If you suddenly came into a lot of money, what would you change?

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    I'd cut back to part time at work. I like my job, but no more of that 8hrs a day nonsense. If I finished my experiment for the day time to go!

Travel more.

Hire a contractor to redo my kitchen.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Hire a legitimate attorney. Not breathe a word of winning and fight for an invisible state.
    Pay off my house
    Pay off my kids houses
    Hire someone to cook good healthy meals for refridgeration (hate cooking).
    Donate alot to the research of the diabetes assn.
    Donate alot to my university that I work at....just to my department to be gutted and redone or NO deal!
    Donate to a women shelter and family home that will keep them safe and ready them for a productive future.
    I would continue to work.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    dsboohead wrote: »
    Hire a legitimate attorney. Not breathe a word of winning and fight for an invisible state.
    Pay off my house
    Pay off my kids houses
    Donate alot to my university that I work at....just to my department to be gutted and redone or NO deal!
    Donate to a women shelter and family home that will keep them safe and ready them for a productive future.

Continue to work? work?

Like a real job.... work, work?

I too would not resign.

That is, I wouldn't take the time or effort to resign, nor would I answer the telephone or reply to emails.

By resigning, you would have to say things like:

"I enjoyed my time here."

"I just think the world of everyone in this organization."

"If there's anything I can do or if you have any questions, just feel free to contact me."

Nope.... I wouldn't feel like saying or doing any of that.

I suppose that sooner or later my employer would think: "yeah, he probably doesn't work her any longer."

*shrug
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    sboohead wrote: »
    Pay off my house
    Pay off my kids houses

Continue to work? work?

I too would not resign.

That is, I wouldn't take the time or effort to resign, nor would I answer the telephone or reply to emails.

"If there's anything I can do or if you have any questions, just feel free to contact me."

I suppose that sooner or later my employer would think: "yeah, he probably doesn't work her any longer."

*shrug

You'd buy a ticket to Australia, right? 😉
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Pay off my house
    Pay off my kids houses

Continue to work? work?

I too would not resign.

*shrug

Darn Right.

Australia has a beach or two, amiright??

• slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    Pay off my house
    Pay off my kids houses

Continue to work? work?

I too would not resign.

*shrug

Darn Right.

Australia has a beach or two, amiright??

Yes, one or two.. you might even get to see one if I let you out of my room 😁
  • Allgaun
    Allgaun Posts: 221 Member
    I have a ton of relatives I think I'd spend a lot of time dodging them.

Honestly I would buy a cottage in the Catskills and a place in Florida. I like my condo so I would keep that and just travel as much as I want.

Spend time at all my places and explore new ones.
  • lorri71
    lorri71 Posts: 95 Member
    I would buy a house, take care of my family finacially, start a business, set up a charity to help the homeless and those in poverty, donate some to cancer research....the list is endless....I'd better do the lottery!
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    If I suddenly won a million dollar lottery, say $600,000 after taxes I would
    -buy a house (a nice house in my area runs about $100,000)
    - pay off the last of my student loans ($15,000)
    -college funds for my two nieces ($50,000 each)
    - pay for a new roof for my church (about $50,000 I would guess)
    -give my brother $50,000 for his loans (wouldn’t cover all but a big chunk)
    - one absolutely awesome trip to Disney World! ($10,000 max)
    Spent about $325,000 and then invest the rest
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    dsboohead wrote: »
    Pay off my house
    Pay off my kids houses

Yes, seriously if you ever win the lottery work with an attorney to establish a Trust, with you as the sole trustee and then when you collect your winnings, the Trust's name gets published, not yours!
  • Muldactus
    Muldactus Posts: 6,972 Member
    Hmm.

. Pay off all my debt
    . Buy a new pickup for hauling materials and horses
    . Buy a horse trailer.
    . Build a new home to my specifications
    . Buy more woodworking equipment
    . Buy a new home theater system with sound good enough for an audiophile
    . Buy a new car for myself.
    . Go part time at my job (if they'd let me - quit if they won't) and go back to school to finish my degree.
  • thultisu5539
    thultisu5539 Posts: 3 Member
    Oh man.... Pay off hkuse, vehicles, and student loans. Take my kids on adventures and absorb every little minute before they're all passed.... If we had the means, I wouldn't worry so much about the things that take up my time in the race to survive, thrive, and generally "make it" and I would slow the heck down and simply live. I'd take my 6 year old hang gliding as she is always dreaming about flying like a bird. We would have a small house on a small hobby farm with horses, chickens, and a cow. That kind of work and care is good for the soul and for kids. I'd get our family each a little house paid off that will have little bills (taxes and utilities and such so they can maintain) and a vehicle and camper. After that, they can do as they wish with it all as it'll all be paid off. And 100,000 bucks to invest as they wish. I think I would love to be a part of a charity that helped people who graduate pay off student loans and homes... Or finish school.
    I'm at a place in my life where I am having a hard time thinking of a frivolous thing to do! I would love to mountain bike more. And spend a summer in Yellowstone.
  • thultisu5539
    thultisu5539 Posts: 3 Member
    Why are you asking? What would YOU do if you had seemingly unlimited funds?
  • Reckoner67
    Reckoner67 Posts: 3,344 Member
    Why are you asking? What would YOU do if you had seemingly unlimited funds?

I'd pay off the last of my debts, buy some land in northern Michigan, build an off-grid cabin and spend my days working to sustain my life up there.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Buy some land on Proxima Centauri.
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Pay off my student loans, a new house away from everyone, and a nice lump sum to go into my daughter's trust fund :)
  • sheloves89
    sheloves89 Posts: 88 Member
    I would change my student debt load. :D

Buy a farm, some land, some goats and some chickens, and support my partner. Otherwise, nothing would change; I love my job!
  • samtarlyonadiet
    samtarlyonadiet Posts: 917 Member
    I'd have another man trim my face forest
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    I'd have another man trim my face forest

Pretty sure @CaptainFantastic01 would do it right now for free.