Maintainers Weekly Check In - May 2019

Replies

• Faebert
    Faebert Posts: 1,588 Member
    Happy anniversary @pkweier! 25 years - that’s silver, right? V impressive - enjoy your celebrations x
  • erjones11
    erjones11 Posts: 422 Member
    Name: Eric
    Height: 6’
    Total weight lost: 85 pounds
    Time it took to lose: 4 years
    How long in maintenance: Since September 2018 (7 Months)
    Maintenance weight range:155 – 165 150-155
    Average weight recorded from 2018 (12 months): 180

Average weight recorded from April 2018: 195
    Average weight recorded from May 2018: 184
    Average weight recorded from June 2018: 180
    Average weight recorded from July 2018: 172
    Average weight recorded from August 2018: 165
    Average weight recorded from September 2018: 160
    Average weight recorded from October 2018: 159
    Average weight recorded from November 2018: 159
    Average weight recorded from December 2018: 159
    Average weight recorded from January 2019: 155
    Average weight recorded from February 2019: 155
    Average weight recorded from March 2019: 154
    Average weight recorded from April 2019: 155.04

Week of...
    5/4/2019: 156.8 pounds
    5/11/2019: 154.7
    5/18/2019: 152.2

Success(es)/struggle(s) of the week: Solid week for tracking calories and doing exercise. Down again in weight. Going to up workout calorie logging again.

Instead of eating back or logging half going to move up to ¾ or .75 to one. You may recall eating all back caused weight gain.

I also discovered that my steps were being doubled counted as I was logging my walks as exercise and my iWatch was also pushing some to MFP. I have turned this off and am manually tracking all exercise calories going forward.

Have a good week maintainers!
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 12,941 Member
    pkweier wrote: »
    Faebert wrote: »
    Happy anniversary @pkweier! 25 years - that’s silver, right? V impressive - enjoy your celebrations x

Thanks yes it's Silver, never thought we make it that long although hubby learn Yes Dear real well. :) LOL

It's a big milestone. Enjoy every moment, and good wishes for another 25!
  • Addictead
    Addictead Posts: 66 Member
    edited May 2019
    Addictead wrote: »
    Name: Elle
    Height: 5'2
    Total weight lost: 36 LBS
    Time it took to lose: 10 months
    How long in maintenance: 10 days +-, Been stopping and starting since the beginning of the year
    Maintenance weight range: 126-131
    Average weight recorded from 2018: N/A
    I'm not sure of my averages for the last few months either

Week of...
    May 5: 127.0
    May 12:
    May 19:
    May 26:

My struggle right now is mindless eating and nibbling of things throughout the day. I have 3 meals+snack everyday and I'm not hungry but whenever I'm making something, or putting up leftovers or just in the kitchen I'll pop things into my mouth without even thinking I'm adding 5-10-30 calories extra into my day without even accounting for it in my log. Tasting is fine, But I need to stop snacking on food as I'm cooking

Week of...
    May 12: 127.7
    May 19:
    May 26:

Struggle of the week: This week was rough, I underate the beginning of the week then had 3 days around 2500-3000. My average is up 0.7 pounds(my app says 0.4 gained) and I believe I gained something from that because I ended the week with about a 500 daily surplus averaging out, But I also started my period so that throws my weight up too.

Sucess: I tracked everything even overages. I've never gained while tracking before usually I get frustrated and fall off but this time I DID gain but carried on and learned(I'm very sensitive to undereating). So I'm taking my 0.4/0.7 gain with pride to do better

Week goals :smile: I'm trying to eat on the lower end of my maintaince calories to hopefully start tracking 125/126 week averages because I prefer being there even though my range goes up to 131.
  • Tolstolobik
    Tolstolobik Posts: 78 Member
    Name: Elle
    Height: 5'2
    Total weight lost: 36 LBS
    Time it took to lose: 10 months
    How long in maintenance: 10 days +-, Been stopping and starting since the beginning of the year
    Maintenance weight range: 126-131
    I'm not sure of my averages for the last few months either

Week of...
    May 12:
    May 19:
    May 26:

My struggle right now is mindless eating and nibbling of things throughout the day. I have 3 meals+snack everyday and I'm not hungry but whenever I'm making something, or putting up leftovers or just in the kitchen I'll pop things into my mouth without even thinking I'm adding 5-10-30 calories extra into my day without even accounting for it in my log. Tasting is fine, But I need to stop snacking on food as I'm cooking

Week of...
    May 12: 127.7
    May 19:
    May 26:

Struggle of the week: This week was rough, I underate the beginning of the week then had 3 days around 2500-3000. My average is up 0.7 pounds(my app says 0.4 gained) and I believe I gained something from that because I ended the week with about a 500 daily surplus averaging out, But I also started my period so that throws my weight up too.

Sucess: I tracked everything even overages. I've never gained while tracking before usually I get frustrated and fall off but this time I DID gain but carried on and learned(I'm very sensitive to undereating). So I'm taking my 0.4/0.7 gain with pride to do better

Week goals :smile: I'm trying to eat on the lower end of my maintaince calories to hopefully start tracking 125/126 week averages because I prefer being there even though my range goes up to 131.

I can relate. My appetite increases significantly after a couple of days of 200-300 cals under my maintenance calories.
    Good for you for carrying on with tracking when going over your goal! Observe, modify and move on. You are doing great!
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,951 Member
    Name: Kathryn
    Height: 5'3.5"
    Total Weight lost: ~80 lbs
    Time it took to lose: 2 years 3 months
    How long in maintenance: I called maintenance in July 2016, but I continued to slowly lose until December of 2017. I have been in maintenance since December 2017
    Maintenance weight range: 115 - 120 lbs

Average weight recorded from 2018: 118.8

Average weight recorded from December: 116.9
    Average weight recorded from January: 115.9
    Average weight recorded from February: 115.4
    Average weight recorded from March: 117.2
    Average weight recorded from April: 116.8

Week of...
    May 5: 115.2 scale/ 116.0 trend
    May 12: 117.0 scale/ 115.7 trend
    May 19: 114.4 scale/ 115.7 trend
    May 26:

Success(es)/struggle(s) of the week: My trend weight is the same today as it was last Monday. My scale weight was higher than usual last Monday, and lower than usual today. That is why I think a trending app is so helpful. I am kind of glad that I am on the low end today. We are leaving tomorrow to go on vacation. I am not planning to go crazy, but I am planning to enjoy myself and not worry about what I am eating. If I go over then I go over. I know that every day won't be like that and I will enjoy the vacation. I will try to stay active, but I'm not going to worry too much about that either. I was supposed to run a half marathon on Saturday that was cancelled due to severe weather, so I just ran 13.1 miles by myself yesterday. I figure I need a cutback week this week anyway. We are going to Colorado and we'll do some hiking and I hope to get at least one run in. But we will also be eating out and I plan on eating what I want and not stressing about calories. I know that however much I am up next week will be mostly, if not all, water weight and it will come back down soon. I'm not sure how missing several days of weighing will affect my averages, but I don't really care either.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,875 Member
    Name: Lesley
    Height: 155 cm (5’ 1”)
    Total weight lost: 22.5 kg (approx. 50 lb)
    Time it took to lose: 9 months
    How long in maintenance: a few weeks
    Maintenance weight range: 49 – 51 kg (108 – 112 lbs)
    Average weight recorded from 2018: max 72.5 kg in July, 56 kg in Dec

Average weight recorded from January: 54.7 kg
    Average weight recorded from February: 53.3 kg
    Average weight recorded from March: 51.7 kg
    Average weight recorded from April: 50.2 kg (110.7 lb)
    Week of...
    May 5: 49.1 kg (108 lb)
    May 13: 51.8 kg (114 lb)
    May 20: 49.6 kg (109 lb)
    May 27:
    Success(es)/struggle(s) of the week: As I expected, the excess weight was temporary and melted off quickly, but we were out on Saturday – to the theatre – had a light lunch but enjoyed a good dinner with cheesecake for dessert, yummy!
    Today I’m away again for a few days in my motorhome. This will be less of a challenge than staying in a hotel as we will be self catering quite a bit, but there will be temptations.

@MadisonMolly2017 "* Practicing leaving food on my plate at each meal if I eat away from home." Yes, this is something I really struggle with! I'm quite happy to say "no chips* please" or "swap the potatoes for extra greens" but once it's on my plate it is really hard not to eat it. The dinner on Saturday included spicy fried potatoes which were very nice but luckily they were served in a little bowl at the side so I was able to push them away to my boyfriend and he ate half of them.

*chips = fries*

@lesdarts180
    Congratulations on maintaining!
    I’m planning to reintroduce the Salt Shaker Technique! Where I douse what’s left with too much salt if waiter is not coming round to box what I’m not eating.

Refuse to Regain by Barbara Berkeley which someone on here recommended (Thank you!) has helped me a lot.

She writes about our being in a toxic food environment in the US. I thought that was a little extreme until I started realizing she had a good point. And then I realize were in a toxic environment with exercise, sleep, and stress as well. This has enabled me to not feel guilty if I leave food on my plate take other measures to improve my health.

Lesdarts - and all the others on this discussion board - I’m so glad to have your collective wisdom as we maintain. 🍀
  • sharondesfor935
    sharondesfor935 Posts: 89 Member
    Name: Sharon
    Height: 5'2"
    Total weight lost: 34 lbs
    Time it took to lose: 4 months
    How long in maintenance: 7 weeks
    Maintenance weight range: 115-125
    Start weight December 2018:153.5.

Average weight recorded January: 148.0
    Average weight recorded February: 138.8
    Average weight recorded March: 130.9
    Average weight recorded April: 123.7

Week of...
    May 5: 120.8
    May 12: 120.2
    May 17: 120.6

Success(es)/struggle(s) of the week: Food. Either I've fallen off the wagon or I've had an entire binge week, I'm not sure which.

First of all, that improved relationship with food that I thought I was developing? Not so much, it turns out. It was simply that I was doing all the grocery shopping for the past four months, and not bringing home stuff I couldn't eat. Well, my husband went Costco shopping about a week ago, and brought home a whole bunch of junk, but the kickers were fresh bakery cookies and some potato chips ("crisps" to everyone in the world except the US) that I swear are utter ambrosia. That did me in, guys. I think over the course of a week, I ate 5 or 6 of those cookies (at 200 calories each, that's an entire extra day of calories in one week!) and the entire bag of chips. An entire COSTCO bag. What is that, 16 pounds of chips and a billion calories?

I'm no longer feeling virtuous or healthy. That much junk food can't be exercised away, nor can I "rolling average" my way out. Nothing for it but to chalk it up to a piss-poor week of decisions and start fresh today. Which I've said, sadly, for the last several days to no avail.

I'm going back to my early January MFP entries to look for inspiration and motivation. I did something right to get myself rolling: what was it, and how do I get it back?

@MadisonMolly2017 Thanks for the book recommendation for "Refuse to Regain" by Barbara Berkeley. I think I'd best check it out, and quickly.
  • ItsAJourny
    ItsAJourny Posts: 69 Member
    Name: Sharon
    Height: 5'2"
    Total weight lost: 34 lbs
    Time it took to lose: 4 months
    How long in maintenance: 7 weeks
    Maintenance weight range: 115-125
    Start weight December 2018:153.5.

Average weight recorded January: 148.0
    Average weight recorded February: 138.8
    Average weight recorded March: 130.9
    Average weight recorded April: 123.7

Week of...
    May 5: 120.8
    May 12: 120.2
    May 17: 120.6

Success(es)/struggle(s) of the week: Food. Either I've fallen off the wagon or I've had an entire binge week, I'm not sure which.

First of all, that improved relationship with food that I thought I was developing? Not so much, it turns out. It was simply that I was doing all the grocery shopping for the past four months, and not bringing home stuff I couldn't eat. Well, my husband went Costco shopping about a week ago, and brought home a whole bunch of junk, but the kickers were fresh bakery cookies and some potato chips ("crisps" to everyone in the world except the US) that I swear are utter ambrosia. That did me in, guys. I think over the course of a week, I ate 5 or 6 of those cookies (at 200 calories each, that's an entire extra day of calories in one week!) and the entire bag of chips. An entire COSTCO bag. What is that, 16 pounds of chips and a billion calories?

I'm no longer feeling virtuous or healthy. That much junk food can't be exercised away, nor can I "rolling average" my way out. Nothing for it but to chalk it up to a piss-poor week of decisions and start fresh today. Which I've said, sadly, for the last several days to no avail.

I'm going back to my early January MFP entries to look for inspiration and motivation. I did something right to get myself rolling: what was it, and how do I get it back?

@MadisonMolly2017 Thanks for the book recommendation for "Refuse to Regain" by Barbara Berkeley. I think I'd best check it out, and quickly.

From my perspective, you did good spreading those cookies out over the course of the week. I would have had several a day. I also think I am doing good at maintenance but the minute I have treats in my house with no company, I go back to my old ways. But one day at a time, you will do it again! Don't worry about the past. Just start eating good again and throw in some exercise and you will begin to feel better. Over the long run, one week of being off track doesn't add up to that much. Good luck!
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 787 Member
    Name: Firecat1987
    Height:5'4
    Total weight lost: 49lbs
    Time it took to lose: 18 months
    How long in maintenance: 3 weeks
    Maintenance weight range: 130-140lbs

Average weight recorded from January: 155.3lbs
    Average weight recorded from February: 151.6lbs
    Average weight recorded from March: 148.4lbs
    Average weight recorded from April: 144.7lbs

Week of...
    May 5: 144.4
    May 12:144.8
    May 19:144.6
    May 26:

Success(es)/struggle(s) of the week: Going fairly well so far. The balancing is going well, even with my ever increasing date nights! I've got a salivary gland infection (of all things) that started on Sunday so I've had to cut back my cals because i'm not able to workout for a few more days. The left side of my face looks like a puffer fish. I'm hoping to see either the same weight or a lesser weight next week due to no need for muscle repair (water weight). We shall see! Antibiotics and steroids for the win!