived two days ago. The fabric is higher quality than I expected ($27 for both parts) but the sizing is crazy, the bibs are too tight and the jersey too loose. I put the bibs on Craigslist for free, but can use the jersey on hot days, the fabric is thin and almost mesh.

I bought another set of bibs, much better fit, lesser quality fabric. No plumber crack when I get into the drops.

I've got a nice jersey coming today, for the heat. It's been summer for a month. Jersey is out for delivery and it's the first rain since anyone can remember.