Calling all bibliophiles!

Replies

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    i only listen to audiobooks. i just don't have much time for a physical book. my job lets me listen to an audiobook most days.
    currently listening to the "in death" series by jd robb.
    i like crime mysteries like darby mccormick, tess gerristen, iris johansen.
    listen to all of the dresden files i could find.
    dean koontz
    xanth novels
    next up is most of nancy drew
  • Eddie_Ice
    Eddie_Ice Posts: 115 Member
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    i only listen to audiobooks. i just don't have much time for a physical book. my job lets me listen to an audiobook most days.
    currently listening to the "in death" series by jd robb.
    i like crime mysteries like darby mccormick, tess gerristen, iris johansen.
    listen to all of the dresden files i could find.
    dean koontz
    xanth novels
    next up is most of nancy drew

I picked up a random "In Death" book I think it was "dark" about a young woman going to the cinema. I found it quite entertaining. I keep meaning to go back to the beginning and read them all but my "to read" list is never ending lol.
  • InspectorRed
    InspectorRed Posts: 757 Member
    I haven't read a novel in probably 2 years :s

I used to read all the time, The Stand by Stephen King is still my all time favorite book, but for some reason I just don't seem to have the patience/attention span to stick with a book anymore.

I do enjoy short stories too though, I've read most of the Stephen King short story anthologies and many other horror story anthologies that I've come across.

OP, I read Handmaid's Tale many, many years ago, well before the TV series, and it is still probably in my top ten favorites (even though politically I probably could not be farther from Margaret Atwood's beliefs). I've read 2 other Atwood novels and they were OK, but not near as good as the Handmaid's Tale.
  • Reckoner67
    Reckoner67 Posts: 3,344 Member

I used to read all the time, The Stand by Stephen King is still my all time favorite book, but for some reason I just don't seem to have the patience/attention span to stick with a book anymore.

I do enjoy short stories too though, I've read most of the Stephen King short story anthologies and many other horror story anthologies that I've come across.

OP, I read Handmaid's Tale many, many years ago, well before the TV series, and it is still probably in my top ten favorites (even though politically I probably could not be farther from Margaret Atwood's beliefs). I've read 2 other Atwood novels and they were OK, but not near as good as the Handmaid's Tale.

You ever read any of the "Uncommon" series of anthologies? I think the last one was Uncommon Evil, which was pretty horror-slanted
  • InspectorRed
    InspectorRed Posts: 757 Member
    Reckoner67 wrote: »

You ever read any of the "Uncommon" series of anthologies? I think the last one was Uncommon Evil, which was pretty horror-slanted

I haven't read them, but looks like something I would enjoy....Thank you!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    A book I have to recommend is The Sound of Gravel by Ruth Wariner. Crazy yet good.
  • Reckoner67
    Reckoner67 Posts: 3,344 Member
    Read the Uncommon anthologies first! Especially Uncommon Minds or Uncommon Evil or Uncommonly good!
  • AutumLeaf
    AutumLeaf Posts: 126 Member
    Tankiscool wrote: »
    I used to read alot, then massive accounting and law textbooks came in college, been out of it for awhile, any recommendations to get me back into it?

Uni kinda killed reading for fun for me too. As I did psychology, we were taught to constantly critique everything. A year after I finished uni I really tried to get back into reading but I just couldn't. But now 2 years later I've managed to get my reading groove back this year :). I think it can be difficult to transition from academic reading to reading for enjoyment.
  • AutumLeaf
    Yay! I LOVE book threads. <3

What are you reading now? Dopesick by Beth Macy. Devastating. :'(

Do you ever like to listen to audiobooks? Sometimes. I like to listen when I'm making the 6+ hour roundtrip to visit my Dad. Any recommendations?

How often do you visit your local library or bookstore? I'm at my local library 3-4 times per week. I know this a 'bibliophile' thread, but libraries are SO much more than books. Support your libraries, ya'll.

Are you one of those people who always says.... the book is way better than the movie!!??!! Nah. I may notice differences, but you (I) can't really compare.

agree <3
    our libraries do artist in residence programs and you can check out raspberry pis and wacom tablets and they have language classes and festivals it’s crazy

Yesssss I completely agree that libraries are much more than just books. It's the only place that's free & everyone is welcome. Probably the only place where homeless people aren't turned away. I'm proud to work in a library :)!
  • AutumLeaf
    Ahhh seeing people respond to this thread makes me happy :)
  • mabearof6
    mabearof6 Posts: 684 Member
    Currently listening to Ill Will by Dan Chaon and The Secrets You Keep by Kate White. I can't seem to find time to sit down and read a physical book anymore.
  • tccroston
    tccroston Posts: 34 Member
    For a quick beach read at the airport, I’ll read anything by Tim Dorsey.

All his mysteries are based in Florida, and the serial killer is the hero! Fun times!
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Eddie_Ice wrote: »
    shaf238 wrote: »
    I used to read frequently and need to make time for that again. My favourite series, for those into the whole fantasy genre, is The Demon Cycle series by Peter V. Brett. It's epic.

My all time favourite is I Am Pilgrim by Terry Hayes (it's a fictional terrorism related story but the storytelling from different viewpoints is brilliant).

The Demon Cycle is amazing! I see you are a man of class lol!
    Mate I loved The Demon Cycle. Especially the first book The Painted Man. It's incredibly well written.
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 972 Member
    edited May 2019
    I read quite a lot - my aim is for 1 book a week. I'm on target so far this year. (I read on my commute, and don't really watch television.)

I tend to read a lot of books at any one time. I'm currently reading:
    • Indra's Pearls by Mumford et al. Mumford won the Fields Medal. I was at a talk he gave on this topic half a lifetime ago - he is a very good speaker. The topic is (broadly) how to use certain types of groups to draw stunning fractals.
    • Quantum Computing Since Democritus by Aaronson. This is a good introduction to the topic. It is slightly heavy going - some paragraphs can take me 15 minutes or so to understand.
    • Three body problem by Liu Cixin. This is sci-fi - it's very well done and the translation from Chinese is good. This will be the next book I finish.
    • Lies Inc by Philip K Dick - I've only just started this. I am a big fan of his, though.
    • A couple of books on Haskell programming

I recently finished the Hyperion series by Simmons. I enjoyed them all a lot, so I will read more of his soon.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    mabearof6 wrote: »
    Currently listening to Ill Will by Dan Chaon and The Secrets You Keep by Kate White. I can't seem to find time to sit down and read a physical book anymore.

OHH!! (I'm way too excited to see someone mention this book)

The ending of Ill Will by Dan Chaon freaked me out so much. Great book!
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    edited August 2019
    I'm listening to "Lock Every Door" by Riley Sager and really enjoying it. (It's reminding me a bit of "Rosemary's Baby" and similar books that I've liked in the past.)

Edited to add: I just decided to Google the author. On his Twitter account, he mentions that "Lock Every Door" was influenced by "Rosemary's Baby".
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,493 Member
    James Carlos Blake is the best author you've never heard of.
  • mokhemisalerato7
    mokhemisalerato7 Posts: 8 Member
    Do u a fav and get "The richest man in Babylon!"
  • mattig89ch
    mattig89ch Posts: 2,648 Member
    Do u a fav and get "The richest man in Babylon!"

Read half of it. Not really impressed tbh. Though it may be that my 1/10 is so tiny, that finding investment oportunities with it is impossible. *shrug* still, it is what it is.

I love listening to audio books in the car, while I drive to and fro. Mostly scifi, some mystery, a tiny bit of fantasy.