Flu and calorie restriction

Hey all! Am doing well on my weight loss journey so far, but I've fallen sick and I am struggling a lot with cravings. Does this resonate with anyone else? I had to up my daily calories by 500 (still well below my daily requirement to maintain weight) but I just constantly feel like eating and I can't shake the feeling. I'm about to make a smoothie with carrots, strawberries, rhubarb and cucumber just to give me something to put in my stomach, but I could easily eat a whole pizza right now.

Replies

• MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    When you are sick, first and foremost worry about getting better. Your calorie goals will be here when you get back. So I say if you feel like you need some comfort food, have some comfort food.
  • Thanks to both of you for the helpful perspectives - I will not go above maintenance calories to be in the safe side and not undo all my good work, but I will definitely allow myself a little bit more leeway while I am feeling ill.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    It happens,, Its mind over matter. Before you eat something, look at the macros and see if its worth it.
    For me, after while, I say its not worth it, and I 'll eat something else.
  • Totally forgot to thank everyone for the input!
    Eating maintenance until health returns now seems like the best strategy to me.
    I should clarify "comfort food" - I am obese so comfort food means a whole pizza, milkshake, a litre of ice cream and maybe if you are lucky, a side of creamed spinach or broccoli. I think it is OK to say no to all that, particularly because none of that food is going to provide my body with the nutrients it needs to heal itself.
    Looking at the macros upfront is now something that I try to live by - cravings will come and go but it seems to be more about making healthy choices consistently to get somewhere.

Thank you all for your support!!