Do you drive in your bibs?

NorthCascades
NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
Obviously I mean when you drive to a ride, not as a matter of course!

Replies

• aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Yes, I have no reason not to do so. From what I've seen, it's not especially unusual. Also I really don't enjoy getting dressed and undressed in the car and I have a stronger dislike of doing so in public bathrooms (where they exist).
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,811 Member
    I don't wear bibs, but I do drive in my cycling shorts.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    I don't do bibs either but I arrive to my rides ready to ride, padded bottoms. From what I can tell the guys that do wear bibs also arrive dressed to ride.
  • awinner_au
    awinner_au Posts: 249 Member
    last weekend was the first time since I got back on the bike 18 months ago i had to drive to ride, arrived fully kitted up, except for shoes, gloves and helmet. I do wear a bib, I had to get fuel on the way back too.

Very few riders arrived without their bibs on.
  • wendsg
    wendsg Posts: 655 Member
    Depends. Am I towing my trailer because this ride's far enough out that I can't just leave the morning of and arrive in decent condition? Then no, I'm driving in my sweats that're practically pajama pants and a grungy shirt (and after the ride, showering in the trailer and getting into yet another baggy, comfy outfit).

Not towing? Heck yeah, I'm driving in full kit. Whether it's bibs or cycling shorts, doesn't matter, it's on.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Yes.
  • garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    I drive 30 miles to a group ride once a week. Yes, I wear my kit to drive. I just change shoes when I get there. I usually carry a t-shirt to change into after the ride if I'm really sweaty. I've gone into the supermarket to pick up a couple of food items wearing my bibs too. Nobody cares.
  • aokoye
    I drive 30 miles to a group ride once a week. Yes, I wear my kit to drive. I just change shoes when I get there. I usually carry a t-shirt to change into after the ride if I'm really sweaty. I've gone into the supermarket to pick up a couple of food items wearing my bibs too. Nobody cares.

Agreed. I've gone into the grocery store after rides in my cycling kit and no one has cared. I also have gone into the supermarket wearing the tights I wear for rowing (which are similar to cycling tights but less expensive and with no padding) - no one cares. Or rather, if they care, they don't say anything (which seems the polite thing to do regardless).
  • JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    Yes, I'll drive to a ride in my bibs and have a clean t-shirt to change into for the drive home. If I think I may be making other stops, I'll put on a pair of shorts over top mainly because I like to have normal pockets.
  • Paulie714
    Paulie714 Posts: 7 Member
    Yes arrive ready to ride, change after the ride unless you live close to the ride. Even better is ride your bike to and from the rides.
  • resale3108
    resale3108 Posts: 294 Member
    The more pertinent question is do you put the chamois cream on once you arrive at the start, or before you drive to the start??
  • NorthCascades
    Thanks everyone!

Last weekend traffic was awful and it took 4 hours to get to the start of my ride, normally it's closer to 2.

I never drive in my bike shoes, I feel like one day the cleat will catch the gas or brake pedal. So I'm used to a little futzing at the start and end. Couldn't really see changing in the Starbucks bathroom or behind a tree, sounds like no one else can either!
  • gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    I mountain bike so I don't wear bibs but I wear my padded shorts there. I am hesitant to wear my clipless shoes while I drive too. Unless I am running late for a group ride then I have everything but my shoes and helmet on. :smile:
  • aokoye
    Oh yeah I definitely don't drive in my clipless shoes. I've tried it before and while I didn't get into an accident, it seemed like an accident waiting to happen. I think I actually pulled into a parking lot to take them off because it was really unenjoyable.
  • Vladimirnapkin
    Vladimirnapkin Posts: 299 Member
    I wear the bibs, possibly under sweats if it's chilly, but I usually leave the suspenders off until I am ready to ride.
  • Bocch
    Bocch Posts: 191 Member
    I wear kit with bib to the ride and after. I wear pants or shorts over the bibs before a ride for the pockets
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    edited May 2019
    Yup. Because I prefer to have all of my stuff together the night before, which includes pinning the bib on. I don't remove it until I then get home, largely because it is too much of a pain, and it's not like I'm *ashamed* to show it off.

Edit: Oh... You do not mean racing bibs. Never mind.
  • jlklem
    jlklem Posts: 259 Member
    Only if they are clean, after a ride never! Get one bad saddle sore and you will thing twice about a lot of things...
  • NorthCascades
    I'll be driving to the start of a ride tomorrow, but parking in the middle of nowhere. I'll try driving in them without the suspenders, and bring a change of clothes in case I want to duck behind a tree and change before I drive home.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    I'll be driving to the start of a ride tomorrow, but parking in the middle of nowhere. I'll try driving in them without the suspenders, and bring a change of clothes in case I want to duck behind a tree and change before I drive home.

That's exactly what I do.