Weight loss - no gallbladder

Good afternoon, this is my first post. I had gallbladder surgery about a year ago and have had no problem maintaining my weight, but after many celebrations and trips, I would love to lose 10 lbs. I am female, age 66, but with no gallbladder and would like to hear from others in same situation. I have always done low fat/low calorie, but am very interested in hearing success stories from those who have lost weight with no gallbladder. Is it possible to do high protein/low carb way of eating or should I stick to low fat? Several of my friends have lost a lot of weight eating keto/low carb high protein, but I am nervous about eating this way with no gallbladder. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    I had my gallbladder removed in 2005. It took about 3 years for my system to fully normalize. Now I rarely have any side effects other than occasional poor response to a very high fat restaurant meal (never happens at home). It has never made any difference to my weight, just forced me to adjust my eating habits for a while.
  • OooohToast
    OooohToast Posts: 257 Member
    I had my gallbladder out in about 1997 when I was 25 - it just got the hump, they could'nt work out why. I was grateful to see the little blighter go.

It hasnt impacted my weightloss or gain for that matter :)

I would say that my liver does get a bit grumpy if I am eating too much highly processed foods but am not sure if its connected - milk thistle helps at those times.

• texasredreb
    texasredreb Posts: 541 Member
    I had mine out years ago. I haven't noticed any difference before or after having it out with anything dietary related.
  • ConfidentRaven
    ConfidentRaven Posts: 1,428 Member
    edited May 2019
    I had mine out 26 years ago, and have the occasional issue with high fat meals. I did Keto about a year back and I’ll be honest I was in the bathroom shortly after most meals. My system just didn’t do well with the higher fat content or something, I don’t know. Your experience may be different as I’m sure some people haven’t experienced the same issues and it is possible that I was sensitive to something else in my diet around that time.

I did learn a lot during the time I did Keto, I lasted about a month before I decided that it just wasn’t working out for me. These days I just do CICO and try to find the balance of food types that work for me. Good luck!