Mentally Healthy Foods

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    glassyo wrote: »
    NovusDies wrote: »
    @carvedtones I imagine many of us have holiday type food memories. Cinnamon rolls are one of mine.

@kam26001 If costo polish dogs float your boat then great.

@raymax4 PB and pickle is an interesting pairing. Was that something your mom or dad did or just a personal preference?

I don't really have any mentally healthy foods that remind me of good times but I *have* tried a pb & pickle sandwich! I read a series of books by Sue Grafton and that's something the main character would eat. It's pretty darned good.

Oh, I tried one of Stephanie Plum's combos...PB and potato chips maybe? I think she also had PB and olives.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,455 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I'm not big on Pizza Hut, but the little snack bar area of my local Target sells these Pizza Hut personal pan pepperoni & cheese pizzas that take me straight back to the 80s and the "Book It!" reading program, where you turned in book reports and eventually got a coupon for a free personal pan pizza. I swear they look and taste identical. Such a good memory.

Yes but unless they have the tabletop arcade game, it just doesn't cut it...

Related note - I also am of the same generation and remember my mom having to get after me to put my book away at the table at Pizza Hut since that's pretty much all I wanted to do was keep reading. It helped that our Pizza Hut was right across the street from the library so we would often go cash in on the summer reading program perks at the library, get new books, go to pizza hut, cash in my book it certificates, and enjoy my personal pan pizza and kick my brother's butt at Ms Pacman and Galaga.

BEST DAYS EVER.

My mom was always trying to get me to put my books down...and one time she actually took a LOTR book away! But we had another set! Heeheehee.

OMG LOTR was the Bible of my teenage years. Our family had a tradition that each of us got our own set on our 10th birthday. I read Hobbit, Fellowship, Two Towers and Return of the King every. Single. Summer.
  • Hilogirl2018
    Hilogirl2018 Posts: 687 Member
    Terytha wrote: »
    I'll post the recipe lol. It takes half a day to do it right but it's fun. 17cr8772r44j.jpg

Please do! I collect such recipes for holidays, and yours looks amazing!
  • gracegettingittogether
    gracegettingittogether Posts: 176 Member
    My mother always made homemade bread, which we toasted for breakfast. I still must have toast in the mornings, even though I don’t often bake bread, along with hot black tea with milk and sugar. My mom drank so much tea, we would make her cups of it throughout the day, “sugar milk tea”. So I make a point of drinking it too and have taught my kids to, as well. My husband has tried to make me vary my breakfast, but I don’t want to, since I feel vaguely disloyal if I do.
  • Hilogirl2018
    Hilogirl2018 Posts: 687 Member
    @Terytha Thank you! I copied it and will be making this with the kids at Christmas.
  • erekstrusinski1989
    erekstrusinski1989 Posts: 42 Member
    edited May 2019
    Polish food, specifically golabki (meat stuffed cabbage rolls) with beet soup and makoweic (sweetened poppyseed pastry). My paternal grandmother made it on family holidays when we would all gather, and now my sister makes it occasionally. I'm not skilled enough in the kitchen to pull it off sadly so I have to hope for it when I visit!

Edit: just read thru some more previous replies and was amazed to see how many people like polish food as a comfort dish! It fills the whole house with the best smell in the world while cooking.
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Edit: just read thru some more previous replies and was amazed to see how many people like polish food as a comfort dish! It fills the whole house with the best smell in the world while cooking.

Yep. I didn't want to be redundant but pierogies with sour cream has been my comfort food since I was a little kid. It was the thing dad made for dinner whenever mom was away. I still make it when I'm down, or missing her.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Bacon, beef, chicken with the skin....
    Fat in the food is good for mental health. The brain needs fat to function properly.
    Also lowers triglycerides and LDL.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    When I was in high school my friends and I would almost daily go to the nearby burger king to hang out. Most often we just got soda but sometimes we ate there too.

There is not much at burger king I like these days but I will still occasionally get a whopper and remember all the fun times that I had there.

Unfortunately most of my fond food memories come with a caloric cost but in moderation I am able to occasionally enjoy.

Those Nanaimo bars are interesting. I think I would have to find a way to cut the richness some for me. I wonder how it would work to add some instant coffee to the filling and drop the sugar to half. I am not a baker so I don't really know how to change the measurements. I have never even seen custard powder that I am aware of.

I really only cook savory and all my dessert concoctions are fruit based with very little sweetener.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited May 2019
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Pierogies & potatoes in general; staple in Polish cooking. Comfort food is a good way of remembering my Grandfather who as a WW2 chef & restaurateur. Potatoes aren't necessarily unhealthy in themselves (more so problematic when people get carried away with all the "fixin's"...copious butter, oil, cheese, sour cream, etc.)

It was just pierogi day at the Polish Home (hall) here! Huge line to get pierogis. I'm not Polish, but yum regardless. (There might have been just a little sour cream . . . and sauteed onions. ;) ) :yum:

One of these days I am going to need to try some freshly prepared pierogies. I have only had them out of the freezer section and I have always found them underwhelming.
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,902 Member
    Pierogies & potatoes in general; staple in Polish cooking. Comfort food is a good way of remembering my Grandfather who as a WW2 chef & restaurateur. Potatoes aren't necessarily unhealthy in themselves (more so problematic when people get carried away with all the "fixin's"...copious butter, oil, cheese, sour cream, etc.)

It was just pierogi day at the Polish Home (hall) here! Huge line to get pierogis. I'm not Polish, but yum regardless. (There might have been just a little sour cream . . . and sauteed onions. ;) ) :yum:

One of these days I am going to need to try some freshly prepared pierogies
    . I have only had them out of the freezer section and I have always found them underwhelming.

You won't regret it. :)

Love my nostalgic comfort foods.

PB and fluff sandwich, at least an inch thick.
    Grilled cheese with tomato soup.
    Oreos - The. Whole. Package. With milk of course.
    Capt'n Crunch cereal with crunch berries

I need to stop thinking about this right now lol.

Yeah, good memories associated with that lot.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    I also forgot that, as a family, Friday and Saturday were taco night and pizza night, respectively. They started out as simple convenience meals, but then slowly morphed until we were getting pretty snazzy with homemade shells and pizza dough along with our favorite ingredients and experimenting with sauces and whatnot. It's become a very enjoyable thing, although I only do pizza night with my parents now that I've moved out.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    edited May 2019
    seafood-gumbo.jpg
    Seafood Gumbo

south-louisiana-white-beans-and-rice-720x400.jpg
    Navy beans and rice

These dishes bring back such strange and wonderful memories for/to me. My mother was the primary cook in the house and a very good one. Every once and a while, my father would get in the kitchen to cook and it was days filled with angst and woe for me BIGTIME...because he would prepare these dishes above and more like them and I was super picky and skinny as a rail/toothpick in those days and REFUSED on pains of death to eat these dishes, because even though the smelled okay (actually STRANGE but kinda delicious), they looked horrid! Again, I absolutely REFUSED to eat MANY/MOST dishes my beloved daddy would cook. What's so strange and funny/wonderful to me is these dishes are the absolute BOMBdotCOM to/for me now. What wonderful dishes I missed out on in my youth because they looked GROSS and I was picky.
    When I now eat these dishes, it brings back such wonderful memories of my daddy--these dishes, much like the "crazy ole coot" stories and sayings he was ALWAYS trying to teach me, I see now as filled with wisdom and super mega ultra goodness!
  • erekstrusinski1989
    erekstrusinski1989 Posts: 42 Member

One of these days I am going to need to try some freshly prepared pierogies. I have only had them out of the freezer section and I have always found them underwhelming.

You wont regret it