Question for the ladies

fannydavis44
fannydavis44 Posts: 7 Member
I had a hysterectomy 3 weeks ago today and I have been miserable. Hot flashes, cold chills, horrible cramps and no energy. Just wondering how long did it take before you felt normal again?

Replies

• funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    You need more time! Recovery depends on your specific circumstances and procedure, but 3 weeks is very early.

I had mine in November 2017. I didn't have too many hormonal issues (kept ovaries), but did struggle physically. I returned to work after 3 weeks, but shouldn't have. I believe the extra activity extended my recovery. I have always been active (hiker, runner, weights) and wasn't able to run short distances comfortably until May. Even then I had pangs and pains that didn't subside until July.

Be patient and listen to your body!
  • fannydavis44
    fannydavis44 Posts: 7 Member
    I had everything removed and it has been rough. I am up and down all day even when its a chill day cuz I have dogs. I have three incisions and they seem to be taking forever to heal but doc said they look good. I just need to relax and stop trying to force myself to get better. Ur right I just need to give it time. Thank you.
  • Mm2Hh7
    Mm2Hh7 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Feel better!!! 🤗
  • RebelRebel_1383
    RebelRebel_1383 Posts: 9 Member
    I had a hysterectomy 3 weeks ago today and I have been miserable. Hot flashes, cold chills, horrible cramps and no energy. Just wondering how long did it take before you felt normal again?

Was it a total hysterectomy, ovaries etc? I’m thinking if they’ve removed your ovaries then that’s gonna throw you into menopause? Have they given you hormone replacement therapy?

Also, 3 weeks isn’t a long time after such major surgery. You need time, months to fully recover. Eat nutritious food, rest, sleep when you’re tired, keep hydrated and do gentle exercise... walking is best. Be kind to yourself and if you’re lucky enough to have someone who can take care of you, let them x
  • Tracejh
    Tracejh Posts: 144 Member
    I had a total hysterectomy after a cancer scare in 2011. I hate to dissolution you but it took me about 18month -2yrs post op to get my medication right.
    After that I suffered no side effects, no flushes, I have thrown myself into exercise and enjoying family life to worry about anything else.
    You need to give yourself a long period of time to get back to normal. And you’ll get there.
    Look after yourself is the best advise I can give xxx
  • Tracejh
    Tracejh Posts: 144 Member
    And when I say medication, I mean HRT
  • poisonesse
    poisonesse Posts: 527 Member
    I had mine years ago, and your body has just gone through a MAJOR operation... girl, you lost body parts! Took me at least 5-6 weeks to START getting my energy back. And you DEFINITELY don't want to push it, because doing too much too soon causes adhesions, and you do NOT want to go there!!! Major surgery takes months to fully recover from, so give yourself a break, let yourself heal. As for the HRT... I didn't go that route, I went with herbals, and they worked. I still got an occasion night sweat, but nothing I couldn't live with. They took care of the hot flashes, mood swings, headaches. Cramps now... that sounds like you're doing too much, TOO SOON!!! Rest, take it easy, and let your bod do what it has to do. HEAL!