Help with reading my scale

Options
tinydeer1
tinydeer1 Posts: 3 Member
Hi! Sorry if this is a silly question but I just want some confirmation if I’m doing this right.
I have a doctor style scale but as it gets pass 23 stone it gets a bit confusing for me.
I’ve attached two pictures. I was wondering if they read as 28stone 11lbs and as 26 stone 3lbs? After the 23 stone mark I take the 0 stone mark as being 24 stone, is that right?
I really hope this makes sense!
Thank you for all your help :)vs6xzk5i5p6q.jpeg
ovpjax58bdac.jpeg

Replies

• ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,253 Member
    Options
    That 0 mark is not at 24 stone - look at how close it is to the 23 mark, compared to the spacing of the other stone markers. It looks closer to 23 stone 9.

While yes, you could take a punt at your weight based on how far the needle has gone round for the 'second' time, what I would mostly take from this is that those scales are not built to be accurate above 23 1/2 stone. So you should take any current readings with a big pinch of salt.

There are scales that can read higher weights, mostly digital ones; if you want an accurate idea of your weight, it might be worth investing twenty quid or so in new scales.
  • tinydeer1
    Options
    Thank you for your reply! I agree, looking at it I was questioning if it was 24 as it was so close to the 23. I just wanted to double check as I was getting myself a bit confused! I can’t afford any new scales at the moment but I think I might save towards getting some :)
  • yuko0407
    yuko0407 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I'd say that reading in kg seems easier. The first photo is 164 kg, the second one is 180 kg. Then, you convert in stone (for exemple https://www.thecalculatorsite.com/conversions/common/kg-to-stones-pounds.php):
    164 kg = 25 st 11.6 lbs
    180 kg = 28 st 4.8 lbs
  • tinydeer1
    Options
    yuko0407 wrote: »
    I'd say that reading in kg seems easier. The first photo is 164 kg, the second one is 180 kg. Then, you convert in stone (for exemple https://www.thecalculatorsite.com/conversions/common/kg-to-stones-pounds.php):
    164 kg = 25 st 11.6 lbs
    180 kg = 28 st 4.8 lbs

Thank you so much! You’ve been so helpful!

• Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    While the scale might not be accurate beyond the first 23st rotation doesn't necessarily mean it's not useful.

As you lose weight the needle will begin to move backwards towards the zero. So while you might not know exactly how much you currently weigh you and won't be 100% certain exactly how much weight has been lost for each movement of the needle, you will be able to see the progress as it occurs and that's by far the most important thing.

Then once the needle is back to the 23st mark you'll be well and truly on your way...

You're actually in a better position than I was when I started. My digital scales only went up to 160kg and for the first week or two of trying to lose weight all I saw when I stepped on the scale was "Err". I had to trust that what I was doing was working even though I had no way of seeing if it was!! But it was a real boost the first time I stepped on and saw the scale actually give me a reading instead of an error. So while my 'official' starting weight is 160kg likely, based on the subsequent losses in the following weeks, it was probably closer to 165kg.