How do you destress?

Replies

• BeezBeez
    BeezBeez Posts: 41 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    If it isn't working because you can't make it vigorous enough to de-stress, then working on technique will help with that. Most people at most gyms, where I usually see Concept 2 machines, are doing it quite ineffectively. (Even many trainers have poor technique.) Usually, these people have the damper set on 10 (it's not resistance, folks!), and are flying up and down the slide hitting over 30 strokes per minute, raising and lower their hands midstroke so they don't collide with their knees, and generally not getting much power into the flywheel. (On the water rowing is more fun, BTW, but really requires lessons for the sliding-seat type.)

Thanks. I actually really love the rowing machine! I've been using it on and off for about a year now, but am just recently using it consistently enough that I'm starting to see significant improvement. I think the issue is more that I'm not quite strong enough yet to feel like I can row "hard" and keep my form good enough that I won't injure myself. I'm getting there, and I hope that if I stick with it it can completely take the place of running for me. I just really miss the ability to put my shoes on and take off out the door to burn off a bad mood. It'll take some adjustment. Your posts on some of the other boards have really made me want to stick with this rowing thing, though, so thank you!
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,048 Member
    BeezBeez wrote: »
    exhilen wrote: »
    Due to the pain, you could do something like yoga until it clears up.

I do love yoga! But despite everyone touting it as a stress-buster, it just doesn't do it for me.

Dogs! Dogs! Dogs! Always true. 😀

Totally agree about the dog, but back to yoga... I was doing a 12min routine 4x/wk for almost a year before I started feeling the calming effects. If I had a longer routine or did it more often, maybe I would have reached that point sooner. The allure of a short routine to me, however, is it's harder to make excuses. It's easier to fit it into my evening. I enjoy it more when listening to a spotify "chill:yoga & meditation" playlist. Maybe find some music that holds your interest and give yoga another chance?
  • ChrisCatMama
    ChrisCatMama Posts: 1,038 Member
    Been there with the plantar fasciitis recently.
    Listening to music- even if it means dancing while sitting helps. Or doing my nails and experimenting with nail art. Do you have any hobbies like doing crafts?
    Everyone else is saying dogs but we have a cat. Playing with her on the floor is also a great stress reliever. 😸
  • BeezBeez
    BeezBeez Posts: 41 Member
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    BeezBeez wrote: »
    exhilen wrote: »
    Due to the pain, you could do something like yoga until it clears up.

I do love yoga! But despite everyone touting it as a stress-buster, it just doesn't do it for me.

Dogs! Dogs! Dogs! Always true. 😀

Totally agree about the dog, but back to yoga... I was doing a 12min routine 4x/wk for almost a year before I started feeling the calming effects. If I had a longer routine or did it more often, maybe I would have reached that point sooner. The allure of a short routine to me, however, is it's harder to make excuses. It's easier to fit it into my evening. I enjoy it more when listening to a spotify "chill:yoga & meditation" playlist. Maybe find some music that holds your interest and give yoga another chance?

I've spent years doing hour-long yoga routines. I enjoy it and find it helpful in many, many other ways, but it just doesn't help that wound-up, stressed-out feeling for me no matter how much other people insist that it will.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Call of Duty Blackout
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    Get some "action"
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    I know you can't run ATM bc if the plantar fasciitis, but if you are able to take a long slow walk, I find walking outside when the weather is nice to be a good stress relief for me. I also have good luck with using a fast flow yoga as a stress relief (again if your current physical situation allows).
    My dog is also pretty helpful with destressing. She's always happy to see me and gives lots of kisses and is pretty comical with her constant running around in circles. She just makes it difficult to hold on to the stress.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,983 Member
    I was having an especially stressful day where the stress from that day PLUS all the built up stress was coming to a head, and I really, really wanted to just indulge in something "bad."

So, that was my dinner - chips and dip. Not healthy, not great for me, but by today I was ready to go back to tackling things and work on dealing with things so my stress could be less.

I don't recommend that regularly, but once in a blue moon? Not horrible.

My normal stress relief is going out for a motorcycle ride or if it's a lower stress level, a glass of wine and a good book curled up in a blanket with some candles going is pretty relaxing for me.
  • JohnnytotheB
    JohnnytotheB Posts: 361 Member
    Garden. Getting your hands in the dirt is very calming.
  • Murrayzaida
    Murrayzaida Posts: 12 Member
    Are you able to swim? I have found swimming, with the mindless :-) counting breaths and lengths very calming.
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,902 Member
    edited May 2019
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Call of Duty Blackout

Whoever woo'd this must be a Fortnite player.

@Carlos_421 I actually laughed out loud. I'm not an FPS player except for Doom, but I figured recommending Dark Souls and Sekiro probably wouldn't do much for relieving stress :D

edit: OP I've learned somewhat to ask myself just how important is it and what I can do about it right now. It's not hugely popular these days but prayer and meditation, time away fishing hiking, a good book and/or a hot shower or bath...all do wonders for me.
  • emmies_123
    emmies_123 Posts: 513 Member
    video games. I always try to pick something that takes just enough brain power to distract me, without needing so much that I could cause further frustration or screw up progress for lack of concentration.

For me, the perfect games are offered on BigFish games, doesn't matter what genre. Complete a few levels in Diner Dash style, match some puzzles, etc.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Phirrgus wrote: »
    Call of Duty Blackout

Whoever woo'd this must be a Fortnite player.

@Carlos_421 I actually laughed out loud. I'm not an FPS player except for Doom, but I figured recommending Dark Souls and Sekiro probably wouldn't do much for relieving stress :D

edit: OP I've learned somewhat to ask myself just how important is it and what I can do about it right now. It's not hugely popular these days but prayer and meditation, time away fishing hiking, a good book and/or a hot shower or bath...all do wonders for me.

The bolded are all great in my book, as well.
    Aside from lifting (honestly a great stress reliever for me), I also enjoy just walking the dog, watching my bird feeders and I have something like 14 fish tanks that I enjoy watching and working on (I've converted my garage to a fish room/man cave).
  • 51caTlaDy
    51caTlaDy Posts: 18 Member
    I use the Overdrive app and my library card and listen to books on tape. I had a parent who read to me and I find this comforting.
  • aloelabs
    aloelabs Posts: 2 Member
    I second YOGA!! For stress and relaxation, I turn to restorative Yoga. (No standing poses)