Girls Only but if you want to answer that's fine too

Replies

• ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    I work out as usual with my period. If I have cramps that are really bothersome, I take ibuprofen. Working out usually helps my cramps.

There is research to suggest the hormone profile during the first week of your cycle (when you are on your period) is optimal for lifting heavy, so I never miss the chance to train during that week.

I use a menstrual cup, flow is never a problem. I did have some leaking issues but finding a better fitting cup solved that.

I used to have really bad cramps, like in bed with a heating blanket unable to function. Then I had kids. Something about it seemed to really help, I've had nothing but mild cramps since.
  • cayenne_007
    cayenne_007 Posts: 668 Member
    I find that once I get moving, I feel better.... there's days it's just rough being a girl. Advil & plenty of water generally get me thru it. I don't modify my daily routine.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    I work out with my period. If it's in full Texas Chainsaw Massacre mode I will just do a brisk walk instead of lift, and I definitely don't do leg days on the heaviest days, i'll stick to upper body.

I don't get cramps anymore and found that working out helped in that aspect - as in - I USED to have cramps, but the longer I have worked out the less the cramps got. Occasionally I might get a bit uncomfortable in the lower back, but that's about it.

• vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    Um...so I haven't worked out in...i think 2 days because my thighs were hurting badly. And I was going to work out tonight, but my menstrual cycle started. So how do you still work out when the menstrual cycle starts with all the cramping and stuff?

The first day of my period is when I feel dizzy, I find that being active actually helps the cramps but because I feel so dizzy I just can’t. I don’t stress about it. After the first day I’m ok.
  • whoami67
    whoami67 Posts: 297 Member
    I'd skip the workout for a day or two. I always found exercise made cramps and other symptoms much worse and sometimes I'd end up fainting. Also, I was always so hot with such sticky skin the first day of my period, the thought of adding sweat to that was just horrifying.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    When I did get periods, I think the only time I didn't workout was when the cramps were bad enough that I also couldn't go to school. Working out consisted of rock climbing 3 or 4 days a week, so 8 plus hours of exercise a week. I certainly didn't enjoy it, but I, enjoyed nothing relating to doing anything (existing included) while having my period. Needless to say, you have my sympathy.
  • sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,708 MFP Moderator
    Dear posters,

Although the OP chose the word "girls" in the thread title, please try to stay on topic with the question at hand and not get hung up on one word.

As best I can tell, OP chose the title to hint to the guys that the thread might contain TMI they didn't want to read, not to cause a stir. ;)

Thanks for your cooperation! :flowerforyou:
    Sugar
    MFP Moderator
  • HollyPFlax
    HollyPFlax Posts: 79 Member
    I find that when my cramps are bad, it's very difficult to get to the gym to lift, get outside in my running clothes, or get up to the barn to ride. But once I begin my activity, the cramps disappear. I think it's partly ignoring the pain to focus on something else and partly using my core muscles to loosen the cramping. So it depends on what works for you, but I always make myself do my regularly scheduled workout. It always helps me.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    I can workout through cramps no problem! It is the flow that might stop me. I have just had surgery to hopefully reduce that and make me more “normal” and then I am hoping my gym schedule won’t get derailed for a week out of every month. Running and heavy cardio was usually a no go just due to fatigue and whatnot; but lifting is really no problem through cramps and if I happen to have a low flow day. Start small and maybe you will find you get a decent workout in anyway.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    I don't, but I don't do a stop week with my pill for about 3 strips. Thus no problems in general.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Take some Midol and go workout
  • alondrakar
    alondrakar Posts: 67 Member
    I hear it is easier to workout with tampons compared to pads. I only wear pads, so if its the first 1-2 days of my period I opt out of the gym mainly because my training sessions requires a lot of jumping. I don't get cramps, normally.
  • ChrisCatMama
    ChrisCatMama Posts: 1,038 Member
    I work out anyway. Working out usually helps my cramps. If your cramps are really bad (been there before kids) then do what you feel comfortable with. Go walking, or use a recumbent bike.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    alondrakar wrote: »
    I hear it is easier to workout with tampons compared to pads. I only wear pads, so if its the first 1-2 days of my period I opt out of the gym mainly because my training sessions requires a lot of jumping. I don't get cramps, normally.

ugh. that makes it worse for me. tampons make the cramps worse.
  • AutumLeaf
    AutumLeaf Posts: 126 Member
    If the cramping is too bad, please don't be too hard on yourself. Some people say that exercise helps cramps (unfortunately I'm not one of those people lol).
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,552 Member
    I have endometriosis and there's no way I would've been able to exercise the first few days of my period as I was too busy throwing up from pain! These days things are better and I can bike during my period. It seems to help the cramps though sometimes I need IB Profen. Do what feels right for you.
  • KcRavassa
    KcRavassa Posts: 45 Member
    Back when I had a period, I just took it easy and didn't work out. Now I have a Mirena IUD and don't get periods anymore so problem solved!
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    I workout anyway but have had very few times in my life that I had what I would consider to be "bad cramps". I'm not sure how I'd feel if I wasn't so fortunate in that regard.
  • sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    I have very bad cramps, and sometimes I just can't push through them to exercise. Sometimes my cramps are so bad in my back during my period I hurt myself if I try to exercise. It's ok to listen to your body and give it a break! I hear so many people say they "pushed through" for so long and then eventually they crashed so hard. Take a hot bath, do some light stretching, and get back to your normal workouts when you feel better. Doing this also helps keep my perspective in check knowing the pain I can push through and the pain I can't. I say take it month-to-month and day-by-day. You'll be able to quickly start noticing a difference between the days you just really don't want to workout, and the days where your body is asking for rest (period-wise or other).
  • luckywizard
    luckywizard Posts: 71 Member
    I find that gentle cycling is the best activity when I'm crampy as it loosens the muscles up without impact. Walking and lifting can exacerbate the feelings of discomfort for me. Using a menstrual cup makes a world of difference for me when it comes to workouts, but you have to find one that works for your anatomy and flow.